• Moro Blue (Pearlescent)
    • Liquid Blue (Metallic)
    • Dolphin [dark] Grey (Metallic)
    • Quartz [light] Grey (Metallic)
    • Silver (Metallic)
    • Dakar Beige (Metallic)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Really the S4 is more efficient than that???

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to get less than 235 miles from a tank, and that's normal road use (although not hanging about). I'm sure those who've tracked their S4s will have though! FIREdevil.gif

I usually get around 275-290 to a tank. Best so far was 320.

RJGreen is our resident S4 fuel economy champ. bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I recon if i put my mind to it over a 5 day period i could see more than 400

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, another question, as the car doesn't have a Turbo, will it not give me a nice kick to the acceleration, like my TDI does now, or my wife's T FSI does?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never go back to a turbo again. EEK2.GIFgrin.gif

I immediately found the rev limiter in 2nd just heading down the road accelerating in the same way I have to in the TT to get the turbo spooling. grin.gif

Now I prefer turbos to NA for the kick but then I did have them cobbled on to a 4.2 so it is maybe unfair.

I don't think there is the slightest chance you will miss the turbos if you change to an S4 from your current ride, Sparky 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've yet to get less than 235 miles from a tank

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy if I get that from my S3.

With regard to N/A vs. Turbo, you won't miss the turbo at all. The V8 will sound so amazing that the progressive acceleration will feel much better than the turbo boost acceleration.

My old SLK 320 V6 felt faster than my current S3, but over the same roads and the same markers, the S3 is a little faster..

The noise makes up for the lack of Turbo. 169144-ok.gif

Why an S4 though? Why not an M3, or, if you don't need 4 seats something like a boxter and use your wife's car when you need the extra space?

So who are the people that bought their car as a non-everyday car?

Surely it wasn't bought as a track car coz in that role it's very flawed? To use it just for weekends seems to be very wasteful. Even with low mileage the cost in depreciation would still be big.

Sorry but I don't get not having it as a regular car....unless you're minted.

[ QUOTE ]

tiptronic cars are a fair bit more economical than the manuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't believe that statement when I read it but the Audi figures do back up what you say. Surely that has got to be marketing BS by Audi though?

By the very nature of an automatic (it has a torque converter) it wastes energy therefore fuel. I've never come across any other car where the auto has better quoted economy figures than the manual!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

tiptronic cars are a fair bit more economical than the manuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't believe that statement when I read it but the Audi figures do back up what you say. Surely that has got to be marketing BS by Audi though?

By the very nature of an automatic (it has a torque converter) it wastes energy therefore fuel. I've never come across any other car where the auto has better quoted economy figures than the manual!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not marketing BS. This is based on real life experience. The reason that the tips are more economical, is due to their much higher gearing in 6th. A manual is about 25mph per 1000rpm, and a tip is about 32mph per 1000rpm. This more than compensates for the inefficencies of the fluid torque converter.

It's got a big V8 - no turbo required with that level of torque. With certain notable exceptions (i.e. RS6, big Merc's) turbo's are normally fitted to small 4 pot engines to give bigger performance, with better economy!! Only it doesn't seem to work too well as my mate's Impreza goes like my S4 and drinks like it too!! 169144-ok.gif

I haven't read all the posts on this (70 replies and counting) as quite frankly, I'm busy grin.gif

Sparky, I ran all the numbers out before I went for the SE s-line. Personally, I don't want an out of warranty car for fear of big bills so I looked at a 1 year old S4, keeping it for 2 years and a new SE s-line, keeping if for 3 years (possibly less).

The 4 things to take into account are:

1. Depreciation

2. Petrol

3. Insurance

4. Servicing

For me:

1. The monthly depreciation of keeping a used S4 for 2 years vs a new SE s-line for 3 years was far greater (something like £150 a month more IIRC).

2. Because of the sort of miles I do, I'm only getting 24-25 mpg at the moment so for me, the fuel bill for the S4 would have been about 1.5 times what I'm paying now so say another £65/month.

3. Insurance. Ah. I had various quotes for an S4 and it was working out £500+ more than I pay now with much higher excesses.

4. The servicing was marginally more expensive. I have quattro now so would have shredded tyres at roughly the same rate and the cost of S4 servcing was slightly more the SE S-line but nothing to get excited about.

So after I did all the sums and had many weeks of turmoil, I opted for the SE s-line.

At the that particular time, I couldnt justify the extra costs in getting a used S4 vs a new SE s-line.

Doing what I have done, means I have kept the monthy cost of the car well below the budget I had allowed myself so I can keep my options open i.e. should I feel the urge to buy a B8 towards the end of 2007, I can do.

Not trying to p1ss on your chips but just my thoughts beerchug.gif