New High Pressure Washer required

NewNiceMrMe

On Saturday morning my 3 year old Karcher pressure washer finally died.

It has been putt-putting for months now, with steam rising from it and it's been giving off a very nasty burning smell. However, being the tight-fisted swine I am I decided it could bloody well keep going until it went bang.

It didn't go bang on Saturday......instead the hose from the washer to the lance sprang a huge leak. Pressure went to zero, water went all over the place, the hose acted like a python on heroine and that was that.

I use it for a quick blast over the car before washing, but mainly on the alloys to save me having to spend 10 minutes on every single wheel on my hands and knees. After a blast with a high pressure washer I find they can be sponged down in seconds after that.

So - what to get now.

There is only one major factor in this purchase:

- The hose from the washer to the lance MUST be a decent length (6m, standard, has been a pain for too long now).

I've looked around and to be honest the Halfords HP200 sounds very good for the money. It's 160 bar AND it offers a 10m hose which would be perfect for me. Any thoughts?

See the one I'm thinking of getting HERE.

P.S. It's been reduced from £269 to £179 too, so it's even more appealing!

Thanks for all the suggestions to date guys.

I haven't made a final decision yet. My preference towards a tower standing unit is mainly due to storage. I'd like a unit that allows the lance and hose to be safely stored see (I suspect the previous unit hose has been damaged by our eldest running over it on her bike in the garage time and time again).

I always follow the same routine - unit in garage, hose out of garage door, shut door to within 2 inches of bottom. That's because otherwise the cats get in there and wreck anything they find whenver the door is open!

I'll probably order one in the next few days so keep the recommendations coming. I do look into every single one and weigh up the merits against what I need.

The hose length is a major factor though.

The first time I used my Karcher I noticed how easily the hose chafed on brick edges etc, and they are not cheap to replace. I cut a length of old 1/2 inch hose to length, slit it end to end, then covered the high pressure hose with it, securing with a few cable ties.

• 8 months later...

For the love of God don't do it! (The HP200 that is!)

I had two of these in short sucession.

The first one refused to dispense halfords on brand washing fluid.

The replacement I recieved packed up after the second wash.

I handed the second one back and got a Karcher instead which actually

works, is easy to operate and chnage attachements and you can apply

detergent whilst using the car brush attachment which never worked with the

HP200.

Oh and the hose always kinked on the HP200.

You can probably tell I was not too impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Carlh, six months on and I'd agree with you.

Mine is still working, but not without faults.

1 - the reel has never latched on to the unit properly, meaning that retracting or extending the hose is a pain in the rear.

2 - the hose joint (at the base of the unit) leaks water. No matter what I have tried it'll not attach properly.

3 - the handle on the lance is far too firm.

As I say, it's working and it does it's job, but I'll probably spend my money elsewhere next time.

I bought the Halfords HP200 a couple of months ago and it has been fine. However, I noticed something the other day and I'm not sure if it's anything.

I could have sworn the motor only engaged when you pressed the handle on the lance, but now it's running all the time, whether you're hosing or not.

Has anyone else got one that can confirm either way?

sounds like the flow switch is knackered.

In time it will burn out the motor/pump, as its presurising against a shut end.

a year on, my Karcher is still going strong, with no faults at all.

It will be getting a rest this summer though, due to the hoseepipe ban.

good price, it was on special at homebase around xmas, i bought a bosch one from B&Q with wheels, 3 lances, std, adjustable direction and "spinner?" it also had a brush attachment. seems good so far.

PS hope you all use RCD's!! or have a modern house znaika.gif

chas

So, is it safe to say Karchers are the best pressure washers you can buy?

The wife is buying me one for my Birthday and I'd rather point her in the right direction and put money toward one than her buy one from B&Q and have to take it back as soon as I've opened it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a similar need to enquire as MrMe. Advice appreciated. 169144-ok.gif

P_G, I've been looking at buying a Karcher in the near future. I use a real cheap pressure washer (£30) which although it has served me well, it's on it's way out.

The K399 is currently on offer @ £99.99 with Amazon (usually £130) and the K499 is on offer @ £132.99 with Argos (usually £200).

The K499 comes with a lovely rotary brush for grinding the grit into your car when you clean it Flush.gif

I've had a Karcher OKIKOKI 2000 (unsure of exact model number but old and very noisy!!) for over 10 years and still going strong. Sometimes the switch on top of the unit doesn't turn off and occasionally the water comes out in blasts rather than continuous pressure. Would definitely buy another Karcher - they've come a long way since I got mine although I guess some quality may have fallen (hoses etc) smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

P_G, I've been looking at buying a Karcher in the near future. I use a real cheap pressure washer (£30) which although it has served me well, it's on it's way out.

The K399 is currently on offer @ £99.99 with Amazon

(usually £130) and the K499 is on offer @ £132.99 with Argos (usually £200).

The K499 comes with a lovely rotary brush for grinding the grit into your car when you clean it Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Homebase have a Karcher reduced fromm £100 to

£59.99 not sure of the model no.