Eagle F1 Asymmetrics - any personal experience?

Mook

Need to put four new tyres on the S4 and, after finding out there's no P-Zero Neros around until mid-Feb, am looking at the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

Does anyone have these fitted (regardless of what toy you drive) and what are your thoughts?

I read the EVO tyre test again last night (from late last year) and they were top of the tree.

beerchug.gif

Cheers, Andrew, I presume you mean this thread.

It's interesting that, from their posts, lots of GTI owners are now "worried" about choosing F1 Asymmetrics because of one person's experience, despite more people posting positive things about them.

Like someone posts, once they're bedded in, they seem to change characteristic - I used to have this with Michelin PS2s on the R32 - give them 1,000 miles and they'd be fine. The recent EVO Fast Fleet article did say that the R32 was handling much better now that they're bedded in.

I'm also aware that the S4 will be affected differently by them, being heavier than the GTI and 4WD.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That was the thread - forgot it wasn't obviously titled. 169144-ok.gif

Mine is shod with GSD3s which suit me fine and about £89 a corner (225,40,18) - don't see the need to upgrade to the Asymmetrics when I wear the current ones out.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are stopping the GSD3's - they have bee replaced with the Asymetrics. I have the Asymetrics on my A4 1.8TQS and they are great. Better than the GSD3's were in the wet if they last as long as I got out of the GSD3s i'll be a happy boy!

Chaz

I'm pricing up the F1 Asy's for the 5 series. Well priced and if they are as good or better than the Conti SC2's I'll be happy.

I've always gone for PS2's, but they are SO much more that I just can't justify it.

<font color="red"> Just ordered a full set, £665 all in, mobile fitter I've used a few times. 275/30/19 & 245/35/19 </font>

I really can't see the point of PS2's or asymmetricals on a 4WD car, or a FWD car for that matter.

They were designed for cars that oversteer and to let go of their grip quite early, in a very progressive and controlable way.

I would think that the S4 would benifit from a tyre that grips onto the road longer as it will never kick the back end out in the same way a RWD car does.

The P-Zero Rossos are quite nice, the Neros are alright, they last longer but don't grip half as well.

I personally love the Falken FK452 at the moment when going for a tyre that holds on well. On an M3 or similar the PS2 is my favourite (although not tried the asymmetricals).

But the Falkens are awesome, and when you think you can get a set of four for £3-400 fitted they do make the others look really expensive.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Mine is shod with GSD3s which suit me fine and about £89 a corner (225,40,18) - don't see the need to upgrade to the Asymmetrics when I wear the current ones out.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are stopping the GSD3's - they have bee replaced with the Asymetrics. I have the Asymetrics on my A4 1.8TQS and they are great. Better than the GSD3's were in the wet if they last as long as I got out of the GSD3s i'll be a happy boy!

Chaz

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't, the Asymmetricals are a new performance tyre to take on the PS2, the GDS3 will continue and is aimed at a different market.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chaz

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't, the Asymmetricals are a new performance tyre to take on the PS2, the GDS3 will continue and is aimed at a different market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right! When I ordered mine (one of the internet vendors) GSD3's came up as discontinued - that's where i got that from!!

I had Rossos on my A4 after the factory fitted contis and they lasted only 10k.... laugh.gif

I wouldn't agree giZZe, I've had F1's and FK 452's on my Sportecs on my old S4 and it would appear on lower profile versions the Falken's produce far more road noise and not as much wet grip as the F1's.

Undoubtedly a superb value tyre, but not sure that it performs better.

I was also advised that the F1's were being discontinued in certain sizes to be replaced by Assymetircs and that was from the Goodyear distributor for the NE. Hence why I went for Falkens in the end as I wasn't going to be paying £1k for PS2 equivalents.

[ QUOTE ]

The P-Zero Rossos are quite nice, the Neros are alright, they last longer but don't grip half as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment that one. I run Rossos at the minute and they've been bloody useless on the S4. They track on the motorway and lose their grip far too early on trackdays. I ran Neros on the R32 as a compromise between Michelin PS2s (road) and Pirelli Corsas (track) and they were great in the wet and dry, holding on for a lot longer than the PS2s and the Rossos.

Different cars and different tyres 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The P-Zero Rossos came as standard on the LCR (still have one on the spare) but they wore so quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they were utter crap in the winter... great summer tyre but I had a couple of scares when the weather turned bad and binned mine for GSD3's like you... jump.gif

Mook, you may be right, it might have been the Neros that were better. I went from one to the other and was very impressed, but they were gone after 10k miles.

I have only compared GDS3's and FK452s on BMW's with RWD, and found them to be alot better, yeah slightly more noise but alot more predictable.

Currently run F1's and initially they were a bit leary but have improved immensely now they are bedded in. My experience is exactly the same as described in EVO.

I ran Nero's on the S3 and they offered awesome grip in the dry. Wet weather they were a bit leary. They lasted less than 10K miles.

[ QUOTE ]

Need to put four new tyres on the S4 and, after finding out there's no P-Zero Neros around until mid-Feb, am looking at the Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

Does anyone have these fitted (regardless of what toy you drive) and what are your thoughts?

I read the EVO tyre test again last night (from late last year) and they were top of the tree.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got these on my S3. Very pleased with them and an improvement over what I had. Grip in the wet felt strong. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pricing up the F1 Asy's for the 5 series. Well priced and if they are as good or better than the Conti SC2's I'll be happy.

I've always gone for PS2's, but they are SO much more that I just can't justify it.

<font color="red"> Just ordered a full set, £665 all in, mobile fitter I've used a few times. 275/30/19 & 245/35/19 </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, they are a ton better than the Conti's SC 2's

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, they are a ton better than the Conti's SC 2's

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, put them on my GTi, and made a world of difference compared to the conti's