expensive numberplates

M8CKN

I've seen a few recently that are probably worth megabucks, but it always puzzles me when you see one which is out is sync with the car its on.

Today I saw DEL11A on a lovely Bentley GTC which looked right at home, then D505 on a blue 1980s Renault 5!

I have also recently noticed loads of 2 letter 2 number plates, AB12 for example.

Has there been an auction of them recently?

Edited by M8CKN

I have also recently noticed loads of 2 letter 2 number plates, AB12 for example.

Yes, I've noticed quite a few recently.  Weird how many combinations of two letters and two numbers can be pronounced "Arrogant Twat", isn't it? :coffee:

I've seen a few recently that are probably worth megabucks, but it always puzzles me when you see one which is out is sync with the car its on.

Today I saw DEL11A on a lovely Bentley GTC which looked right at home, then D505 on a blue 1980s Renault 5!

Harris published a piece about this recently - short plates on old cars

Already-issued plates are always available to buy, plus the DVLA run auctions selling never-issued numbers also - typically with lots of four digit plates.  Great investment long term too

I think a lot of them - on not so good cars, are for people with large egos but smaller wallets.

They would rather have a £3k plate on a £5k car - than buy a £8k car with standard dabs.......because it makes them feel important.

Unfortunately, as they become more and more popular - they become less prestigious.

I drove past a school the other day and half the cars in the teachers car park had them.

I think a lot of them - on not so good cars, are for people with large egos but smaller wallets.

They would rather have a £3k plate on a £5k car - than buy a £8k car with standard dabs.......because it makes them feel important.

Unfortunately, as they become more and more popular - they become less prestigious.

I drove past a school the other day and half the cars in the teachers car park had them.

Complete crap.

My number plate is worth four times the value of the car it's currently assigned to, that's the beauty of a private plate, I can put it on whatever I like, I've had it on brand new cars worth 30k, down to the current old banger, I don't have it for any reason other than I like it.

When I see an expensive plate (and I REALLY don't mean versions of standard format plates that happen to spell the owner's name incorrectly) on a cheap/old car I tend to assume it's an old investment, possible handed down within the family, that may well hark back to more affluent times. Even if things have taken a turn for the worse it makes sense to keep hold of a proper private plate if you can when it's appreciating more than almost any other investment. 

We also get a lot of people with car allowances buying vaguely cheap private plates to avoid the 5 year rule.

I've a private plate on my car, it's a bit cheesy in reality - but it was made to make my daughter smile as it has our initials on it. Couldn't give a toss what other people think of it in reality.

I don't get the point of expressing your individuality and freedom by putting on a number plate that The State allows you to have instead of the default plate issued to you by The State.

I'm not sure that is the point, though.

Certainly not for me, I bought mine plain and simply because I like it, no other reason.

I quite like private plates, I like laughing at the spazzy tools that try and hide the age of their 10 year old sooty range rover with massively kerbed black aftermarket 22s with a poorly spaced anagram plate.

On the flip side I like decent private plates on either nice cars or strange cars. I.e. The powder blue focus near me with LE55 CAR on it works for me in the same way Peter Richardson's 993 RS with the plate 911 PR does.