Dyson Ball

Wizbit

What he said +++

+++4thed.

Stairs can be a bit of a PITA though as the hose/lance doesn't quite stretch how you want it to. Easiest way for me to do stairs is just pull the lance up but leave it on, disconnect hose and attach mini turbo head thing and climb up the stairs with Dyson between spreadeagled legs. :D [/Domestic God]

I don't get the advantage of the ball, TBH. In the advert Dyson demonstrates how difficult a traditional cleaner is to steer by using a model where the wheels on opposing sides are joined across a fixed axle. That would indeed make it difficult, but I have never seen a cleaner that didn't have independently rotating wheels. Is it just me?

Si.

I wouldn't have a dyson if they were free.

What you should be looking for is the rated 'air watts' - not the 'headline' wattage (2000 etc)

The air watts are the actual 'suck' - you'll find that uprights are pants and if you want real suckage - get a short squat cylinder jobby - you know the ones that are the size of a small dog and have a humongous pipe coming off them.

Ours - headlines at 2200 watts, and the air watts are something like 300 odd - really quite high, shame is they don't make the bugger anymore.

Just promise me if you don't buy a Dyson - you will not buy a HOOVER no matter how good it looks. They've just pulled out of Merthyr, which is just up the road from me here, with the loss of about 340 jobs - doesn't sound a lot but at its peak it employed about 4000. Production has slowly been shipped abroad - despite the fact that Hoover stuff made in Merthyr is top notch as the boyos really care.

The stuff that is coming 'back' from eastern europe etc is crap quality and doesn't last - many Valleys folk have Hoover washing machines that are 15+ years old as we 'bought local' - people who have replaced their old ones with new 'euro' ones are often finding they don't last 5 years!

Edited by pontyslapper

Just done a bit of 'research'.

Dyson Ball DC24 All Floors - 120 air watts

Dyson Ball DC15 All Floors - 220 air watts

Dyson Ball DC25 Animal - 220 air watts

Dyson Ball DC25 All Floors - 220 air watts

Thats just from a quick search.

There are far more 'air watt' powerful hoovers on the market at a lot less money - Dysons are overpriced for what they are - just heavy and inefficient - in the main!

Well we have a Dyson and love it, does a cracking job and would get another when it dies but its going strong and has been for 9 years. I guess they are like cars hey, we all like specific ones or types and all thing one is better than another.

I mean whats the point of getting a BMW or Audi when a cheaper Seat can possibly go just as fast hey.:o:grin:

We've had three Dyson's (they've all broken after a while). I wouldn't buy another one, because they're so bloody expensive.

James Dyson is a great inventor, but he's a feckin fantastic marketeer!

Get yourself a Henry hoover for £100 or so and it'll work fine +++

What you should be looking for is the rated 'air watts' - not the 'headline' wattage (2000 etc)

Interesting. My Dyson DC05 struggles to get anything up off the floor and it appears it only manages 250 air watts. Should I bin it and splash out £75 on a this Panasonic which is supposedly rated at 450?

I'm with Mook, Henry is where it's at, he'll suck up anything, with or without a bag inside him, you name it, bricks, rubble, anything really and he'll last forever guaranteed!

We've had a couple of different Dysons, and Henry gets relegated to be the garage hoover every time, but when the Dysons break after 10 mins Henry is always there waiting to come back into the house!

When the Dysons work, they are very good, but they just don't seem reliable enough to me.

Interesting. My Dyson DC05 struggles to get anything up off the floor and it appears it only manages 250 air watts. Should I bin it and splash out £75 on a this Panasonic which is supposedly rated at 450?

Two things come to mind, have you ever cleaned or replaced any of the filters. A quick read around this is the main cause that many dysons fail, the filters aren't cleaned or replaced enough and the motor then suffocates.

On the new vacuum is it just me but I just wouldn't fancy going back to bags, they vacuum might be 450 when the bag is empty but wait a few minutes and it will be less than half that suction when the bag has anything it it. :eek:

Get yourself a Henry hoover for £100 or so and it'll work fine +++

I'm with Mook, Henry is where it's at, he'll suck up anything, with or without a bag inside him, you name it, bricks, rubble, anything really and he'll last forever guaranteed!

Funnily enough i've thought about a Henry as i've heard great reviews about them. What are they like on carpet though? They don't have a brush roller which generally fluffs up the carpet as it goes along?

We've had three Dyson's (they've all broken after a while). I wouldn't buy another one, because they're so bloody expensive.

Ditto. We ended up getting a Sebo and have been very pleased with it. Much better performance than the dyson, it will vacumn under beds and chairs without having to lift them; nearly 3 years later it hasn't broken. +++

Funnily enough i've thought about a Henry as i've heard great reviews about them. What are they like on carpet though? They don't have a brush roller which generally fluffs up the carpet as it goes along?

I'm not convinced about the brush roller thing, surely all rubbing a stiff brush over your carpet hundreds of times is going to do is wear it out quicker?

Henry picks up everything, and has kept our beige (not the smartest move with children) carpets looking good, despite me always being told off for wearing my shoes in the house.

I guess it depends wether you prefer a cylinder type vacuum or an upright one though, cylinder ones can be a bit of a faf sometimes to get out/put away but the pick up head bit slides right under everything and most of the way up the stairs without having to take out a separate wand thing.

No idea if the Dyson cylinder types are any good or not though?

We had the original DC01 and loved it, it was miles ahead of the other vacumes on the market, solid and lasted really well. In my usual unnessasary splurge fashion, we gave away the DC01 and got a DC05 Animal... build quality is sh1t, the suction was poor and after a year of trying to live with it, we bought a Miele Solution HEPA 5281.

It's fantastic. Quiet, sucks the carpet off the floor and is a doddle to man-handle around the house/stairs/cars.

Once again, the Germans stuff the Brits.... :rolleyes:

Oops, we (the ex and I) had a Dyson, but it broke after about 16 months or so. Then got a cheapo Morphy Richards Premair 1800 offering. Small easy carry thing, variable suction blah blah. Had it for about 5 yrs and the thing is still going well.

Of course, if you can't see the dirt that the thing might leave behind, don't worry about it!

I've got a DC02, had it 8 years, and regularly clean the filters. It has been used throughout the house refurb, so has been used to pick all manner of builders waste up. The only problem I have had is the plug burning out, but an easy fix.

The suction on it is fantastic, and wouldn't have anything else. I am always suprised when I read bad reviews on Dysons, but maybe I'm lucky, or given the age of mine, is it one of the UK built ones, and therefore better?

I've had a DC03 for years and has done stirling work during our building program, the only things to break have been the cable winder and last week I managed to break the soleplate after putting it down heavily and it caught the edge on something very hard, it also broke something inside the clutch mechanism as some small pieces of yellow plastic fell out but it all still works OK. Have cleaned it out regularly so have had no problems on the suction front. I'm going to replace the winder and soleplate with spares from DYSON247.

Edited by Lussac

Had a Dyson DC25 (ball) All Floors for 2 days. My older daughter works for Dyson so it cost us well under 1/2 price. Seems to do the job, certainly better than the upright Panasonic it replaced (and we did clean out the filters every month). Although I did notice that the 'bristles' on the Panasonics's brush bar were rather worn. The Panasonic will now stay in the garage and be used for cleaning out the cars. Dysons now have a 5-year on-site warranty.

I won't pay full price for a Dyson though - think they are over-priced.

Two things come to mind, have you ever cleaned or replaced any of the filters. A quick read around this is the main cause that many dysons fail, the filters aren't cleaned or replaced enough and the motor then suffocates.

Finally got around to taking the filter out last night and it was totally chock full of dust! I spent about 5 minutes shaking the dust out outside then gave it a wash. The difference in suction was amazing! I could actually feel it sucking down onto the carpet which it never used to, and even the awkward bits of trodden in sock fluff came up no problem.

So thanks CarMad I don't have to buy a new one any more +++