So, Valencia then...

JonC

Giving the thumbs down on the podium?

Sure, that was a incredibly twatish thing to do to a team mate. I certainly do not buy into the conspiracy theory, and I'm not defending Lorenzo, but all 3 riders are guilty of some twatism recently!  +++

Rossi looks quicker than normal for FP.

He's in Sunday mode already (look at the number of laps he did). Physcological tactics at its best to unsettle his team mate. Clever.

Edited by JonC

Marquez should be charged with unsportsmanlike conduct. Team orders are one thing but who has ever seen anything like this ? A disgusting spanish stitch up supported by Honda and Dorna. It couldnt have gone better for them. He fulfilled his contract to Lorenzo to the letter. Bastards both of them. Ruined the best season in decades. Yamaha should dump Lorenzo ASAP. Can we expect the same next year with Lorenzo returning the favour ? 

• Like 1

I don't buy into this conspiracy theory, not in the slightest. Rossi messed up and got penalised. Tough. Would the conspiracy rumour mill be doing overtime had Rossi not run Marquez wide and clipped him off, and not been penalised and qualified as normal? Had Rossi been sitting on the first row alongside Lorenzo and had finished first or second, he'd be a hero. He had a fantastic race passing 20-odd bikes in almost as many laps, but he's still the hard done one. Hyped loyalty to a legendary rider who's not as epic as he once was. 

I don't buy the theory of a deliberate conspiracy between Lorenzo and Marquez but I don't really think you can argue with the fact that Marquez made that very easy for Lorenzo on Sunday.

To fight back at Pedrosa, who he knew was half a second a lap quicker, just compounds the view that he was happy to let Jorge sit out front.  MM would have seen on his pit board that Dani was closing him down at a heck of a rate and must have been expecting a pass.  Fair play to Pedrosa who I think would have gone on to pass Lorenzo at that stage but even if that had happened it would have still been in vain for Rossi as Marquez would have sat in third.  

• Like 1

I don't buy into this conspiracy theory, not in the slightest. Rossi messed up and got penalised. Tough. Would the conspiracy rumour mill be doing overtime had Rossi not run Marquez wide and clipped him off, and not been penalised and qualified as normal? Had Rossi been sitting on the first row alongside Lorenzo and had finished first or second, he'd be a hero. He had a fantastic race passing 20-odd bikes in almost as many laps, but he's still the hard done one. Hyped loyalty to a legendary rider who's not as epic as he once was. 

Agreed 100%.  Rossi has shown himself to be a very bitter man. 

I don't understand why there's an expectation that just because someone is fighting for a championship that they should get a pass by the other riders.  The BT commentators who I usually agree with were saying that it was right that the riders at Valencia wouldn't fight with Rossi when he tried to pass them.  I couldn't disagree more.  It's a race!

Totally agree it's a race .... so why didn't Marquez?

I'm not convinced he didn't.  He almost lost the front end on the final corner and would have lost time when Pedrosa tried to pass him,

Did you see the start Rossi got? That bike compared to the others around him! It was unbelievable.

It wasn't entirely unexpected that Rossi would get away better than the Open class bikes, but yeah, he got a fantastic start and was fantastic to watch on the opening laps.  He definitely had the bit between his teeth.  It's a bit of a shame that Petrucci jumped out of the way for him though.

I wouldn't class myself as a fan of Moto GP, I don't watch qualifying and probably see on average of 3/4 of the races throughout a season. However in every single race I have seen where one rider is directly behind another, the person in second will always make a move.

Often passing the front runner and pissing off into the distance towards the end of the race. On occasions the lead is swapped several times before someone gets the upper hand.

What I'm trying to say is I have never seen a rider sit so close to another rider without making a move at some point. I'm not shouting stitch up but I am questioning MM's desire. If he needed to win that race would it have unfolded like it did on Sunday?

You could argue that he didn't want to cause Lorenzo to crash out because that would have huge implications. If that was his train of thought, why sit so close. Why not back off a couple of seconds?

MM was making a statement as far as I'm concerned. He was showing the world that he was as fast as Lorenzo by staying in his slipstream but he chose not to attempt to take the lead. That way he protects his ego because he will feel he wasn't beaten, more like he 'let' Lorenzo win (for whatever reason).

Edited by billy2shots
  • Like 1

But it's not about the teams it's about the individuals and their egos.

MM will want to go on to be one of the best and if his entry into the sport is anything to go by he may. I'm sure he believes that. He'd rather Lorenzo get to be a 3rd World Champ as I'm sure in his mind he'll be able to surpass that. Rossi getting 10 would be harder to surpass.

What this does do is make next year even more exciting. Pedrosa back on form and some massive rivalries. Also possibly Rossi's last chance to get the 10th.