Remaps - APR vs AmD etc.

Panman

While idly waiting my my R32, I've happened upon a local (Brisbane Australia) VAG tuner who sells and fits the APR units. I've seen a bit of discussion around AmD and Revo, does anyone have any comments on APR - good, bad, ugly? (The local guy also does the Haldex upgrades so this is attractive)

Don't even get me started....APR biggest waste of time and money ever. Absolutely no support...even ended up cutting off my tuner when he refused to keep burning their code as it wasn't making a difference and they weren't doing anything to sort it out.

Got incredibly rude replies to any emails I sent them.

Spoke to Awesome who were still happily remapping despite my dynos showing no benefit (actually loss of 1bhp compared to 6463)...this was at the point when Awesome didn't even have a dyno (but apparently customers were still 'happy' with the remap). Awesomes reply to my concerns was that it wasn't APR's fault that VW had 'finally caught up with the improvements that APR had made on the car' - despite the fact that the 6463 rendered the code I'd had on the car for around 2 months useless.

This was after waiting about 3 months for APR to update their code to include the 6463 changes to the base code (their 'stock' program is still the v1 code btw).

Never saw any of my cash again...

You can see why I'm not impressed with them!

b0b

[ QUOTE ]

Of everyone I know who has had an APR remap, they've not been happy with it. But I don't know anyone who's had one done on the R32.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mook, you know what they say mate, "There`s always one", and that one is me bud. grin.gif

Had Awesome GTI re-map my Mk V GTI earlier this year, and I couldn`t be happier with it (although I`m now selling the car for a Beemer, for different reasons).

The re-map has made a MAJOR difference to the power-output, and there is torque everywhere in the rev-range.

Don`t know what it`d be like on an R32, but on the GTI, the APR worked for me. 169144-ok.gif

When I had the R32 I couldn't see any point in remapping a std R32. If you got cams, tuning, exhaust, fueling, etc all jiggered with then YES a remap is probably a good idea but to spend £500+ for a few extra (if you're lucky) HP just seems like a huge waste of moeny.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi encee > A re-map is always going to give much bigger power hikes on a turbo'd car (GTI rather than R32).

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin, no problem mate. 169144-ok.gif

What I was getting at was Mook`s assertion that he knew of nobody that was ever happy with an APR re-map, which I (as you well know grin.gif) am, of course.

Feel a bit sorry sometimes for the naturally aspirated boys, as they never seem to gain too much hp from their mods, whereas turbo, as you say, respond particularly well.

A bit of a moot point on the CTR forum I used to hang out on.............. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Personally if I had a Mk5 R32 I would only mod the exhaust to a Milltek, change the alloys, and probably the suspension to KoniFSD+Eibach Anti-roll bars and leave it at that. Unless I was doing track days I just wouldn't feel the need for extra power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having been messed around by a certain supplier for a remap, I've decided to do exactly what you're suggesting Robin 169144-ok.gif

Just waiting for Koni to release the FSD kit for the MkV, Neuspeed to create their roll-bar offering and I'll be leaving it at that.

The Milltek has made such a difference to the car that I see no need for a remap now - it drives superbly and if I go for an extra 15-20 hp I'd want to do brakes etc.

Maybe in 40k miles time I'll reconsider but for the time being it doesn't matter to me that the .:R is not as quick as my last Impreza, or any M3 smile.gif

I'm tending to agree with all the thoughts here, although Miltek may be a little difficult to come by down under. Fortunatley I have another option for pipework...

I'm definitely interested in the Haldex upgrade

I do a significant number of track days... So a set of track wheels and tyres is def. on the list.

After an EVO, a couple of WRXs (Aussie spec so not what you call an WRX in the UK) and an STi, I'd been a little spoiled by big power gains from remapping and pipework...

Still we all have to grow up sometime (just not yet grin.gif)

Thanks for all the advice thus far! znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Still we all have to grow up sometime (just not yet grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

....Nope! "I don't mind growing old, just as long as I don't have to grow up!"

Btw, check out the GTI forum cos a few of them Ozzies there are getting Millteks. Also, when I last spoke to Milltek's MD he said Australia was no problem.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just waiting for Koni to release the FSD kit for the MkV, Neuspeed to create their roll-bar offering and I'll be leaving it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Richard....I assume from your post then that the FSD kit would be different for the Mk5 .:R than the GTI. Likewise for the ARBs. I think mine are Jetta. Have a chat with AwesomeGTI they are very helpful.

[ QUOTE ]

Robin, Koni are producing a MkV .:R FSD kit but it's still in development. Will give Awesome a call as you have sugested 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AMD have two suspension kits on their site now.

I wonder if these are any good, or if it's worth waiting for the Koni setup?

[ QUOTE ]

Of everyone I know who has had an APR remap, they've not been happy with it. But I don't know anyone who's had one done on the R32.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif I had the '6 hour free trial' from APR on my Mk4 R32 - it lasted weeks, so long in fact I actually declared it to my insurance company smashfreakB.gif

crazy.gif Then when I came to get the 6463 update, VW couldn't update my ECU and had to replace it - luckily under warranty UHOH7.GIF

frown.gif So from personal experience I afraid I couldn't reccomend APR 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Robin, Koni are producing a MkV .:R FSD kit but it's still in development. Will give Awesome a call as you have sugested 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AMD have two suspension kits on their site now.

I wonder if these are any good, or if it's worth waiting for the Koni setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

am waiting to hear some feedback from someone who is having the KW variant 3 kit fitted to their MkV to see whether this is too severe for my needs.

IMO Koni FSD + ARBs will be the right way to go as I don't want to lower the car if at all possible. But if the KW kit is a real winner I may be persuaded.

Incidentally I phone Awesome and they couldn't tell me whether their ARB product was suitable for the MkV .:R, nor could they tell me the standard rear ARB thickness. Guess I won't be using either AMD or Awesome then ROLLEY~14.GIFsuicide.gif

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Guess I won't be using either AMD or Awesome then

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither as Awesome told me one thing when i ring to find out if the parts i ordered have been posted yet,then they kindly told me they didn't have any of the bits in stock, let alone know when they were going to get any of the bits in and didn't even bother phoning myself to tell me about this mad.gif so won't be using them again, and after our doomed visit to AMD recently don't think i will be popping along there either in a hurry, tho the girls in costa are worth the effort... grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

Sorry to hear about your experience with Awesome, guys. They put me in direct contact with Eibach when I was asking about ARBs. I don't have any complaints with Awesome - Quite the contrary, and I have bought a lot from them. I view them as a supplier only though.

Richard > Re KoniFSDs, they only lower about 5mm so they can work properly as intended. They are deffo the way to go imo if for road rather than track use. Some of the supercars have them as standard OEM. Track is a different ball game as those such as Mook will be able to advise you far better than myself.

See ya again at Brighton one day soon I hope 169144-ok.gif.

Ive sold my r32 now, APR was poo i think it actually slowed the car down and awsome were not much better, as soon as i took it off and but vw upgrade on the car it was fantastic what a complete waste of money.

• 1 month later...