• Moro Blue (Pearlescent)
    • Liquid Blue (Metallic)
    • Dolphin [dark] Grey (Metallic)
    • Quartz [light] Grey (Metallic)
    • Silver (Metallic)
    • Dakar Beige (Metallic)

[ QUOTE ]

That's what I said grin.gif

As far as losing money, you'll lose the same amount but in the S4, over 2 years rather than 3 hence that's why I said it's an extra £150+ per month, every month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree if you are buying new, but an S4 will loose around 25% in the first 6 months these days, so buy a 6 month old one and I bet it looses less.

But, not everyone will want a 6 month old car, some people will always prefer a cheaper newer car.

I would rather have a £50k car for £35k that is 6 months old, we are all different.

Some sums on 2 cars over 3 years at 6.9% apr .....

55 plate S4

£30k with £2k deposit

£28k to fiance over 36 months at £483 month

Balloon payment £15k

06 plate 2.0T S-Line

£25k with £2k depoist

£23k to finance over 36 months at £455 a month

Balloon payment of £10k.

Both those should leave you with a couple of grand at the end to use as a deposit on the next car, so hardly anything in it.

If you bought a new S4 though, that spec comes to around £43k and after 3 years with £17k ballloon it would be £830 a month. So buy a 6 months old and bag a bargin. 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

So who are the people that bought their car as a non-everyday car?

Surely it wasn't bought as a track car coz in that role it's very flawed? To use it just for weekends seems to be very wasteful. Even with low mileage the cost in depreciation would still be big.

Sorry but I don't get not having it as a regular car....unless you're minted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without boring you all to sleep, let's look at the maths:

<font color="blue">pence per litre x mileage

------------------------------- = £ total cost

22 x mpg </font>

1200 miles a month in a 4.2 V8 S4 doing 20 mpg on 100 pence per litre Optimax results in a £3300 per year drink tab.

A very large running cost!

Doing exactly what John does - running a diesel daily driver - saves in mileage, depreciation, servicing (you need less of them), disposables like tyres, insurance (for you can limited-mileage it) and obviously fuel. You could also argue it saves in other ways such as car park dings.

Having said that, I went around the back of Sainsbury car park like usual this morning and found an extra wide parking-space that I had never spotted before! You would have thought I'd just won the lottery or something as I parked up and got out the car. Quite sad.

At present I bike to work rather than going by car as it is quicker, much less stressful and saves fuel. However, if I ever have enough disposable cash for a nuclear-powered Audi Avant quattro, I'll still keep a hatchback/tractor for mundane things like shopping, going the builders merchants' or the tip etc.

Milo, I personally think you are mad for buying new every 3 years / 24000 miles. It costs a fortune in depreciation! You must be loaded.

One of my colleagues is soon to sell his beloved RS6 for only a few grand more than your 2.0 TFSI. There is no way his will lose the same as yours over the next three years assuming equal mileage.

Of course the running costs would be in a different league, disposables such as brakes and tyres cost a fortune, insurance will cost almost twice as much and it will soon be out of warranty. 450 bhp though.....

Anyway, G'luck deciding Sparky! The fact you posted this up means you can afford as well as justify paying Shell £3300 per year.

Whilst 30k for a six-month-old B7 sounds like a bargain, I'd much rather save a further 8k and go for a 2003 B6 or 6k for a late 2003/2004 with some factory warranty left for added peace of mind - exactly like John's. When the B8 S4 comes out in a few years time, a 2003, 2004 or 2005 S4 will probably only cost within a few grand of each other.

Go for it....

Ian 169144-ok.gif

The maths make sense.

However, some people don't like driving round in a "manky" old car which has had about three or four "careful" owners. Sure, it has depreciated to around 50% of its original cost after three years, but more likely than not, it has above average mileage and may have been caned!

I went for an ex-demo (admittedly it may have been caned) with 7k miles on the clock. I paid less than 24k nearly a year ago for a car with a book price of nearly 30k.

I guess now I'd get 19k trade-in if I was lucky.

Lets face it, no one is going to make money with cars - its one of those things.

You may as well enjoy life whilst you can. If you can afford to buy and run an S4, then I say good luck to you. Buy whatever you want. If the worst comes to the worst - you can always sell it.

I would agree with Ian though - there are some great low mileage B6 examples about 1.5-2 years old.

Remember though, for any used car which is over three years old, you still get 12 months warranty. So, you may just as well go for one only 2 years old, which has the remaining 12 months of the original dealer warranty.

Good Luck Craig - I wish I was in your position.

[Note to self - I might have been had I not been impatient and bought four A4's on about 2 years..... smashfreakB.gif]

I really appreciate all the guidance/assistance and advice I'm getting here. notworthy.gif

I didn't manage to get a test drive thanks to an inconsiderate selfish customer who took it for an extended drive going well and truly into my appointment, by over an hour. I've re-booked but I can't get it for a month due to my workload and the A4/S4 meet, so looks like I'll be there in my A4. frown.gif

Talking about my A4, it tried to kill me tonight, so it knows it's going soon. mad.gif

Where abouts in the country are you Sparky?

Only reason for asking is that I'm on my travels over the next 2-3 weeks with meetings etc, one down south in London, one in Birmingham and one in the North West.

More than happy to take you on a TSN test drive if your can't get hold of one from Audi for a while.

I love Stella but she don't half make me illiterate!

[ QUOTE ]

Milo, I personally think you are mad for buying new every 3 years / 24000 miles. It costs a fortune in depreciation! You must be loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think you're mad, full stop tongue.gif

A few facts for you to add to your file on me:

1. It's funded by my company.

2. As such, I can't have a car over 4 years old.

3. My mileage is my mileage. Do you suggest I go out and clock up another 10,000/year just so I get my money's worth?

4. I like new cars. Where do you think used cars come from?

5. I know there a lot of powerful, faster used cars out there for £25k. But I don't want them. I want a new Audi.

ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funded by my company. ices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you get a bloody fuel card as well then. Bastard! tongue.gif

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

Go for the S4, it's a great car espicaly with an AMD stage 3

BTW cab is best for sound when combined with a Milltek

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love the Milltek upgrade, but unless it comes with one, I'll be waiting a little while. I'm very tempted by the one Gizze found (B7 shape), so enquiring about that at present.

Sparky just do it mate. Our resident miss daisy has shown that with delicate handling you can achieve good comsumption. Regarding depreciation there is little in it between a new B7 with all the toys and a B6 S4. The B7 may have a small advantage but, and it is a big BUT, the enjoyment and satisfaction you will get from a S4 will more than compensate for that. The B7 is newer and a good looking car. However, I have found I still get attention in my 3yr old B6. Why?. Because it is an S4.

Before getting the S4 I test drove the 2.0t sportback and 2.0t s-line se and after getting out of both I thought nice cars but where was the fun. Both had decent performance but nothing to make me grin like a cheshire cat. But in all fairness to both of them they had to at least match the performance of my s3. This neither could do.

You only live once. If your can afford it then do it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funded by my company. ices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you get a bloody fuel card as well then. Bastard! tongue.gif

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

I get to claim mileage so lets just say it doesn't cost me much out of my own pocket to run it wink.gif

As far as fuel bills go, I would have been better off with an S4 rather than a 2.0T suicide.gif

The 4.2 is in the very highest band for what you can claim (our bands are based on engine size) and is about 1.7 times what I can claim for the 2.0T.

So effectively, if I get 26 mpg from the 2.0T, as long as I got 15 mpg from an S4, I would be no worse off. Anything over 15 mpg would mean it would be cheaper to run (fuel costs) than the 2.0T.

I opted out of the company car scheme to avoid Gordon Brown's crippling taxes on high C02 cars and my employer seems to inadvertently encourage you to get a thirsty V8. Marvellous SMOKE6.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

As far as fuel bills go, I would have been better off with an S4 rather than a 2.0T. The 4.2 is in the very highest band for what you can claim (our bands are based on engine size) and is about 1.7 times what I can claim for the 2.0T. So effectively, if I get 26 mpg from the 2.0T, as long as I got 15 mpg from an S4, I would be no worse off. Anything over 15 mpg would mean it would be cheaper to run (fuel costs) than the 2.0T.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just doesn't make sense! suicide.gif

Never mind....

Ian