Advice please.

dazdot

I have today received by courier a mobile phone from Orange. I didn't order this, or any other phone. I phoned Orange to tell them of the mistake, and was told to send it back to them. I'm not happy doing this as i would not get a receipt from them, so i suggested that the courier who delivered it could pick it back up, but no, they couldnt possibly do that, they want me to pay to send it recorded delivery! I told them, as i received this unsolicited that i would keep it at home, unopened until they came and collected it at my convenience.

The parcel was addressed to someone i don't know, but with my address and signed for by my next door neighbour as i was out at the time.

Did i do the right thing? Is unsolicited mail as the DTI says below?

[ QUOTE ]

Someone who receives goods in these circumstances may retain them as an unconditional gift, and does not have to pay for or return any unwanted goods.

[/ QUOTE ] 169144-ok.gif

Keep it mate.

Vodafone sent me a black Motorola V3 a couple of weeks ago, I called them to ask them to collect it and they said they couldn't as they did not have a record of me having it! DOH!

They said they would in the end, but 2 weeks later and I call back to be told they no nothing about it.

So I have a brand new V3 sitting here doing nothing!

Anyone want to make me an offer!!?? wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Keep it mate.

Vodafone sent me a black Motorola V3 a couple of weeks ago, I called them to ask them to collect it and they said they couldn't as they did not have a record of me having it! DOH!

They said they would in the end, but 2 weeks later and I call back to be told they no nothing about it.

So I have a brand new V3 sitting here doing nothing!

Anyone want to make me an offer!!?? wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would you want?

Do you think its a cool phone for a 12 year old?

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely don't send it back. Sounds like you have already taken "reasonable steps" to return it. Just hang on to it for a little while and see what happens. It is probably not worth their while chasing it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Don't use it, yet, but put it to one side in case they want it. You have to take reasonable care of it while it's in your possession. Definitely do not go to any extreme steps to return it, i.e. do not pay and do not take time out to wait in for a collection. Make them work around you.

However, be reasonable (it sounds like you have) and give them the chance to attempt recovery.

One problem would be determining how long it is reasonable for you to hold onto it, before you can think they have written it off and it's safe for you to use/sell. crazy.gif

It's also open to debate as to whether or not you can consider it an unsolicited gift, as it wasn't addressed to you. I would say it wasn't, even though it has your address on it.

Is it a name you recognise? Have you lived there long? Did they live there before you? Is it for a neighbour, but they have the house number wrong?

PS What phone is it? wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have today received by courier a mobile phone from Orange. I didn't order this, or any other phone. I phoned Orange to tell them of the mistake, and was told to send it back to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was recently on the receiving end of Orange's incompetence for delivery.

I ordered a mobile phone from them and it didn't come. When I rang them they said they had delivered it. When I told them they hadn't they were quite snotty and insistent they had and they had a signature off me to prove it.

I asked them to show me my signature or the signature of the person who had signed for it. A little while later, I had a call off them saying there had been an error and the phone hadn't even been despatched, no apology or feck all.

When it did come it looked like someone had been playing football with it and the box (inside the sealed courier's bag) was battered to hell and had already been opened.

Never again.

My advice would be to keep it.

If they want it back, tell them to pick it up from your house at a time that suits you (sometime between 08:00 and 18:00 on a Saturday - you can't be sure exactly when you'll be in but if they keep trying between those hours, they should be able to catch you). Make sure you don't go home until 17:55 - give them a taste of their own fecking medicine tongue.gif