1M

cruiser647

Saw of these this morning. Or rather heard it come past at first, as it was dark.

So, I caught up with it to have a proper look (without being obvious) as he had been past me on other days.

Observations - the front on view in the dark (or from my rear view mirror) makes it look very wide and bigger than it is.

As for the front arches. Comedy arches! Look like wings as you come up the side of the car. :roflmao:

Looks wise - IMHO, still not right.

However, sounds very deep - which is good!

Saw a white one in Broxbourne (Luke's area) last week, it was sex on wheels.

Love the arches being big and bold, love the mean darth type body and the staggered pipe layout. The pipes as 2 x 2's have the centres 50mm out from the outer pipes.

Maybe it's a chalk and cheese style, but it does at least show it's performance cred and to my eyes is a thing of lust.

Why would a Subaru win? They haven't done anything that special in a wh............... oh wait. What Mac said. The first part anyway. :uhoh:

The BRZ might be a contender for 2012, you never know. :P

The thing is I became a Subaru fan because of the rallying (actually, I first became an Audi fan because of the rallying, but then Group B ended and the Legacy and Impreza arrived), but I've stayed a Subaru fan for rational reasons of substance - reliability, durability, handling, performance and impeccable customer service. In many cases the cars themselves aren't market leaders, but I have yet to try anything that delivers as well as Subaru do on all those factors at that price point (say sub 30 grand).

What I find hard to understand is why some people remain so faithful to Audi when the cars are over-priced, unreliable, flimsy, stodgy and slow and their customer service is shocking. To me it smacks of buying a badge to impress in spite of everything else. Style over substance. Especially when BMW and Jaguar are currently so much better than Audi in every market sector.

So anyway, BMW 1M. 2011 car of the year? Undoubtedly. Absolutely brilliant in every way that the RS3 just isn't.

What I find hard to understand is why some people remain so faithful to Audi when the cars are over-priced, unreliable, flimsy, stodgy and slow and their customer service is shocking.

What others find hard to understand is that you have this view of cars they love to drive, and enjoy. Cars are also quite emotive aren't they? Insult someone's choice of car you may as wel insult their mother.

Personally, Audi don't have much in their line up right now that suits me. I can see myself back in one at some point though. Saying Audi for example is a Ford competitor rather than a BMW/Porsche one doesn't add up in my view.

I was out looking at fast Porsches/BMWs/Audis - there's no way Ford (by example, not baiting you Tipex) would have entered my head.

Absolutely brilliant in every way that the RS3 just isn't.

I'd agree with this. On the other hand, I could understand why 10 years ago I wouldn't have agreed. The RS3 is technology in a box isn't it? Incredibly fast, flatters the driver. The 1M is just a proper lunatic car. I can see times when I'd prefer to be in the other! Like when the weather is like how at is at the minute for example, slippery roads.... Power in my M3 is not really usable in this weather - you just burn fuel and give the traction control a workout.

What others find hard to understand is that you have this view of cars they love to drive, and enjoy. Cars are also quite emotive aren't they? Insult someone's choice of car you may as wel insult their mother.

Personally, Audi don't have much in their line up right now that suits me. I can see myself back in one at some point though. Saying Audi for example is a Ford competitor rather than a BMW/Porsche one doesn't add up in my view.

I was out looking at fast Porsches/BMWs/Audis - there's no way Ford (by example, not baiting you Tipex) would have entered my head.

[/color]

All true, and if people do take my comments personally in terms of their own car choice then that is not the intention. Just as any comments about Subarus are water off a duck's back to me - I don't buy my cars to please people on the internets and neither should anyone else. :P

Brother was in the 1M the other day, traction light comes on in 4th gear when you boot it. He says when the twin turbos come on all hell breaks loose (literally). Not a car for greasy wet roads as Mac says. Btw he says it would leave the CSL he had for dead. And that was bloody quick!

What I find hard to understand is why some people remain so faithful to Audi when the cars are over-priced, unreliable, flimsy, stodgy and slow and their customer service is shocking. To me it smacks of buying a badge to impress in spite of everything else. Style over substance. Especially when BMW and Jaguar are currently so much better than Audi in every market sector.

None of my Audis have had flimsy interiors. All solid. Everything works too.

I like the interior more than any other mainstream brand. BMW interiors don't do it for me. Merc interiors come closest imho.

I find Audis drive fine, maybe the BMW's drive/ride better - I don't really care because I just don't like the current nor older BMW offerings enough to go and buy one. Yes the BMWs might be faster or more economical, but seeing as I've had no show-stopping issues with any of my Audis, there is no reason to stop buying them. I've piled miles and miles onto everyone I've owned. Servicing - easy answer, I use an independent. Same as I would with any marque.

But then again, this is the man who thinks the Zonda is ugly, Ford's ride badly and most 4 inline engines should blown up. :grin:

Brother was in the 1M the other day, traction light comes on in 4th gear when you boot it. He says when the twin turbos come on all hell breaks loose (literally). Not a car for greasy wet roads as Mac says. Btw he says it would leave the CSL he had for dead. And that was bloody quick!

Hope he's a careful boy!

• 2 weeks later...
None of my Audis have had flimsy interiors. All solid. Everything works too.

I like the interior more than any other mainstream brand. BMW interiors don't do it for me. Merc interiors come closest imho.

I find Audis drive fine, maybe the BMW's drive/ride better - I don't really care because I just don't like the current nor older BMW offerings enough to go and buy one. Yes the BMWs might be faster or more economical, but seeing as I've had no show-stopping issues with any of my Audis, there is no reason to stop buying them. I've piled miles and miles onto everyone I've owned. Servicing - easy answer, I use an independent. Same as I would with any marque.

But then again, this is the man who thinks the Zonda is ugly, Ford's ride badly and most 4 inline engines should blown up. :grin:

+++

What he said - my 04 A4 is now at 120k miles - bought it at 12k. No major issues - the interior looks as good as a 30k car (and i don't go out of my way to keep it like that.) Never really had any customer service issues, i think it depends on the dealer - find the right one and they are great...

+++

What he said - my 04 A4 is now at 120k miles - bought it at 12k. No major issues - the interior looks as good as a 30k car (and i don't go out of my way to keep it like that.) Never really had any customer service issues, i think it depends on the dealer - find the right one and they are great...

Pah, my Galaxy is at 120k also, and the interior still looks like it did when it was brands new, not like it's done 30k! :P

Pah, my Galaxy is at 120k also, and the interior still looks like it did when it was brands new, not like it's done 30k! :P

:P you know what i mean though - i think to call an audi interior flimsy is not right. On the flip side, my sister has a 09 mondeo estate. 46k miles, looks like it's done about 120k inside - the plastics are all wearing, the plastic coating on switches (like the quick clear switch) is chipping away and the plastics round the gearlever area scratch very easily...

True, but then I could show you numerous Audi's on the fleet that all have the infamous peeling Audi 'soft touch' coating on the plastics.

Ultimately, it all comes down to how a car is used, if it's used heavily, has kids piling in and out, things will wear, no matter what brand it is, if it's someones pride and joy, no kids, only ever them in the car, and they keep a little brush to dust the 'crevices' in the glovebox, you know the type of person I mean, then the car could have 200k on it and the interior will still look like new.

Some people are carefully, some are (unwittingly) heavy handed, cars owned by people who tend to wear a lot of rings are generally the worst in my experience, the door pull, gear knob and steering wheel will look awful after a month or two.

It's interesting to note that the two people who have challenged the 'flimsy' Audi interiors own Audis that are a good few years old.

I suspect that if they properly inspected the interior of a new Audi equivalent to their older model they would discover a drop both in material quality and workmanship. That's not just a dig at Audi either - I think BMW are the same, and although Mercedes have improved they are still not back to the 'hewn from granite' feel of the early 90s.

True, but then I could show you numerous Audi's on the fleet that all have the infamous peeling Audi 'soft touch' coating on the plastics.

Ultimately, it all comes down to how a car is used, if it's used heavily, has kids piling in and out, things will wear, no matter what brand it is, if it's someones pride and joy, no kids, only ever them in the car, and they keep a little brush to dust the 'crevices' in the glovebox, you know the type of person I mean, then the car could have 200k on it and the interior will still look like new.

Some people are carefully, some are (unwittingly) heavy handed, cars owned by people who tend to wear a lot of rings are generally the worst in my experience, the door pull, gear knob and steering wheel will look awful after a month or two.

Good point Mr T.

Heavy handed, ham fisted cnuts with be-ringed fingers will knacker any interior.

Also depends upon how the parents are with any are kids in the car.