Mook

World Record Jump Attempt in a Mini(!) Goes Wrong

26 posts in this topic

French rally driver Guerlain Chicherit is a very lucky man. He had hoped to beat Tanner Foust's 332-feet car jump record (which nearly went awry itself) with a 360-foot leap in a specially built Mini to score a new Guinness World Record at the French ski resort of Tignes. However, things didn't go to plan, and Chicherit suffered a massive crash during the attempt.

He wasn't badly injured.

Ooops  :blink:

Someone didn't do their maths correctly.

Lucky man. Bit too much speed.

Did he break the world record for somersaults?

oh, James May would have worked out the proper take off speed. :coffee:

Edited by cruiser647

ooh - i thought the discarded body work was a human body to start with! 

Ooch, lost balance just as he was landing, should have kept on the throttle to keep the nose up.

Not that i'm an expert of course, just my opinion.

Top Gear would have just built a bridge over that gap.

Well, it wasn't just a question of losing balance when he landed. The whole angle & height of the landing ramp was wrong, the car had tipped forward too much by the time it landed so touched down nose first rather than wheels first. Instant cartwheel.

He needs a better balanced car, I think... Less nose-heavy.

Top Gear would have just built a bridge over that gap.

But it would have taken them a week :coffee:

...with hilarious mishaps :coffee:

Tipex - how would keeping on the throttle help? I'm not baiting you BTW, genuinely can't see how it would help with the wheels spinning faster in mid-air so I must be missing something.

I don't know the physics behind it, i'm sure someone will be able to explain it better than me, but it's to do with rotational forces I believe.

I have a friend that is heavily in to Motocross, and he explained the principle is the same on a bike in the air as it is for a car, if you accelerate and make the wheels spin faster, it'll bring the nose up, if you lift off or even brake, the nose will dip.

Don't ask me to explain in ANY level of detail but I did hear a feasible explanation once that it is all to do with torque reaction.

As in similar to a helicopter if you removed the tail rotor (but obviously less so) IIRC.

The car is applying torque to the wheels.  Therefore, there will be an opposite reaction torque on the car, which will tend to bring the nose up - as it does in a wheelie.  Isaac Newton, equal and opposite forces, and all that.

I would have thought the effect would be quite small, as you are balancing the whole weigh of the car against the weight of the driven wheels.  But I suppose a powerful but light car could show it?

^^^^^^^ What he said.

Correct, it will be small, but MAY work in practice.

I get the rotational force bit but I too would have thought the effect to be negligible, especially seeing how unbalanced the car was by the end. That said, I've not tried it myself ...

If you would like to try it for yourself then & let us know how effective it is we would all appreciate the practical physics lesson.

1 person likes this

It's quite a major force actually.

I used to race nitro powered R/C monster trucks - the in-air attitude was easily controlled by the throttle due to the gyroscopic forces of the wheels/tyres.

Ahem - R/C. It might be a major factor in something that small, but the small wheels on a full size MINI compared to its mass is going to be far more negligible.

Diddy R/C cars...

full-size-remote-control-carsl-hummer-h3

:grin:

Those eyes say "this is gonna hurt" !!

Doesn't look like he's wearing a HANS?!