metal locking dust caps

M8CKN

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Golf-Scirocco-Passat-Polo-GTI-valve-DUST-cap-anti-lock-/321234732355?pt=UK_Cars_parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_trims_Valve_Caps_ET&hash=item4acb150543

I'm looking at getting some of these since my tyres were let down a few months ago, but I'm just wondering if they'll affect the wheel balance?

Anyone have any experiences of them?

I had them on my M3's - until a pair of scrotes nicked them.  The little sods (kids) were hanging around the car and I thought nothing of it - until I noticed at the next weekend when I washed it.   They'd done a good job of buggering the thread on the valve up too, so the next set I bought I didn't bother using the tightening screw.

I've got these on my M3 and they work completely fine. They hardly weigh anything so shouldn't affect the wheel balancing in anyway.

My Galaxy has metal dust caps, I'm sure they are just monkey metal rather than anything posh like aluminium, but they have a rubber gasket inside them too which stops them seizing, and keeps moisture out, they fit them because the valves have the pressure sensors in them (proper ones, not your VAG measure the rotation of the wheel and guess the pressure type rubbish).

They are very light, but also quite dark in colour, so just look like normal plastic dust caps and don't attract the attention of the dust cap thieves, so maybe you could source some from a Ford dealers car park late one evening? ;-)

My Galaxy has metal dust caps, I'm sure they are just monkey metal rather than anything posh like aluminium, but they have a rubber gasket inside them too which stops them seizing, and keeps moisture out, they fit them because the valves have the pressure sensors in them (proper ones, not your VAG measure the rotation of the wheel and guess the pressure type rubbish).

They are very light, but also quite dark in colour, so just look like normal plastic dust caps and don't attract the attention of the dust cap thieves, so maybe you could source some from a Ford dealers car park late one evening? ;-)

I seem to remember some cases of metal dust caps reacting with the valve stems of Ford/Jaguar TPMS valves and causing the valve to snap off due to corrosion.

I seem to remember some cases of metal dust caps reacting with the valve stems of Ford/Jaguar TPMS valves and causing the valve to snap off due to corrosion.

Not something i've ever heard of specific to those brands, but any metal dust cap has the potential to sieze on or corrode the valve, as mentioned above, due to differing metals, I guess that's why they put the rubber gasket in them now?

I always lubricate my valves (fnar fnar) anyway as I had a siezed on cap on a previous car, and have even had it with a plastic valve once.

Edited by Tipex