Earphones for music listening

Andrew

Ok then, I've built up a fair few points on my HSBC credit card which I can use for Amazon vouchers. This has coincided with my old Shure E2C earphones breaking so I need some new ones from Amazon. Tidy.

However, I did think of going quite "high end" for a set of Shures but I wonder about my music quality. I have lots of stuff that is recorded at 192kbps but also plenty at 128kbps and some other stuff which is probably lower. A few reviews I have read have suggested that really really good earphones might actually pick out the problems with low-res (or whatever the term is) recordings and that things might sound a bit sh1te.

Do the masses here have any experience of this? Might I be better off not going so high end? I loved the E2Cs which were about £60 but the pair I'm considering are a fair bit more than that.

Trouble is you can't really test them out since the in-ear thing means you need to ponce about with new ear buds or whatever.

There were threads on this years ago but things have moved on since!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some (not that expensive at £35) Sony in-ear headphones I use and I can definitely tell the difference between full fat and skimmed (192) recordings if there's no other noise - it just sounds tinnier. I'd imagine it would drive you nuts with some really decent headphones!

My music library varies from 128k mp3 to FLAC/AppleLossLess and you really can tell the difference, either playing on headphones or through the car's stereo.

I've tried loads of headphones including mid-level Shures and the best by far are the two I now own:

In-ear - B&W C5's - best sound and fit for tube/train/gym

C5 headphones - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W

Over-ear - Bose QuietComfort 3's - most comfortable for long haul flights

QuietComfort 3 | Bose

I wouldn't go near BOSE anymore. 3+ years ago I thought they were ace, now they're just cheap crap trading off a brand. All my recent sets haven't lasted, and have been mediocre at best.

I've been impressed with the QuietComforts... wouldn't touch their AV equipment, speakers or in-ears though. Had a CiniMate 2.1 system.... utter garbage sound out of it.

Given I have quite a few vouchers to use I did consider the 535s ... is that a terrible thing to admit? I have this problem you see, if something is better then I immediately want it over the thing that isn't as "good".

I suspect things like that will change should children ever appear on the scene!

I'm not an Audiophile, so I make do with the earphones that came with my iPhone, if they were to get lost/broken I would simply buy the cheapest set I can find.

Not because I'm a tightwad, but simply because I don't personally value the better sound quality over a cheap set.

I've been impressed with the QuietComforts..

Ditto. I've got a set of QC15's which do a great job of blocking out a lot of the noise on planes. A godsend for a frequent traveller like me.

As for most of their other stuff, BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment.

I haven't tried in ear headphones but recently bought some Dr Dre Beats Studio headphones in 'duty free'.

They, are, superb*.

They also had in ear versions, which could be pretty good. What Hifi review here:

http://www.whathifi.com/search/apachesolr_search/?filters=tid%3A350%20type%3Ahcmproduct%20tid%3A767&solrsort=created%20desc

*TBH, my ears are a bit screwed from shooting stuff and blowing stuff up for a few years, so I may not be the best judge here. +++

The standard iPhone and iPod earphones aren't great quality. I've got a couple of old baked bean tins and some string you could have for a tenner, Tipex.

A tenner? Who do you think I am, Alan Sugar?

They sell perfectly adequate earphones in pound land, for, unsurprisingly, a pound!

I've got a couple of pairs of Sennheiser in ear headphones. I often fall asleep listening to music and they've lasted years without cables breaks despite being rolled on, twisted, stretched etc. They cut out external noise (I used to use them on the train for commuting) and are really comfy.

Nice sound etc.

I've never found them lacking in any way and hence can't see the point in spending 5 or 10 times as much.

I haven't tried in ear headphones but recently bought some Dr Dre Beats Studio headphones in 'duty free'.

They, are, superb*.

They also had in ear versions, which could be pretty good. What Hifi review here:

Search | whathifi.com

*TBH, my ears are a bit screwed from shooting stuff and blowing stuff up for a few years, so I may not be the best judge here. +++

3694kd.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist the condescending Wonka image. :o;)

I have some in ear Shures for out and about and I love them. Had them a while now and they great for blocking out unwanted noise and hearing the music. I have an old pair of Sennheiser PX100 for the PC and a pair of over ears 535s for when I really want to sit and listen to stuff.

I was very close to buying some Beats after a friends recommendation but read so much bad press about the build quality, I bought the Sennheisers instead. When you're a clumsy ****er, you need something solid!