MK 5 owners. If you were ordering again......

Soulboy

..........What spec would you choose, having now owned one?

I personally would stick with the shadow Blue and the armrest.

BUT I would go for the manual instead of the DSG and get the leather Recaros instead of the standard leather seats (just to give it a bit more of the hard edge which the mk4 had and I miss).

I would also get the parking sensors and folding ears.

Still love the car though grin.gif

Anyone else?

Interesting question !

As you know, my fully spec'd R32 is on it's way and I've been driving my first MkV R since December. The thing I miss the most from my MkIV R has been the sunroof. I hate the cabin environment without it and thank god my new R will have a sunroof.

I also agree with you on manual over DSG. My brothers new Passat is DSG and whilst it is a lovely drive, it's too uninvolving for me. I can understand why someone further South would enjoy the DSG with the greater volumes of traffic allied to the stop/start driving but up here this is not so much of an issue.

Apart from that, armrest is a must, Highline over Midline DIS any day and the standard seats in Leather are more than adequate IMHO !! 169144-ok.gif

I bought mine from dealer stock so....

It came with a base spec that I'd keep - 5dr DSG, Shadow Blue, leather, armrest, winter pack - but I'd dump the 'phone prep and add sunroof, cruise, parking sensors and folding mirrors.

Quite a few more BHP would be good as well :-) And a boot that took a set of golf clubs would help.

Me and the DSG had quite a few ups and downs to start but now that we understand each other I wouldn't change. I'd agree that driving it strictly as an auto gives an uninspiring drive but treat it as a clutchless manual and its great.

Interesting comment on golf clubs. Drives me mad how a VW Golf cannot have a boot that will accommodate a full set of clubs !! I'm interested to see what the new Passat Coupe will look like when it arrives next year, as the saloon Passat has a huge boot and the Coupe could be a whole new adventure !! 169144-ok.gif

I also got mine stock from the dealers, a 5dr in black with std seats in leather. I would defo add the armrest and the radio upgrade and would probably go for the grey metallic. Having said that, absolutely over the moon with the car as it is!

Only had mine 10 days, so pretty happy with it as it is. Still like the steel grey, defintely stick with std leather, glad I got the armrest, Highline & folding mirrors. Had the cruise fitted afterwards for £150 so I still wouldn't factory order that, but I would like parking sensors but it looks like I can get these fitted & colour coded for less than £150 (not VW) so I'm very happy overall. I did consider selling the wheels before the car was used and get the BBS 19" CH's but having lived with it for a short while the look of the wheels is growing on me & I think they suit the car. Had Paintshield fitted a week ago & although I'm aware it's there particularly across the bonnet,its better than stone chips.

Um! bin the phone prep................waste of time as you cant get a cradle for a mobile, unless it was made,about the time, that you used to get a "proper sized" spare in your boot when you bought a motor!............

That is about it I guess...........must be fairly happy with her then! grin.gif

I cannot understand people dissing DSG.

OK so you want to drop down 2 or 3 gears, well click your left hand paddle quickly 2 or 3 times. the longest it will take is 1 second, less than half a second if your dropping 2 gears, as 2 down is on the same shaft and "ready to roll" so to speak.

I guarantee that the change will be faster and smoother than a manual. The throttle auto blips if you need that extra push out of a corner as well.

Immesurably better on slow then fast winding country roads.

I wouldn't change DSG for anything on mine.

I bet you won't see F1 going back to stick shift in the near future either!

But each to their own eh ? 1.gif

would avoid the RCD500 + soundpack if ordering again.

if any prospective buyers thinks this even gets close to the Dynaudio or Audi Bose setup then think again.

now about to spend 1-2k on sorting the problem sekret.gif

other than that I fecking smlove2.gif the thing. a good car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit, I miss being able to quickly drop a few gears. i also dislike the box dropping an extra gear for me when I floor it in manual. also, 'auto sport' mode can be a little too frantic sometimes.. could do with a 'auto brisk' mode too. still can't work out what gear i'm in sometimes as i struggle with subtraction when i've got my eyes shut, keep needing to blink and stick it back in auto when i hit a slow roundabout or junction. think i need more practice...

Would have speced the soundpack option as the standard speakers give way at around 50% volume. can't be that bad can they? my last three boses weren't that much better than the RCD500. what have you got in mind as a replacement?

[ QUOTE ]

what have you got in mind as a replacement?

[/ QUOTE ]

a combination of DSP unit , 4-channel amp, replacement front (6) speakers & dynamat in the doors. Keeping the RCD500 which is why the DSP is needed.

just need to find the right amp.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am perhaps being a bit hasty in saying I would go for the manual, as I have only done 2k with DSG so far. Just that slight lull as it knocks down a cog or two, which has left me with a few close shaves.

I must admit I dont like it at all in auto mode, as it seems to take too long to select a gear when you spot a quick gap at a roundabout and put your foot down.

In tiptronic it is growing on me as I am getting more familiar with it - but I guess it will take more than 2 months driving for it to become second nature after driving manual cars for 25 years!

drove the dsg as the demo car and i must say i found it made you feel remote from the car...this maybe cause i'm not a regular automatic car driver...i just feel that manual makes you feel more a part of the driving experience....different strokes for different folks though..

[ QUOTE ]

Do you get the option of having an OEM amp with one of the Audio options on the MK5?

My MK4 came with an OEM amp

MK4 OEM Amp Picture

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the soundpack includes an amp located under the passenger seat. Only problem is that it's dung.gif

I've now found the right amp to complete my intended new setup and will have things sorted in around 10 days. All discreet and the OEM head unit remains. Will post spec and a review when the job is complete.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just that slight lull as it knocks down a cog or two

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello - Are you driving a DSG?

1 cog down takes less than .3 of a second without taking your hands off the wheel and without even having to move your left foot!

You guys must have lightening quick reflexes!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Just that slight lull as it knocks down a cog or two

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello - Are you driving a DSG?

1 cog down takes less than .3 of a second without taking your hands off the wheel and without even having to move your left foot!

You guys must have lightening quick reflexes!

[/ QUOTE ]

In auto mode it wants to get in 6th gear as soon as possible for economy reasons.

If you approach a roundabout at say 20-30mph and see a small gap I would have it in 2nd or 3rd already in a manual.

Put your foot down in auto with the DSG and it takes time for it to realise you dont want 6th, 5th, or 4th but 2nd or 3rd to belt through that little gap. Couple of times I have been caught out like this.

I am therefore just using tiptronic (which is great!) apart from city centre crawling for this reason.