Xbox 360 Elite

CarMad

For me, it comes down to what I like the look of, in terms of the machine, the User Interface, the controller, the games, the overall feel. For me, it's the PS3 hands down, but I do think the 360 is a very good machine. I think Microsoft have done exceptionally well for what is only their second console. I look forward to seeing how their handheld unit pans out.

But the "they have more games" isn't really a fair one as again it's been out longer. I'd agree the PS3 in it's current status (I.E very new) is less of a prospect when you look at the shelves in GAME - there just aren't the titles there, but once that changes, I'm sure it will steal the lead again.

It's all good. It means they'll both push each other more and more. grin.gif

Sony said they knew they'd not get exclusiveness for the GTA franchise as their PS3 user-base wouldn't be sufficient enough in size to guarantee revenue covering development costs as GTA: IV is a big departure for them.

On a side note, this may be the last GTA!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

My launch console is starting to get louder and hotter by the week. frown.gif

Hopefully it can hold out until this is released.

Shame they haven't intergrated the HD-DVD though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, mine has started to crash quite a lot too. I think the Bluray is going to win and MS know it, that's why it's not been built in. They'll wait till the public decides.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the Bluray is going to win and MS know it

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think either is going to win. Neither will acheive the economy of scale that DVD reached, purely because there just aren't the advantages of DVD.

Add to that reputedly HD-DVD are going to start releasing all DVDs as dual format with HD-DVD, so every DVD you buy, you get a HD-DVD too. That'll be a huge advantage to the HD-DVD camp, and it'll cost Bluray far more to follow suit.

[ QUOTE ]

Add to that reputedly HD-DVD are going to start releasing all DVDs as dual format with HD-DVD, so every DVD you buy, you get a HD-DVD too. That'll be a huge advantage to the HD-DVD camp, and it'll cost Bluray far more to follow suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that! 169144-ok.gif

I do agree with you though, I think by the time it has fully taken hold of the market, everything should be getting to a stage where everything is downloaded or it's a solid flash of memory. Just part of me thinks that with Bluray offering 200GB on one disc currently, it's a good way of backing up all your data on 1 disc, I like keeping a copy somewhere.

Ditto, mine has started to crash quite a lot too. I think the Bluray is going to win and MS know it, that's why it's not been built in. They'll wait till the public decides.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense just from the capacity of the Blueray although still to early to say, if they sell as much PS3 as PS2 its hard not to see blueray the winner. The main issue I have with Xbox is where you need to buy all these seperate items and the add-ons.

[ QUOTE ]

The main issue I have with Xbox is where you need to buy all these seperate items and the add-ons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same thoughts, I'm not going to buy the HD-DVD drive for the 360 at all, mainly because it looks crap with something bolted on! A bit like a caravan jump.gif

See I'd possibly look at a 360 because I don't need blueray or HD-DVD, not until the format war is starting to sort itself out anyway.

I like the PS3 and I like the xbox360 but at the moment I'm not going to get either as I'm playing more on the PC and Wii so have no real need for a 3 option to play on.

As I've said before many of these purchases are for kids who use fairly small / rubbish TVs that you can't see the ultimate difference between them and they have no need for HD playback any time soon. For many parents it will be do I spend circa £300 on an 360 with a few games up upwards of £550 for a PS3 with a few games and an extra controller it all mounts up.

[ QUOTE ]

The main issue I have with Xbox is where you need to buy all these seperate items and the add-ons

[/ QUOTE ]

Its very clever marketing that for sure, but the thing is, Microsoft give you exactly what you need. But they make you pay for the options (like BMW smile.gif )

To be honest i dont see why Sony did 2 packs. They'd have been far better doing just a 60gb, with no wireless and no card reader, but include a headset. Make wireless an accessory which makes it easier to upgrade at a later date (A new Wireless standard seems to come about every 18 months).

The 360 may have lots of accessories, but the only essential is the battery+charger. I personally prefer an external battery as i've yet to find a rechargable thats just as effective after 2 years.

HD-DVD is just for early adopters, and wireless while good isn't essential (Id be interested to know the attach rate with the 360).

From N4G.com

With Microsoft's announcement of the HDMI-enbled Xbox 360 Elite coming tomorrow, Sony has wasted absolutely no time in responding. Says Peter Dille, senior VP of marketing:

"We think every PlayStation 3 owner should have an “elite” experience, which is why we include an internal hard drive and HDMI output in every PS3 we sell, along with the 50 GB of storage capacity on a high definition Blu-ray disc. Sony has been the strongest advocate of high definition as the future of next-generation gaming. This requires high-definition components, including HDMI output, and large storage devices to deliver and store all that rich and vivid HD content. Microsoft’s announcement today not only legitimizes Sony’s PS3 strategy, it moves us closer to adopting universal standards in the area of high definition gaming that will benefit game developers and ultimately the end user.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Most of the bad press for the PS3 of late has come from Sony themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Class...i think the Register must have been reading my TSN posts yesterday.

Linky

Oh and for the record, it seems now Sony are dominating the dumb quote market, Microsoft wants some of the action now too......

Linky

Not really an "elite" model - they are having sourcing issues with the 20GB model due out towards the end of this year and are going to make the base product 60GB and the higher one 80GB. They've also realised they've made a mistake and should have made them bigger in the first place.

Even the 360's 120GB disk is pathetic by today's standards. NONO3.GIF

"New Xbox 360 120GB HDD comes with a lot of conditions.

So, a much bigger Xbox 360 hard drive is a good thing, right? Well ... not when it comes with some fairly crippling conditions. Wired has the skinny on some of the small print on Microsoft's new little "Elite" storage device:

<ul type="square">

[*] You cannot put the data from two or more 20 GB hard disks onto one 120 GB hard disk. If you attempt to move multiple drives, only the last one you move will be stored.

[*] You can only move data from the 20GB Hard Disk to the 120 GB Hard Disk. Transferring data in the other direction, or any other combination, is not possible.

[*] Any data stored on the 120 GB hard disk will be automatically deleted.

[*] Any data stored on the 20 GB hard disk will be automatically deleted after it is moved over.

[*] Once you move the data over, it cannot be placed back on the original hard disk.

Link

Microsoft getting bitchy about Wii?

Microsoft's group product manager for Xbox and the Live platform, John Rodman, recently took a stab at it. According to a report by Daily Tech, Rodman insinuated that gamers would outgrow Nintendo's new console just as soon as their voices started to change.

"We don't feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing," Rodman reportedly said. "We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14, they want something else."

Sounds like Microsoft are starting to feel the heat from Nintendo and Sony.

360 Elite validates Sony's hi-def focus

Microsoft's release of the Xbox 360 Elite validates Sony's focus on capturing the early market for high-definition entertainment, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

As the format holder continues to sign up more providers of downloadable content to Xbox Live Marketplace, the support for HDMI output is Microsoft's acknowledgement that the hi-def consumer is more important that it initially believed.

"Microsoft's move is an endorsement of high-definition output, and its inclusion of HDMI validates that Sony's initial strategy was correct," said Pachter, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"The 120 GB hard-drive is focused on helping the roll-out of IPTV, and I expect a progression of HDTV broadcast from the current 720p to the 1080p standard over the next few years, so the HDMI output will be relevant."

"On balance, this is a very smart move by Microsoft, but it appears to validate Sony's strategy, and serves as an acknowledgement that HD content matters," he commented.

Link

[ QUOTE ]

Even the 360's 120GB disk is pathetic by today's standards. NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. That said, both 360 and PS3 are limited by the fact they run 2.5" drives. If either wants to be the console for holding your entire library of films/Music, then they need a 3.5" as thats where the large capacitys really kick in.

[ QUOTE ]

Or Flash RAM that they keep talking about. Sony have developerd a 32GB Stick already. If they could reduce costs I'd rather have that, than a moving part component.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree flash would be best, but it'll be 2+ years till flash is a viable alternative to the 2.5" drive, let alone the 3.5" jobbies 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If people want a bigger 120Gb Hdd in the PS3 its very simple, will cost about £46.00 and wont void the warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly why i think Sony are going to get a load of support calls for the PS3, that only end up being upgraded drives.

The problem with Consoles (and PVRs) is they are designed around specific drives, which will have certain data transfer rates, spin speeds, and heat ratings.

You'll buy a cheap HDD, and it'll produce excess heat, or will slow things down because the drive is cheap. I know, because i had exactly that problem with an upgraded original xbox.

• 4 months later...

Well just thought I'd let you all know I gave in and ordered an "Elite" 360 last night.

My 2nd 360 (core) is starting to give dirty disc errors quite frequently.

Game are doing an Elite package with Bioshock for £309.99

On top of that they are allowing £125 trade in for an old core 360 plus the 20gb hard drive 169144-ok.gif

As I have a spare core and 20gig HD, difficult to refuse really ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Or Flash RAM that they keep talking about. Sony have developerd a 32GB Stick already. If they could reduce costs I'd rather have that, than a moving part component.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely this would be the best route to go, provided prices keep going down like they have been on RAM I’m sure they will go this way. Video cameras, camera's, MP3 players etc use this technology, why not consoles? I'm sure eventually PC's will even go this way eventually (when they get big enough).

Console arrived yesterday and first impressions - it's bloody LOUD!

It's loud when simply turned on, but put a game in and it gets even worse. Only way around it - turn the TV volume up. 169144-ok.gif

I played Bioshock last night (with the lights off) and I'm liking it. laugh.gif 'm still getting to grips with using a gamepad (used to keyboard/mouse) and what to do, where to go in the game, but I forsee many hours being spent with my new toy.

I just need to get a second pad so the missus can play. Are they the same price everywhere? (£32.99)