New 320i or 320d?

G8AMB

Hi I am considering changing my A4 for a 3 series.

It looks like my budget will stretch to either a new 320d or a 320i with a few extra toys (like sat nav).

My last couple of cars have been 2.0 litre A4s - so I have no real feeling for diesels. However I here great reports about the speed and economy of the 320d and certainly on paper it seems to run rings round it's petrol counterpart.

What are your views - I have heard the the 320i is a better drive - should I go for that, or stick my TomTom in the 320d.

P.S. I think I only really want the sat nav because I like the extended computer features and bluetooth phone integration it brings with it.

We have an '05 E46 320D and I'd not change it for a petrol car - I tried a 325i and that didn't do anything for me at all.

Our 320D has now come into its own, it's done 10k miles and is now quicker and much more economical.

I'd never buy a new one again because of this, let someone else spend a year running it in!

So, why not get a used 320D with Nav?

Don't forget the Alpina D3 at £27k, that should be a good crack grin.gif

Cheers

Ben

I'd defintely go for the d version. I've only driven one 320i and it felt very very flat. Less power and torque than the diesel IIRC.. BTW, bluetooth is not standard with nav, its a £500 odd extra, though I guess most cars with nav would have it.

Just my thoughts though...

Peter

G8AMB: Don`t know if this helps mate, but I`d never owned a diesel before I bought my 330d, but I absolutely love mine !

Obviously, it`s a bit different to the 320, but I`m sure you`ll enjoy the 320d.

The 320si does sound interesting also, but I believe that much of the power is at the top end of the rev-range, (which is what BMW intended of course); even more-so than the standard 320, so it will, no doubt, feel a LOT different to the power delivery of the 320d.

Have fun testing them all.............. grin.gif

I was pottering around in a pretty much brand spanking 320d auto at the weekend.

It had all the toys, and TBH, i prefer Tomtom to the BMW sat nav. The only thing the BMW did well, was have traffic info easily available (never tried this on tomtom)

Try and have a play with a BMW sat nav, see what you think, but i found the combination of satnav, air con, bluetooth phone and radio all on screen via the idrive quite confusing.

Haha!

To be fair I don't think the Alpinas are overpriced, it's just that they loose so much money, someone was saying on the m5 board that his B5 was costing him £1600 a month because of the residuals on it.

Compare that with an M5.

I wish Alpina would do a D35 using the new 3 litre d or i twin turbo, would be a good dog carrier in touring guise.

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah it has the M badges but it's not an M3 or anything. Not sure if these were just added on after. Anyway the interior is pretty ordinary, not a patch on the audi.

I don't lie the whole m-sport badge thing. It's a bit all fur coat and no knickers

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you on the M sport badging; a bit over the top IMO. FFS you can buy a 116i M Sport yelrotflmao.gif

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

An M sport shouldn't come with any M badges on it, they have been added.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from on the wheels, steering wheel, sill covers, gearknob etc etc grin.gif

I agree with some of the M Sport comments, I'm not into sheeps in wolves clothing. The other way around is fine, but a 116 or even a 320i in M Sport trim promises something it can't deliver. BMW aren't alone though, it's just the same over at Audi. A neighbour of mine has an A4 1.6 S Line, which just isn't right.

M Sport BMW's with 3.0 litre engines are fine of course grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But the M Sport package means it has the sporty suspension and wheels etc. but maybe they should drop the M bit, just call it a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

They already do a 'Sport' 1 series, along with base, ES, SE and M Sport confused.gif The Sport has Sports suspension; the M SPort has M Sport Suspension yelrotflmao.gif Madness IMO

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

An M sport shouldn't come with any M badges on it, they have been added.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apart from on the wheels, steering wheel, sill covers, gearknob etc etc grin.gif

I agree with some of the M Sport comments, I'm not into sheeps in wolves clothing. The other way around is fine, but a 116 or even a 320i in M Sport trim promises something it can't deliver. BMW aren't alone though, it's just the same over at Audi. A neighbour of mine has an A4 1.6 S Line, which just isn't right.

M Sport BMW's with 3.0 litre engines are fine of course grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, the things are covered in ///M badges grin.gif No problem, since the M division are apparently responsible for the suspension, but I do think the car should have enough 'go' to match the excess of 'show' tongue.gif 130i M Sport is completely fine by me, cracking little car. 116i M Sport - why bother confused.gif Spend the £2k-£3k the M Sport pack costs and buy a bigger engine grin.gif Much more fun surely...

Peter