RS4 in my dealership!!

mgoliver(aka Beermeister)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

There was a red one in my local dealer yesterday - they were offering test drives from the 1st March - seemed surprisingly eager to offer test drives for a car that they said was sold out.

It did look good but not sure it's >50k good. I thrashed my S4 on deserted back roads all the way home and really couldn't think of why I'd need/be able to use anything more at the moment - having said that maybe a test drive would change my mind, if I lived next door to Brands and only worked 2 days a week, and had 50k in my pocket.

I've taken a bath on buying my Exige from new, so not being utterly convinced by the RS4 yet I'll wait for used RS4s to come up and then maybe take a peek at how the values hold.

Had to go to Worcester today as I had a slow puncture which needed repairing, so I thought I'd go an have a look to see if Listers had got an RS4 to look at.

There it was parked just outside the showroom gleaming in Daytona Grey with an 06 plate on...looked stunning with its flared arches. I parked right next to it in the S4 just for some comparisons, and I hadn't even reached the showroom door before I was greeted by one of my customers (Broadway local) who is now working for them. Before I know it, the guy who's car it is, presumably the sales manager came out and said "let me get a box out the boot before you go out in it" grin.gifECLIPSe.gifgrin.gif

Before we went out for a spin I had a little play with the seats and buttons etc (don't press the sport button on the steering wheel if you've had too many doughnuts, the electric bolsters are very cosy in sport setting shocked.gif) Other than the std non-electric seats, DIS and fantastic Lambo steering wheel its no different to mine inside. The first thing you notice when you climb into the car is a very wide sill, due to the flared arches.

Starting the car is ignition on clutch down and press the starter button, then you are greeted to a rather surprisingly subtle V8 sound which is much quieter than mine which is a little disappointing but was told by the manager that it does change once on the move. A few blips of the throttle and mine drowns the sound of the RS4, but with the promise of that changing when driving it kept my interest.

Now its time for a few miles behind the wheel but not before Sean takes the wheel first. He takes it fairly easy (the cars got 56 miles on the clock) for a couple of miles then we get out and swap seats. It takes a little while to get comfortable due to the lack of electric adjustment but you can get it right with a little time. Off we go...Sean in the passenger seat and Tracey in the back "I wander what shes thinking at this point?" I take it fairly easy for a few miles getting the feel of the thing. The gearbox is lovely, short and precise, very much like the Porsche which is a pleasure to use. The steering had more feedback than the S4 and the whole car feels just right, as if its meant for road and track whereas the S4 would protest at being chucked around a track without its suspension being sorted. I tried the 30mph in 6th trick which mine is more than capable of doing without labouring but the RS does not like this at all, so straight back in to 4th as labouring a brand new engine is not good crazy.gif

Before anyone rants and raves at me now, I did ask permission for what was about to happen next! after all if I'm going to spend £50k+ I want to know what its really like grin.gif

I took it a little quicker than you should with new tyres etc around a roundabout but not enough to lose traction athough I really, really had to tense the muscles in my right leg to refain from pushing further...it handles far better than the S4, in a totally different league. Coming off the round about I missed the quick change into 3rd which maybe down to a tight gearbox, although the Porsche was exactly the same until it was warmed up enough. There is a fairly long straight coming off the next roundabout so into 3rd at about 5-6k revs then nearly 8k revs into 4th...anchors on but not hard so can't really comment on brakes.

Performance wasn't as blistering as I imagined and certainly didn't feel any quicker than mine but that maybe down to being quieter and not having enough time with it.

Ultimately the RS4 is a very well sorted 4 seater sports car that looks stunning, sounds great and a car I'd love to own, but in Avant form which is no bad thing as I couldn't afford to buy an RS4 now with everything that's going on in my life but hopefully things will be a bit better in 6 mths time when the Avant comes out wink.gif

My car in comparison is a exactly what the S4 is all about...a good looking, fast family estate car which is comfortable day in day out, but understated which surprises most other performance cars.

The RS4 is very good value for money compared to anything else in its sector on the road. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

"The RS4 is very good value for money compared to anything else in its sector on the road."

[/ QUOTE ]

Great review Martin. Interesting how you think this even though you said it didn't seem faster than your S4.

The standard B7 S4 handles better than the B6 S4. Wonder if the RS4 handles better again, or not.

Have you driven a B7 S4 too? - how did it compare? 169144-ok.gif

Chav, although it doesn't seem faster, thats not the main consideration on buying a car though as you'd probably agree that its the whole package like how it drives and delivers the power that its got. The Boxster S is a great package and thats got a lot less power but delivers what power it has got very, very satisfactory grin.gif although compromised as an everyday car. The noise of the RS4 is spectacular but as I'm use to the sound of mine it doesn't really sound as good as mine as its quieter, to me anyway.

No I haven't driven the B7 S4 so sorry I can't compare the two.

Andy, mine is now sold to the first person to see it (deposit taken with collection next week), and after all this time I had loads of people this week wanting it. Its a strange world in the second hand car market. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Andy, mine is now sold to the first person to see it (deposit taken with collection next week), and after all this time I had loads of people this week wanting it. Its a strange world in the second hand car market. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it was just too close to Christmas ??

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it was just too close to Christmas ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, and maybe due to people more concerned about paying their credit card bills after Christmas. I know we arte always quiet in the shop for a at least a couple of months into the new year.

[ QUOTE ]

So if you, for example had a stage 3 S4, is it worth the money to change?

[/ QUOTE ]

My comparisons were based on mine with the stage 3, but if it were based on a std S4 then the difference would be quite noticable. I wouldn't pay that extra for performance alone but more for better handling and the way it makes you feel, it puts a big grin.gif on your face.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So if you, for example had a stage 3 S4, is it worth the money to change?

[/ QUOTE ]

My comparisons were based on mine with the stage 3, but if it were based on a std S4 then the difference would be quite noticable. I wouldn't pay that extra for performance alone but more for better handling and the way it makes you feel, it puts a big grin.gif on your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely the RS4 will have tuning potential too? Milltek have already got an exhaust system in development and there are bound to be Re-Maps in the pipeline.......

When I saw a car a couple of weeks back at my dealers they'd just got back from a demo and pulled it out of the showroom for me.

It sounded fantastic and spins up really fast. If it were mine I doubt I'd want it any louder. I'm not sure if the sport setting make any difference just standing there - Maybe the engine needs to be under load?

Also with such a low mileage it'll be hard to judge performance, I'm going to wait a month or so before I have a drive of one...

I can't wait!!!

BUB jump.gif