Tut...Tut...Tut...

Cuprabob

The new model or the "old" one?

I've recently sold our 62 plate one and it was great in a practical way but oh so dull.          

Its for all new models too.... so the current Golf R, I would suspect older models may be affected too.

What I can't find out is if this is a US-only problem or worldwide.

Volkswagen are now doing a promotion in the UK, if you are or have been a previous VW owner, you get a further £1000 off as loyalty.

This means you could probably get around 16% off list.

:)

The mk7. Budget available won't stretch to the mk8, despite the salesman's best efforts.

"Sir, but you can have it for £240 a month for 4 years then only have £10k at the end to pay". Well yes, but going for a mk7 means I can pay my savings back at the same rate for 3 years and I won't have anything to pay you in 4 years.

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 1

Budget is £15k. Oddly enough the space is important. I did an experiment a few weeks ago when we went to the Lakes for a week and a half as a 3-person family. I diligently added all the stuff to the Focus the Mrs said we needed. We were packed to the rafters including stuff on the rear passenger seat around the little man. I asked the wife where our new born would go in March. Hence, looking for an estate.

We did look at the 3 series but thought it too small. The A4 we didn't look at but I've not found a single example I'd buy for the budget on PHeads.

The attraction of a lower mileage newer car for £15k is hard to ignore - hence the Passat. Should perhaps look at Skoda and Seat equivalents and probably Kia etc too. But no.

How much stuff do you take!  We had an M3 (E46) with both our kids and a boot full including a full sized collapsible pram and suitcases! :roflmao:

Oh, and Mrs Me is notorious for wanting to take a house full of stuff away with us!

Buy a 520d SE Touring.  Huge space and a bloody nice car.  You can get a 2 year car with 38k on the clock for £18,800 at my local dealers.  I know that is out of budget, but a bit of searching will reveal others much, much closer or in budget.

Or, a 320d Touring.

I understand the Skoda thing. I don't think I can. Call me a snob. You would be right. Call me an idiot and on this, you are probably right too. :)

NNMM - I looked at the 5 series touring but there isn't one on PH for the budget and miles I'd be happy with - all over 50k. 

Oh, and we take shed loads. After each trip I ask if there was anything we didn't use - apparently not. You should see us on holiday. Last trip to Majorca we had 8 or 9 items between us.

I understand the Skoda thing. I don't think I can. Call me a snob. You would be right. Call me an idiot and on this, you are probably right too. :)

NNMM - I looked at the 5 series touring but there isn't one on PH for the budget and miles I'd be happy with - all over 50k. 

Oh, and we take shed loads. After each trip I ask if there was anything we didn't use - apparently not. You should see us on holiday. Last trip to Majorca we had 8 or 9 items between us.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

How!!!

You really don't need all that stuff!

However, the Passat is a class size up from the Skoda, so will take more crap. 

I had 2 kids and the then wife, went to Pakefield and just used the boot of the Audi V8 I had at the time.  Never had an estate until kiddy number 3 arrived.  Even then, never had a roof rack for the C4 A6 avants I had.  :)  

Even used the storage cover thingy to hide the stuff in the boot!

Dare i mention MPVs? If you want space, go look at an SMax. There's loads of room and it still drives nicely for a bus.

We use the 7 seats every so often for ferrying friends/kids friends about on short trips but its mainly in 5 seat mode. The amount of stuff we took in it for a week biking/walking etc in France in the summer was quite impressive. Didnt stop me filling a roof box full of crap as well though!

Mrs Andrew clearly has been taking packing lessons from Mrs Drinks.

We had a Passat and roof box on many holidays. Admittedly we also have a hound taking up valuable boot space. The bigger the car the more you take, there is only so much stuff you need though try telling her that!

Now we have a VW transporter I hope that's big enough, at least for now.

• Like 1

I'm really not up for a bus. The missus wasn't even up for an estate but once I'd packed the Focus and asked her where the new-born would sit, she conceded. I did suggest she packed less stuff - apparently that isn't an option. I'd far rather not spend £15k on a new car, I'd rather use that money to pay off a bit more of the mortgage, but needs must!

its all to easy to pack lots of stuff. We normally go for the essentials and add little extra bits in all of the gaps in the boot. 

But my wife seems to think that I have the packing capability of a removal company. She dumps goodness knows how many bags and I manage to fit them into what ever car we have and she doesn't know how I do it every time. 

I'm considering an estate next time as we might do a bit of camping whilst they are young ( a night or two only!!) and I can see that needs lots and lots of space. 

• Like 1

I can see that side of it (mileage) but I would say this - mine is nudging 50,000 miles now.  There isn't a single rattle, fault (never has been either) etc and the car drives like it came out of the showroom yesterday (okay, I'm sure someone will say "no it won't", and be technically correct, but it is as smooth and as quiet as ever).

However, yes I can appreciate how it might change things when it isn't a car you've had from new and therefore know how it has been treated through those miles.  +++

I wouldn't buy an Octavia for a few reasons and I think eldavo would be honest enough to tell you he probably wouldn't either.  Not that I'm saying he's unhappy with his car as I'm reasonably certain he isn't, but I have a feeling he'd be the first to tell you not to expect the same level of quality as you might be used to in Audi, BMW, etc.

I think he'd also disagree with E-bmw that it is a fantastic car in all respects.  It's a lot of car for the money, but not fantastic in all respects.

The Skoda Octavia is a very capable, very good and very good value for money car.  I'd never buy one with my own money.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have an F10 Touring in a heartbeat but the reality is that we don't need to be spending good F10 money on a car when the palatial residential existence my wife desires is very much the number one focus.

Five years down the track, if all the planning comes to fruition, then an F10 (or whatever) is where I'll be. I spent my formative youth in Mercedes as my dad has owned S Classes for as long as I can recall, however my BMW has been such an impressive car*. I'm utterly sold on the brand.

* I think. I'm embarrassed to say that since its MOT in April it has done 300 miles. Two noughts. That did include an excellent thrash across some of Scotland's more exciting roads a couple of months back. 100 miles - half a tank. I did give it a very deep clean this weekend and treated it to a layer Swissvax mind you.

But my wife seems to think that I have the packing capability of a removal company. She dumps goodness knows how many bags and I manage to fit them into what ever car we have and she doesn't know how I do it every time.

Tell me about it, I have one like that too.

Land Rover Discovery ftw.  It seems to have an infinite interior capacity.  You just keep shovelling the bags in...

• Like 1