B6 S4 Wheel Offset

Mook

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway Mook what you want is some 15mm spacers out back and some 10mm ones up front! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got spacers on yours Bub?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried some H&R 8mm ones on the back JC. I'm about to have a play with the suspension next and I'm just limbering up! wink.gif

Before.........

Before.sized.jpg

After..........

8mm_Rear.sized.jpg

BUB sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

When you say you "tried" 8mm ones, does that mean you didn't like them, or later changed to different ones? Why did you recommend 15mm spacers for the S4? Sorry for the questions but I know feck all about spacers! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my nuvs (shown below on my B6) are ET35. So even 10mm each side doesn't completely fill the arches. 15mm would look great. I'm not a fan of spacers though - its something else to go wrong! grin.gif

1200426-Dscf0021.jpg

post-3588-137914404222_thumb.jpg

Yes Chav 35mm is a good offset for 8x18" wheels on an A/S4.

I'm still not sure if the S4 uses a 45 offset though. My car has 43 and I thought all the 8x18s are the same. It seems odd the S4 would have a narrower track to an A4.

JC, I was only joking. However 15mm rear and 8mm front using the factory wheels is about as extreme as you can go on our cars.

This is 8F 15R......

IMG_2982_edited-1.jpg

18403Uptown2s-med.jpg

IMG_29852.jpg

The silver car is about as low as you would want to go and both admit to rubbing on the rear under very hard cornering/load.

The silver car has a perfect stance IMO. I'm just not sure that 4 up with luggage would be a good idea!!

IMO 10-12mm on the rear would be a safer bet.

As for issues, I must admit to not liking the idea of spacers on a modern car. However the fit and quality of the machining of these H&R ones is perfect.......

7295.jpg

They are also German TUV approved. The Yanks love them and some have done massive mileage without issue.

HTH

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As for issues, I must admit to not liking the idea of spacers on a modern car. However the fit and quality of the machining of these H&R ones is perfect.......

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it you normally don't like about spacers that these avoid?

[ QUOTE ]

Bub

Are you saying 8mm spacers on the front and 10-12mm ones on the back would fill the arches on an A4 with RS6 style alloys? How much have both of those A4's been lowered, do you know?

Also, presumbaly longer wheel bolts are required?

Chaz

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I believe - 8x18 ET43.

I would say the silver car is about 20mm rear and 30mm front under sport height (40 & 50mm from standard height) the black car looks a little higher.

If you buy them from a reputable shop/tuner they will supply the correct length bolts too.

BUB 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

As for issues, I must admit to not liking the idea of spacers on a modern car. However the fit and quality of the machining of these H&R ones is perfect.........

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it you normally don't like about spacers that these avoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Scotty maybe my thoughts were a little too subtle for you to understand. I thought my following sentence may have cleared things up a little.

The image I've had for years of spacers is some poorly cast, ill-fitting, dusty shrink wrapped, sun bleached packeted rubbish you find at autojumbles that pikeys fit to their oval racing Toyota Starlets. crazy.gif

As I said these are perfecly machined and TUV approved. After doing some (not too deep I might add) research they seem to cause little problems, or none that anybody will admit to.

I would think checking wheel bolt torque at least once a month might be a good idea though.

Maybe you have an opinon on wheel spacers you'd like to share?

Oh and back on topic can you confirm for Mook the correct offset for your OE Avus wheels? 45 or 43?

The suspense is killing us! jump.gif

BUB 169144-ok.gif

OK I understand now. You actually don't have a problem with spacers just with the quality of the ones you've come across earlier. 169144-ok.gif

I'm in a different camp. I don't like spacers as they put additional load on bearings and steering/suspension components due to the extra leverage (although more than likely this will be covered by the built in tolerances) plus I'm again changing the offsets due to the effects it can have on handling and additionally ESP (as reported to me by Audi UK).

Having said that I know people that have used them for years without issue....and then others that have had issues admittedly not proven to be due to spacers.

More back on topic - If anyone does fit wheels with a different offset, remember to keep an original set of bolts in the car in case you need to fit the spare unless you're buying five wheels of course. wink.gif

Do you need different bolts for rep's then Scotty? Longer I guess?

TBH I'm of the same mind as you but will run 8-10mm and see how things go. You have to admit they look 10 times better that little bit further out grin.gif

Interesting what you say about offset and ESP I have heard of this too.

Do you really think the uprated Torsen won't cause any issues with ESP?

BUB 169144-ok.gif

Hi guys read your conversations on offset of wheels which I understand the spacers are just for looks! I have a 2005 A4 convertible with 7.5J OFFSET 55 17" wheels which I would like to update to S4 8J OFFSET 45 18" wheels are there any problems I should worry about? The tyres are 235/45/17 at the mo what tyres would be best on the new ones? comfort etc etc Many thanks for any help you can offer!