New R - complete lack of interest here

Soulboy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that VWUK had sold there allocation already. There will always be a market for these sorts of cars. Crazy people spending £35K on a Golf though. If it had the TT-RS turbo 5cyl then I'd be willing to pay that.

The problem is, the MKIV has a cult following due in part to its rarity around the world - 10,000 and only 2,000ish in the UK which makes the forums feel more family oriented. The MKV has less of this due to larger numbers sold. But its also down to the fact the MKV didn't move the game on enough. Basically its the same car as the MKIV but in a newer bodyshell and without all the little details that make the MKIV feel special. Plus it was a more mature looking version which would have appealed to different segment of the market, perhaps one who wasn't too fussed about flapper mods, and Millteks.

Its perhaps too early to tell whether the MKVI R will have the same forum appeal but I doubt it will. No offence to anyone but its a GTi with a bigger price tag, just because its low volume. Classic marketing rubbish whereby you're fooled into thinking its a better product because its more expensive and rare, when ultimately a GTi with a remap and exhaust is faster and cheaper, albeit without the Haldex.

And there's no way a Milltek will make it sound like the V6 or the 5cyl turbo. I went to a rolling road day with a load of S3s and none of them sounded remotely decent. I put my R32 on the rollers and everyone took a step backwards as it is a lot louder, but also more tuneful. Is that important? To me, yes it is. Part of the enjoyment is in the sound a car can make. Even the GTi with a Milltek on sounds too much like a hairdryer to me.

Well having my Mark 4 R for nearly 5 years ( car almost 7 years in total age 48000 miles ) im not fussed about the new R. Its current price point is overpriced , lookswise its ok but not as ralley looking as the mark 4 R and the softer looking mark 5 R ! but as mentioned by someone earlier i prefer the look of the MArk 6 GTI and its value for money option and tuning possibilities, i know the new R has those possibilities but i'd choose a new GTI without hesitation if i had the funds.

With the current economic situation sky high petrol prices etc im sure VW have very few people looking at new cars GTI's etc, Im very happy with my R32, im sure both mark 4 and 5 R32 owners will realise their Golfs will reach Mark 2 GTI cult status as their cars reach their 10 year milestones.

THe new R is ok but lookswise its just not aggressive enough looking the alloys are average, again like with alot of new car s i.e theyve got rid of the doorstrip trim!!! ( oooops there goes another dent in Tescos car park )

With Ford coming up with their fastest and most powerful Focus it remains to see what VW will pull out of their hat to compete in the new decade

we wait and see !!!!

With Ford coming up with their fastest and most powerful Focus it remains to see what VW will pull out of their hat to compete in the new decade

we wait and see !!!!

VW have shown their cards for the current generation of hot hatches, and compared to the Focus RS500, they've pulled a fart out of a hat with the R, they won't bring out any more sporty Golfs of the current generation.

I saw a risen blue Golf R today on the roads..... can only echo others comments as in that it was very subtle looking.

I agree, sound is very important to some car owners, but to others its not.... I wouldnt say the Golf R is dull sounding, but it doesnt have a unique voice/character that the V6 engine produced.

Lets go back to 2002 on Tyresmoke.net

Alot of members including myself slated the original R32 for just being a mildly fettled Golf. I including others said that the engine in the Audi S3 (1.8) had more potential etc. But we were all wrong, out of the box the orignal R32 is a cracking car and the engine is smooth, low down right until the redline. Turbo cars still suffer from turbo-log albeit not as bad as the Cosworth/Evo/Scooby days.

Having driven the Audi S3, there is noway its as smooth as the R32 engine below 2500rpms. There is definately lag... but after 2500rpms these 2.0T engines fly fast....... properly fast.... 0-62mph in something like 5.5secs? Believe me when I say this, the Audi S3 and Golf R will eat a V6 R32 alive...... but for me performance wasnt the key factor when I bought the R32.

As for the VW UK allocation for the Golf R being sold out, I can believe it, but they WILL import more... just like they did with the original R32. The numbers started at 500 for year one, this then went upto 750, eventually 2391 were imported into the UK by VW within a period of 2 years. Oct 2002 until Nov 2003 if memory serves me correctly.

Anybody honestly think VW UK wont import more to meet depends and for THEM to make bigger profits needs to re-evaluate why car makers are in this business....... to make money.

Next year the gates will be open, production will be increased and more will be sold / imported...... prices will hold for a few years then drop just like any other car.

Riz +++

I'm with the majority here - it's simply the price of the new R that's off-putting - allied to the fact that I'm skint !!! Ordering one is no issue at all, my Dealer says I can factory order one at any stage and any hype about the allocation being "sold oput" is not fact in the real world. When the car will be built and delivered is another issue altogether - the Mk6 Golf takes ages to be factory built, a real issue to all the Dealers at present.

Interestingly enough, he tells me it's the DRL's that punters see as the key design detail of the new Golf R !! Reminds me of all the folks who preferred the MkV GTi over the MkV R, because they had front fogs, ideal for use in bright sunlight !! :)

Just seen my first new R on the road. Instantly recognisable with its single R badged, uncomplicated front grill. It looked really good. Sadly, it is just that bit too understated as everyone elses has mentioned, but still very stylish nonetheless, even in silver. Would definately have one (modded too) over the S3 which is equally as understated IMO. With my move back to London, I may find myself selling the truck in favour of one. And yes, I would ay the price for one, albeit an ex-demo or up to 1 year old.

Having only read the reviews in the latest (well, latest here) EVO, CAR and Top Gear, my big observation was that they should have returned from the subdued MkV style exterior to something that was more in line with the original MkIV R32 (when compared to say a MkIV GTi).

Also as mentioned above - the VR6 noise is half the fun of the MkIV R32. Likewise in my new 6 cylinder AWD toy - the engine noise is what makes it (that and ~400hp). :P

Riz. Remember in all those RS3 posts, ages ago, we suggested the RS3 might come in at £35k territory !! Guess the MkVI R blows out that idea then !! ;) TP.
Yup sure do... I was dying for this car to get the greenlight, funny thing is, even if Audi did say "yes" I no longer want one. Considering a decent spec Audi TT-RS is £50k I don`t think there is a market for a RS3... it would be too expensive. The TT-RS is over-priced too... £50 to 60k is approaching 2nd hand Audi R8 segement.

Riz :D

Think this sums it up, take from Times Online...

The R will sell and deserves to — it’s the ultimate Golf, after all. But it’s not good enough to warrant the price tag when you can have as much fun in a stock Golf GTI and keep six grand in your pocket.

The rivals

Audi S3 quattro £27,480

For As practical and as quick as the Golf, for less cash

Against Dull to drive fast

VW Scirocco R £26,945

For Same engine as the Golf, better looking, more fun to drive, cheaper

Against Not four-wheel drive, less boot space

Riz :rolleyes:

No sure on that colour and the lack of the other 2 doors. Those bucket seats are very sexy. Very Audiesque interior.

No no no, your sooo wrong.

Any hot hatch should only have 3 doors, the addition of rear doors to a GTi type vehicle ruins the looks of it.