Tut...Tut...Tut...

Cuprabob

Are you selling the M3.  I would if I was doing that mileage.  Nice big chunk into the savings pot!

p.s. I completely understand the outlook on an F10. +++

No, most certainly not! I've always wanted one and if I sell it I won't be getting anything else nice for years while we work on Edinburgh Palace (I hope you realise the references to a huge house are slightly sarcastic - it will hopefully be nice but no palace!). It is worth more to me, on that basis, than it is getting £20k in the bank or whatever. Total mileage is 25,800 on an 08 plate.

No, most certainly not! I've always wanted one and if I sell it I won't be getting anything else nice for years while we work on Edinburgh Palace (I hope you realise the references to a huge house are slightly sarcastic - it will hopefully be nice but no palace!). It is worth more to me, on that basis, than it is getting £20k in the bank or whatever. Total mileage is 25,800 on an 08 plate.

But it is depreciating constantly without you getting the benefit of it!  You could put the money into investments and hire a Lamborghini twice a year on the return! :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

I think he'd also disagree with E-bmw that it is a fantastic car in all respects.  It's a lot of car for the money, but not fantastic in all respects.

The Skoda Octavia is a very capable, very good and very good value for money car.  I'd never buy one with my own money.

Whilst I know there is a difference in both perceived and actual quality & fit between the 3 & 5 we currently have a 318d for Mrs E's co car & she previously had the VRS D and unfortunately the VRS wins over the 3 in every respect form both mine & Mrs E's viewpoint.

I never thought I would say it, but it does.

And I would buy it with my own money, at the drop of a hat.

Edited by E-bmw

But it is depreciating constantly without you getting the benefit of it!  You could put the money into investments and hire a Lamborghini twice a year on the return! :roflmao:

I can't hire a Lambo to get to the gym ... I go more than twice a year.

The interior quality of the Skoda isn't up to that of a BMW - it's akin to a VW and I'd say is pretty much class-equivalent to a Passat/Golf.

After the weekend though I would say it's a stonkingly capable car when driven with commitment and fervour and covered ground very quickly indeed.

(I do have a problem with the badge though, one that I wouldn't have if it were a VW)

(I do have a problem with the badge though, one that I wouldn't have if it were a VW)

I think anyone of a certain age will have that, regardless of what some might like to say.

When I was younger (lets say when I was under 20), Skoda was the badge of derision.  Mocked, laughed at and and embarassing vehicle to own.  That has all changed but it is interesting how long an opinion can last.

But why, when certain people own/drive a Skoda, do they have to drive it everywhere like an utter **** to prove something? I see it day in day out on the roads. Work colleague has one, 'remapped'....*yawn* , drove it like a cock when i was following him (from a distance, trying to keep his sooty shit off my bumper)

I agree - there does seem to be some sort of Skoda thing where owners of vRS's's's drive like twunts- it's a fecking diesel, grow up*

* I may have absolutely spanked mine at the weekend on largely abandoned roads and got it more sideways than any RWD car I've owned. (Still, at least I wasn't an airborne Garcon headed for a 90 degree left turn a good 6 inches off the tarmac)

It does not mention the MPG they attained in the 'test' and the 'hot test'.  Seems they only did a half test.

As mentioned, the different drivers and different cars produce different results.

When your car is MOT'd, they don't always wait for it to be cold before testing, so this shouldn't really be a news article.

Thats pretty bad, you would expect a warm engine to be more efficient not less. 

The fact that it nearly triples the emissions is a shocker when its exactly the same test, it really does seem to just throw everything out of the back of the car without a care in the world no attempt at all at running cleanly. 

MOT is irrelevant isn't it Cruiser? This is testing for nitrogen dioxide not carbon dioxide. Don't think the MOT tests for N02 does it?

That's what I thought, just CO2, not nitrogen dioxide.  (or just this country anyway)

The BBC should have checked CO2, NO AND MPG on both of their 'settings'.  And then also include cold and hot running.

Seems a bit poor of the BBC - expected a more scientific.

Also against other vehicles to confirm it is only VW that is affected.

I didn't bother watching the programme. The standard of investigative journalism that goes into making a Panorama programme seems to have dived in recent years to the point where they seem to be just as bad as the misleading drivel put out by the commercial channels.

I"m pleased I'm not the only one who thinks that.+++

I stopped a good 3 years ago when it was obvious that some of the stories were blatant sensationalism and discredited within days of being broadcast.

• Like 1

So restricting the airflow is the solution, less air = less fuel, less fuel = less pollution.

It also = less performance, but I doubt your average customer would notice the difference, allowing them to maintain the 'no reduced performance' line despite it being untrue.

• Like 1