Company registration plates?

Dave

We've got five private plates with the letters of the company in them. If the car is registered to the company, then there won't be any benefit in kind and you should be able to reclaim the VAT.

If it's registered in your name, then it could be seen as benefit in kind, although you'll only pay whatever your tax band is on the purchase price.

[ QUOTE ]

intresting point. i wanted to buy my plate personalyl but was told becasue its on a company car the plate has to be owned by the company. Will be intresting to see if its classed as a benifit. Ill find out tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my own plate on company cars for years, at my expense, although I'm company car-free at the mo'

Bells - Yes. £25 to extend the entitlement for 12 months. Make sure you do it well before the certificate expires. Once it's gone, it's gone!

Wopps - When you buy a plate from the DVLA, you can add a "nominee", so you buy the plate in your name, then have the company put on as a nominee, so you can transfer the plate onto any vehicle owned by the company. Same thing applies when you buy a plate from someone personally - you get yourself put on as a nominee.