Apple iPad

Mac

Agree in part Waylander, but it's not trying to be a phone.

Browing the internet on a conventional phone is dreadful. You can't find what you want, you are constantly scrolling around the page, the page is too small to read the text.. iPad is designed to imrpove that.

I don't think its meant as a replacement for the iphone.. it's something to go with it.!

I never said it was Dave but that's my point - what IS it trying to be?

I want to use the internet on the road I can use my netbook; I want to watch 7 hours of movies on the plane on a small screen - yep I can fire up the NC10 and do just that.

What new does it bring to the party? Nothing much that I can see.

Yes it is a nice looking toy but I just don't see the point beyond the novelty value and as I said before that is a whole lot of glass to scratch or crack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

netbooks are shite. (sorry but i havent seen a fast one yet!)

...only useful for the most basic of tasks. dont compare the performance of a netbook to the ipad! its state of the art hardware running a mobile OS with a large screen.

result = very fast to use. very light on battery. go play on one and you'll see!

see this [seriously] is what p*sses me off about apple users[generalisation, I grant to. To be fair Mac has given a balanced view with examples - but I still don't get it!]. Any contrary opinion is dismissed without merit.

I can browse the internet; heck I can be productive with Office perfectly well; I can watch movies. It has a great battery life. I am not tied into DRM or proprietary software?

What so shite about the netbook exactly?

Why does not exactly understanding the point of this device when it simply seems to do what can be done already but with a nice lovely-looking exterior have to be met with such derision or scorn?

I've no wish to upset anyone but this is a genuine question, what does it actually do? I mean what does it do that you can't do already?

I've got a mobile for calling and texting people, a laptop for, errr, laptopping and I've got an iPod for music (even though I could use my phone but I stick to calling and texting with that).

Assuming many people who would buy it already have an iPhone and/or Ipod Touch (?) or similar and they would also own a laptop or a netbook, what can it offer that you don't already have or is the idea it replaces the laptop for example. It looks a bit big to stick in your pocket so I can't imagine its purpose is to replace the iPhone or iPod.

Would it not just be another piece of kit to carry around whose function could be performed by other gadgets the owner may already have? Or have I missed the plot as is often the case.

Edited by Milo

see this [seriously] is what p*sses me off about apple users[generalisation, I grant to. To be fair Mac has given a balanced view with examples - but I still don't get it!]. Any contrary opinion is dismissed without merit.

I can browse the internet; heck I can be productive with Office perfectly well; I can watch movies. It has a great battery life. I am not tied into DRM or proprietary software?

Why does not exactly understanding the point of this device when it simply seems to do what can be done already but with a nice lovely-looking exterior have to be met with such derision or scorn?

my comment was about the hardware in netbooks. and it is shite. period.

cant believe people spend almost the same price as a regular laptop on the crappy intel mobile chips. but hey ho.

the key usp's are...

1) its easy/the same to use as an iphone

2) its multitouch

3) its cool looking

4) it has 100,000 cheap/free apps to do whatever you want.

5) its dead easy to sync with your pc/email/contacts/itunes etc on your pc/macbook

6) its dead fast in use

7) battery lasts 10hrs.

comparing a typical netbook

1) its windows xp or windows 7. much harder/slower to use. more complicated. full of bugs (windows 7)... over cluttered (winxp)

2) multitouch not really taken advantage of

3) they look cheap n nasty

4) even installing an app is a pita for a novice user. they dont understand admin privileges etc

5) hmm

6) christ on a bike...how slow. you need to rip out the crap ssd/harddisk and replace with a fast one to get things to load quick

7) 2-4hrs batter life. max. if youre lucky

From a non techies point of view, an average user with no real computer skills, I've had PC's forever, until recently, and I have to say, from my point of view, Apple stuff really does just work.

I'd never really considered any alternatives to Windows, as like most people, I'd assumed (wrongly) that Mac's etc were for nerds or graphic designers, and that if I wanted something that was well supported with games and stuff, it had to be Windows, so I put up with years of 'Abort Retry Fail' messages, blue screens, and general pain in the arsery when trying to do anything.

Now I've tried Apple, I wont go back, never had a crash, or even so much as an error message, feck I cant even get a simple wireless USB mouse working on my Vista laptop, it's meant to be plug and play, but it doesn't work, I had to spend an hour Googling the web to try and find out how to get the drivers to instal properly, as it kept fecking up.

With regard to the ipad, I like it, and can see the point of it, I'd rather have that on my lap right now on the sofa than this laptop which is burning my leg, however, I think I'd prefer to buy a small Apple laptop instead for the better functionality, and I just wish it didn't look like swollen iphone!

I never got comfortable with Netbooks. The NC10 is a great device, but it's still just a poor, underpowered laptop. It won't play video at any great quality for a start. Battery life was OK etc.

But it's still just a poor laptop.

Go watch the keynote speech on the iPad and you'll see that it's key is usability for the masses. Something I think a netbook doesn't fulfill.

I'll tell you what I think the difference is.

You pull 100 random people off the street and give them a netbook and an ipad.

These can be people of any in fact lets take 15 from each bracket from teens through to people in their 90's.

Now, tell them to unbox that product and do the following...

Set up wifi

Set up email

Download and watch something from iPlayer

Find the nearest pizza Hut using the web.

Purchase and download the track that is at number 1 this week.

Upload some photos to take round a friends to look at them.

Now I bet 80% of those people would not be able to do it using a netbook, however I bet 80% of those people could do it using the iPad.

My old man tried to learn computers for 4 years using a PC, he got all the things he wants to do on a computer straight away using a Mac.

As you say, it offers nothing that you don't already have, however it is is easy to use and so fukin' slick doing it.

I was not an iPhone fan, however I got one as I was due upgrades on 3 handsets, thought I could have it for the times when I didn't want to take my phone, ipod and NC20 netbook with me on the train, and use my Sony phone for everyday.

However, within 48-72 hours I was hooked, the whole thing works, the way you can switch apps and transfer data from one to another, whether it is simply going online and getting and address and dropping it in the nav, or copying an email and dropping it into an SMS, whatever... it all just works and works so well.

Everyone I know with Blackberrys and who now has an iphone agrees the blackberry has become redundent.

I will be using this to control my Apple TV, to go and buy a Crestron remote system with the same screen to do the same thing would cost 5x the money, and the remopte app on the iPhone/touch is so seriously slick it is unreal, I am purely ripped lossless music now, and with the remote you don't need to turn the TV on, that alone is worth the asking price for me.

The fact I can then sit on the sofa and surf and grab my mail is a bonus.

Edited by gizze

Everyone I know with Blackberrys and who now has an iphone agrees the blackberry has become redundent.

I'm not sure I agree with that... I have a 3GS for personal use and it's the dogs bollox, utterly amazing and best thing ever! But for work I use a Blackberry and for work purposes it just works... instant email, a nice little keypad (a real one!) and not much else... which is exactly what I need for work. I can't ever imagine having to use an iPhone for work, i.e. writing tons of emails.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you use the iPhone/touch like an iPad already you won't get it.

There is no point asking the average Joe in the street whether they understand it as they won't, who would have thought a walkman where you have to have a computer to copy your CDs to and then copy them again to the walkman just to listen to an album would catch on?? Just buy a discman and put the CD. Job done. MP3 player?? complete waste of time.

You either get this stuff and can make use of it, or you don't.

• 1 month later...