New M3 Driver!

MrMPG

Morning TSN'ers!

Over the weekend I just took delivery of my new (2008) M3, its a car i've wanted to own for a long long time and finally bit the bullet - what a machine!! It was definitely worth the wait, I put about 100 miles on it already just taking it down country lanes etc, the power is just too addictive, its like a never ending surge of awesomeness.

One thing I'm now scared to death of is it being robbed by some scumbag, I know the watchdog programme a while back highlighted the problem (thanks BBC!...idiots) and I'm fairly certain most cars after 2011 got the software upgrade, I take it this can now be done on older models at my local BMW dealership?? Also is it worth upgrading the standard security system to a Viper or Clifford system?

Thanks!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't bother with a tracker (although it does have one onboard but it is not subscribed to) but I do have a Diskloc thing to deter thieves.

I understand that the new software update sorts the ODB problem however, how does a thief know one that has been done vs. one that has not? A visual deterrent is the only way in my opinion.

Incidentally, I've got an outstanding call with my dealer to do a free update but I've not heard back about that yet.

When you get it make sure that the velcro on the metal pivot is well attached as the metal underneath is rough and will mark your wheel if it isn't there (he says from experience). You will also be best off leaving the lock at a slight angle (with the arm at say 10 o'clock) to reduce pressure indentations on the wheel. They do come out after a while so no great shakes in my book.

Andrew, thanks for the info re the disklok.

I'll get some pictures up ASAP currently away with work. Its Silverstone II (4 door had to compromise in order to get a 'family car'), satnav, PDC, EDC, 19's, Manual, Memory seats, USB Audio, DAB and Bluetooth.

Mac (from memory) adjusted the pin outs on the OBC which means anyone plugging in gets jack all. I think he then made a straight on connector which readjusted the pins to the correct format.

So the garage and anyone else authorised to use the OBC can use it provided Mac gives them the straight on connector.

I might be dreaming it up, so await Mac and maybe he can forward on a link to the blog he wrote about improving security.

I agree that sounds really nice, however convincing the Mrs and having a baby trying to get some kip in the back doesn't bode well, maybe one day. How is it inside, able to hold a conversation at normal level? How is it at 70-80 on the M-way?

Mac (from memory) adjusted the pin outs on the OBC which means anyone plugging in gets jack all. I think he then made a straight on connector which readjusted the pins to the correct format.

So the garage and anyone else authorised to use the OBC can use it provided Mac gives them the straight on connector.

I might be dreaming it up, so await Mac and maybe he can forward on a link to the blog he wrote about improving security.

This is exactly right +++ I also have some other security on mine that I'd not really discuss on an open forum really, but think two factor authentication to drive. Even if you did program a new key on mine you wouldn't get anywhere anyway. In fact, even if you nicked the keys it wouldn't matter anyways.