You don't know how lucky you are...

TheReverend

To any of you who have owned or have unlimited access to a CSL, I'm so envious I can't think straight. (in a nice way of course!)

I went out with a mate of mine who's lucky / fortunate / jammy enough to have indulged in lots of decent metal. Fezzas / Porkers / M series of various vintage.

His current steer is a CSL and I drove it yesterday.

Now don't get me wrong. My 330Ci "ticks a lot of boxes" as the saying goes but buggeration. That CSL is one of the few cars I've driven at any price that I just didn't want to get out of. It must be hard enough just having to sleep, work, see the Mrs or refuel it.

I've tried the E46 M3 and like it a lot but it didn't burn into my head in the same way. This was like already being an excellent athlete and how good you'd be if you were trained by the finest coaches + latest tech on diet / training.

So taut, responsive, secure yet involving, it literally felt alive. I know everyone rants on about them but this is the first time I've driven or indeed been one on the road and I'm seriously thinking of selling my wifes pets to medical science to fund them.

What's worst is that when I got into my steer this morning it is how I imagine putting on a fat suit must be like for the first time.

Sluggish, slow, retarded, mundane, dull witted. Great though the car is, this 330 just is not good enough any more.

Those of you who have the CSL - only give it up when someone prises the key from your dead, clenched fist.

They are a fantastic car, I love mine.....I was on my favourite B road a time or two over the weekend and it reminded me why I love the CSL so much.

As for the new M3, I borrowed my mate's for a weekend and I was delighted to be handing it back and getting into my CSL. Fast, but a tad boring for my tastes.

I havent had mine for a week due to peskey tyres!!!!! SAUER0421.GIFSAUER0421.GIFSAUER0421.GIF

Glad you liked it, I love mine to bits and will find it very hard to swap when the time comes.

They are looking very solid bets at the moment, they are just not going down in value. Seen 2 recently on the market for over £40k! Seem to be selling as soon as they are put on the market too. Unless you are in Irland sadly sekret.gifcrazy.gif

You're right about the prices. There are a few at the other end of the market (on Pistonheads)but they don't have AC or are missing some other vital spec item.

I'd expect prices to firm up as the track-day season opens up too. Great car. It's on my list, I just need to see how the pennies stack up. ;-)

Also - heaven only knows how you've keep calm on the tyres front. I've had (dis)service teams try those stunts in the past which is why I always leave a detailed sheet on the passenger seat + fax it to them in advance.

Hope all's finally done and dusted and you get your black wheeled beauty back on the road.

they are indeed fragile in some cases - the interior carbon panels aren't really family-friendly and that front bumper really worries me! Still, we have an A4 Avant for the family stuff now so that's fine and dandy for keeping the kids out of the car.

By fragile I mean there are lots of carbon fibre bits to be careful with, the clutch is a very weak link, trailing arm bushes need to be upgraded and a few other bits and bobs.

Engines are pretty much bomb-proof, just the things around it aren't.

[ QUOTE ]

Just gotta find the right words when I announce this to the Mrs!

[/ QUOTE ]

"Of course you can have that new dress/pair of shoes/thing for the house [whisper mode]oh and I've just bought a CSL[/whisper mode]"

That should do the trick... tongue.gif

Having gone through 3 front bumpers i know this pain all to well.

There are options however. Simpsons and Thorney both now do repairs and unless they are totally mushed £500 will give you as close as one can tell - a new one.

Another option is going for a plastic or fibreglass one. There are a few compaines about on the net and ebay offering these for as litle as £400 and as much as £700 for a v good one. This is considerably less than the £2500 stock item and you are unlikly to notice a diff when driving.

In regards to them being fragile, they are a bit. the centre carbon unit is very thin and wouldnt take much to break it. Same goes for the centre rear arm rest. The rest of the car is as hard as nails though. It feels like a rock on the road. even with my crazy exhaust that makes enough noise to make your ears bleed, the car hasnt suffered from one rattle.

The engine is bomb proof as far as I can tell. The oil temp will rocket to about 120 degs on track and will use a little oil in that scenario but it feels liek you could do a full day without stopping. I did 200 miles at Bedford a couple of weeks back without so much as a cough.

In my opinion the weakest part of the car is the steering pump and rack. In the last 12 months I have been through 3 pumps and 2 racks! A common problem is the pump cap vibrating off and spilling all fluid leaving the pump to dry up. Once the pump goes the rack then suffers. But you get a 2 year warrenty on all parts so I havent had to pay for any of them. Bit of a hassle though.

Thats about it in my experaince.

That was the reason I got out of mine, I could have handled doing the milage in it if that was the only loss, but I went through two bumpers in a month, then with the warranty at £1050, insurance at £1200 and all in the same month plus the repayment on the car and fuel you start to look at it properly.

It was when Fiona said 'Is this car going to cost you £8000 every month?!" that is suddenly hit home that these things can be very expensive to run.

[ QUOTE ]

That was the reason I got out of mine, I could have handled doing the milage in it if that was the only loss, but I went through two bumpers in a month, then with the warranty at £1050, insurance at £1200 and all in the same month plus the repayment on the car and fuel you start to look at it properly.

It was when Fiona said 'Is this car going to cost you £8000 every month?!" that is suddenly hit home that these things can be very expensive to run.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't helping me at all! I'm now in the market for one and hearing about any (actually, it's more like being reminded of) fragility isn't making me feel like this is safe place for my money as cars go.

Seriously, I'm somewhat risk averse and the Mrs doesn't want us all eating gruel just to keep one of Munichs finest on the road.

Granted this is something that you buy with your heart and not your head but if it's going to start playing up like that then it's not confidence inspiring.

Also, what's not helping is that the AUC 330Ci Sport I'm currently in had a few problems to begin with. Admittedly all under warrenty but it took more than a few goes to remedy them, and like most of us here, I'm not paid to wander around in BMW dealerships waiting for my car.

To be honest - I tire of forking out for cars. It's just that these seem to hold onto their value and are a solid 5 star car, imo.

Decisions, decisions...