My journey towards the light that is fibre optic broadband.

Sponge

Sky Atlantic is superb and there is no doubt the quality of their non-sport programming is making major in-roads.  The deals they have with HBO put them in a very strong position for things like Game of Thrones too.  That brings in massive viewing figures and the advertising slots in the breaks cost an absolute fortune.

The BBC is of little interest to me now.

As I've said elsewhere (FB) the only thing I'm bothered about is the quality of BT Sport is awful (commentators, presenters, pundits, all crap) and Sky makes them look like a bunch of amateurs.  ITV have done a fabulous job of the Champions League and I'm very disappointed they've lost it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I think the licence fee should be scrapped personally, we rarely watch the BBC channels as there are now hundreds of other options.

Other than the rarely spotted occasional 3 episode 'series' of Top Gear, and Have I Got News For You, I'm struggling to think of anything I watch on BBC channels?

Although I will admit I found that 3 part docu-soap about Iceland quite interesting.

I worked for them, twice.

The reality isn't quite like it's shown the programme!

Spoke to a former colleague after watching one of the episodes... asking him about the mega incentive / holiday / conference things, as they didn't do that when I was there.

His reply: 'They're paying for it out of all the fecking premium payments they took off me!' (he's been there 20-odd years, but recently they took double time Sundays and Bank Holidays off long-serving managers, then additionally banned them from doing 6 day weeks to earn a bit of extra cash, too)

I always quite admired what Malcolm Walker had achieved, but he came across as a buffoon at times in the shows with some of his comments.

Not jealous of his house at all...

Yeah I assumed it wouldn't be a fully accurate representation, the thing I like about Malcolm, is that he says what he thinks, rather than pre prepared scripts.

Yes he may occasionally say something that upsets people, but i'm more likely to use his stores because of it!

The food also appears (if what he says is to be believed) to be much better quality than i'd expected, not all the party crap, the day to day food.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, speeds I can only dream about, here's my test...

1.25 mbps Download     0.68 mbps Upload

and it's never going to get better than this as we are at the very end of the wires. There are no plans to improve broadband speeds in rural France as the infrastructure would be too costly and from what I hear no other house around here has broadband, a Dutch couple about a kilometre away may have it but they are rarely there.

My friend moved to a small village in France with the same situation. Since he wanted to work from home he got some sort of satellite broadband setup and now sells it on (to manage the costs of it) to his neighbours. 

Edited by Scotty

My friend moved to a small village in France with the same situation. Since he wanted to work from home he got some sort of satellite broadband setup and now sells it on (to manage the costs of it) to his neighbours. 

Yes, we looked into that too but it's very limited in the amount of data you can download/upload before it gets very, very expensive so we just put up with the limited speed but that also stops us using anything like cloud storage so it'e local RAID drives for backup etc.