Playstation 3

DaddyDub

Has anyone else noticed that Sony's 'definately real and exactly how launch titles will look' screenshots and demos are now not so real looking?

Tekken 6 Tech Demo:

ps3tekken1.jpg

Tekken 6 Actual Gameplay:

ps3tekken2.jpg

Motorstorm Video:

motorstormlie.jpg

Motorstorm In Game:

motorstormshame.jpg

When I bought my PSP I was really looking forward to GT4 for it too, and 2 years after that was first shown there has been NOTHING said about it.

Not that I'm calling Sony liars or anything, but, well, what a load of crap.

[ QUOTE ]

Could some one tell me what Blue Ray does (over an above a standard DVD player)?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the new formats for High Density DVD. Your normal DVD player will not play HD films.. there are two systems battling it out at the moment.. once backed by Sony and others is Blueray. The other (backed by other big brands) is HD DVD.

It's going to be a batttle much like VHS and Betamax.

[ QUOTE ]

sekret.gif a PS3 went for £5k at auction at this years British Grand Prix Ball, apparently its being used as a very expensive DVD player as it had no games with it EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time of the British Grand Prix there WEREN'T any PS3's, the hardware and firmware wasn't completed and it was still just non-final dev kits.

Was it not an auction for a launch day PS3 or something?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

sekret.gif a PS3 went for £5k at auction at this years British Grand Prix Ball, apparently its being used as a very expensive DVD player as it had no games with it EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time of the British Grand Prix there WEREN'T any PS3's, the hardware and firmware wasn't completed and it was still just non-final dev kits.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif my understanding was that he already has it, supplied by the president of Sony as a favour to Bernie - will see if I can find out more 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ok so it went on Sale in Japan today: See here and already there is one on eBay for £1550!!! Here...

WTF?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw one months ago.

we do work for one of the software houses and air conditioned one of the directors houses, he had one on the floor, asked if i wanted a go but declined as I had to go to another site.

Looked awesome, might see if i can get hold of one?

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone else noticed that Sony's 'definately real and exactly how launch titles will look' screenshots and demos are now not so real looking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't suprise me, the console graphics hardware is all based on PC hardware these days anyway, so if you want to know what the consoles are going to be capable of, check out the quality of PC game running on the latest hardware smirk.gif

They're still in the first development cycle for games though, so their should be some improvement towards summer next year hopefully ices_blah.gif

Im not really interested in the graphics par sa, but whereas having (in the near future) an OS that will comletely utilise the "Cell" processor for raw data/number crunching and to cluster any other "Cell"-equipped hardware/ collection of PS3s. znaika.gif

With that computational processing power sportifs2.gif anything is 'virtually' possible.

[ QUOTE ]

Im not really interested in the graphics par sa, but whereas having (in the near future) an OS that will comletely utilise the "Cell" processor for raw data/number crunching and to cluster any other "Cell"-equipped hardware/ collection of PS3s. znaika.gif

With that computational processing power sportifs2.gif anything is 'virtually' possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lad I know on IRC who uses X360's as render farms, and is looking into doing the same with the PS3 at some point, should make quite a powerful and cheap rig once Cell production ramps up 169144-ok.gif

The idea behing blu-ray is that instead of using a red laser, it uses a blue laser, which is more focussed and shorter wavelength, so more data can be packed onto a disk - The PS3 looks pretty good, especially once they get some more games for it, but i refuse to pay such stupid over the odds prices.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. There are quite a few units over here already, and not just the dev kits. They do look very smart indeed.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. There are quite a few units over here already, and not just the dev kits. They do look very smart indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats all very well and good, but the British Grand Prix was in June, not last week, and at that point the Playstation 3 dev kits weren't even finalised let alone completed systems being auctioned off...

Actually yes, the finalised dev kits started shipping in June.

I'd be willing to bet that at the time of the British Grand Prix you didn't have one though...

Before that dev kits existed obviously but they were not finalised hardware (reduced clock speed, not production stepping silicon, incomplete libraries, etc).

But the whole point was that the PS3 hardware had not been completed at this point. The actual console didn't enter manufacturing until mid-July and even then only in small volumes, and the system firmware wasn't even nearly ready.

The complete Dev kits aren't out until next month.

There have been a fair number of 2.4GHz machines in the case design you've seen doing the rounds. These are 2.4GHz machines with 512mb running in reduced mode. They are not final kit.

My point to you, was that you weren't correct stating Dev kits weren't finalised. They were. There is a plan which Sony are working to. The Reference toolkit will be out late December, which is the full blown kit, with exact hardware the final PS3 will ship with. This plan has been known about for sometime internally. Kits currently in use range from PC sized units to rack jobs, but some have been seen in the correct casings, and been sent near-complete PS3's, albeit in the correct casing, but running slower than the finished article will.