Is this really true ??

Chick

from an email sent to me today :

WHO KNEW THIS???

I have been driving for over 50 years. I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was

staring me inthe face the whole time . . .

I didn't . . .

and I bet you didn't either . . .

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the petrol station wondered . . . hmmm, which side is the petrol filler cap?

My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!!!!

Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the petrol station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury .

If you look at your petrol gauge, you will see a small icon of a petrol pump.

The handle of the petrol pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the petrol pump.

If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo).

It is that simple!

post-18176-137914430542_thumb.jpg

Edited by just_chick
old age suggestions

Most modern Fords have a little arrow pointing to which side the cap is. Never stops me from forgetting I'm in a rental and getting it wrong though :rolleyes:

Anyone else notice that 'traditional' car Radios are the only car part never adapted from LHD to RHD ? The main button (on/off/volume) on most cars is on the left, nearest to the driver for a LHD car (and in the logical place of course), but a stretch for RHD cars. I have been stuck in too many traffic jams I guess....

Two things to point out:-

1) I don't let the gauge get that low

2) The pump lead can stretch over the boot/hatch/avant body styles without a problem.

I have a saloon and A6 Avant - either side of a pump is not an issue! :roflmao:

1) I don't like getting past quarter of tank either !!

2) Don't do the stretchy thing, scratched the boot lid on my last car doing this, prefer to q ........

+++

Anyone else notice that 'traditional' car Radios are the only car part never adapted from LHD to RHD ? The main button (on/off/volume) on most cars is on the left, nearest to the driver for a LHD car (and in the logical place of course), but a stretch for RHD cars. I have been stuck in too many traffic jams I guess....

That's almost interesting, but I've never had much trouble reaching, even though people keep telling me I've got short arms and long pockets :grin:

Never heard about the petrol cap thing before, I'll have a lot of weird looks on my way through the car park today...

Off topic but do you ever find that filling stations don't have enough fuel at one pump to fill up a Q7?

No, but i do find it much quicker to fill up if I use the lorry pumps.. seems to come out at a much faster rate than for the cars. +++

Oh, and I do get some funny looks when the bill is almost £100!! You can see them thinking "feck, how did he get all that fuel in there?"

I find it really funny when people are queing up to get the pump right next to their filler when the reverse pumps are empty.

I have always found on my A6 avant that i can pull the pipe round the car and fill up without touching the car

1) I don't like getting past quarter of tank either !!

2) Don't do the stretchy thing, scratched the boot lid on my last car doing this, prefer to q ........

+++

I laugh at all those queuing for the one side as I cruise in, fill up and f-- off. Having a Golf, when I strectch the hose it just lies on the back window. Job done.:roflmao:

It is mostly true. I don't own a car but I always have a car, and they vary wildly, and it's generally true that you can use the pump sign to indicate which side the petrol hole is.

Not that it really matters but it is a bit easier when you don't have to stretch isn't it?

I was sent this too... and when BMSport lent me their Shogun for the week, put the theory to test... but it wasn't right unfortunatly.

Pump icon had the handle on the RHS, fuel flap was on the LHS... :ffs:

Same here HEHE!! I dont know if the claim is true on every other brand car but certantly NOT on my Lancer.

dials.jpg

snowclearing.jpg

Edited by steelwind101

Well I never; that is interesting. I'm going to check on my way home tonight. very handy should you be driving a hire car or a car you're unfamiliar with.

Well looking at the evidence so far suggesting this method is correct and incorrect, you would still have to stretch/get out and check anyway! lol

I was going to make a smug remark about people being mean and that they should put their hands in their pockets and buy a car with s/wheel controls. But then I remembered that I own such a car, and that my stereo doesn't even work these days.

Doh.