The Caterham Build

patently

Great effort, almost looks like a well built car! Like the red with the steel, a nice match. What happens if said built car is really not, ahem that well built? Do they sort it out and then send you a bill?

Seriously though, well done, fantastic effort.

Looks great, I bet you can't wait to get it back and take it for a spin.

God yes. I'm pining away, absolutely desperate to drive it properly.

self assembly trailers

:roflmao:

I can only imagine the sense of achievement that you must feel! I am chuffed to bits if something from ikea ends up looking like it is supposed to! Closest thing I have done to anything like that was that fecking big Lego technic car when I was about 12 :)

Yes, it really does feel great. I've not been this attached to a car, ever. I really do feel I know every nut & bolt, every little bit of the car - which makes sense, because I actually do! If a bit gets bent in the racing (which it will), I'll be genuinely confident about sorting it.

(Apart from the diff. I'm not touching that again)

I so wanted that Lego car, but we couldn't afford it. Maybe this is just that long-suppressed desire, subliminally surfacing? :grin:

Great effort, almost looks like a well built car! Like the red with the steel, a nice match. What happens if said built car is really not, ahem that well built? Do they sort it out and then send you a bill?

Seriously though, well done, fantastic effort.

Thanks, I do agree with you on the colour - although its Aluminium, btw, not steel. Lightness is everything :grin:

After they've done the PBC, yes I get sent an estimate if anything needs sorting. :uhoh:

Fantastic, the best thread on TsN for ages, the finished thing looks great. :)

There's something about spannering that forms a bond between you and a car. Please let us know when your race seasons starts because there's a few of us would like to come along and see if you can drive as well as you can build. +++

ETA - Theres not a copper in the land that would nick you for a one-off zip up and down the street in something as cool as that. I can't believe you showed so much self-restraint.

Please let us know when your race seasons starts because there's a few of us would like to come along and see if you can drive as well as you can build. +++

I second the motion from the above honourable gentleman +++

You know that you are now the TsN Caterham guru? And if anyone ever gets one here you're inbox will be full of "where does this bolt go?" and "What camber angle do think is right for the front-left wheel with a toe in of blah blah...?"

Thanks TDK, very kind! I will indeed let you know as soon as the race dates are set. After all, if you're going to really embarrass yourself, do it in front of lots of people!

You know that you are now the TsN Caterham guru? And if anyone ever gets one here you're inbox will be full of "where does this bolt go?" and "What camber angle do think is right for the front-left wheel with a toe in of blah blah...?"

Question 1 - in whichever hole it fits, there's probably only one

Question 2 - looks ok how it is, I'd say. :grin:

You know that you are now the TsN Caterham guru?

Oh yes - just noticed! :grin: Strange for TSN, a custom title that isn't insulting? :confused:

Presumably you've practiced your burnouts on the drive?

Can't! It's away being checked :( Did as best I could given that there were three other cars parked there!

(i.e. not very well at all)

It's the race report blogs I'm really looking forward to now.

Will patently retain his attractive self-effacing style, or become the megalomaniac racer blaming everyone else? :grin:

I think you'll find that the race reports could have been quicker, but my keyboard was slightly misaligned and that distracted me while I was aiming for the "Post" button.

Is there a full build time lapse video?

Sadly no, the camera kept running out of battery so big chunks got missed and I decided it wasn't worth it.

Maybe the next one I build :roflmao:

Ooh, good question.

No, I wouldn't spec it differently, but it should be said that the Academy cars are to a closely controlled spec (for competitive reasons) and there is not a huge scope for changing them. However, the options that I did add are all ones that I would keep. Mainly, this is the detachable steering wheel (because it is much easier to get in/out with that), but there was also a passenger seat and the weather equipment.

Would I build it differently? Hmmm. Well, I'd do it a lot more confidently, although that might be a good or a bad thing!

My build order (front suspension, engine, diff, rear suspension, lights, trim, interior) was actually forced upon me by the late arrival of the diff. I had planned to fit the diff before the engine, but with hindsight this would be much harder as you then need to line up the gearbox tail with the propshaft whilst inching the engine into place on its mounts. There's quite enough to watch and worry about while the engine is going in, getting the gearbox to slide over the propshaft as well would have been a nightmare. I think the build order I ended up with by accident is actually pretty well optimal.

I think I'd do more of the IVA stuff as I was going along, rather than at the end. There are a lot of bits that need covering with rubber caps or rubber piping, and getting access to many of these was a swine. It would have been easier, for example, to pipe the front suspension apertures before fitting the suspension itself. The trouble here is that the IVA regulations (and their interpretations) change over time, so Caterham have an extra pamphlet setting out some bits you need to fit at the end. Other bits are described in the build manual as you go along, so I'd try and squeeze the extra ones in as I went along.

I think I'd try and bleed the clutch the moment the system was complete, rather than doing it at the same time as the other fluids. The clutch nipple and the bleed valve are easy to get at until you build the cooling system around it and connect up the wiring harnesses above it. Then you go back to bleed it and think "where the hell has it gone?" and, once you've found it again, "how am I meant to get my hand in there?".

I'd put a lot more newspaper under the car before filling it with the various fluids it needs.

I'd put the padding on the roll cage as soon as the roll cage was fitted. When you're bending into the cockpit to fix something, you can be there so long that you forget the cage is there and it hurts when you stand up again...

I wouldn't worry about torquing the hub nuts while you're building the rear suspension. Caterham say do it to 270Nm is possible, else just take it to 81Nm and up it to 270 later. In fact, you just need to make sure the hub is properly seated, it's impossible to get beyond about 70Nm or so as it's all designed to turn round when torque is applied - so unsurprisingly it does! In the end, the hub nuts are accessible through the wheel centres, so I just got the car on the ground, put the handbrake on, and they went to 270 without any difficulty. With the wheels off and the car in the air it is all but impossible.

These changes are all details, though. I think I was quite lucky, it went smoothly and was great fun. Yes, there were worrying bits when it just seemed impossible, but the crucial thing was to realise you were getting worried, stop work, and go and have a cup of tea. Every single time, a solution occurred to me while I was have the tea, and I went back and solved it.

So there's the main recommendation: more tea breaks.

I'd love to do this as a project one day to really understand how a car works and is put together. Whilst I know the basics, the identification of many car parts would probably leave me flummoxed. I've tried to read a bit about my M3 engine but it would be better if there was an interactive guide - a sort of click on this and I'll tell you what I do.

Mook - yes, I spotted that at work today, it is on my to-watch list :grin:

Andrew - well, I'd certainly recommend it! The engine is the one "black box" bit though, it comes as a unit that you slot into position so it's internals are still unknown to me. Everything else, though - yes!