1st post & questions re the A4 2.0T FSI S-Line

Justhe1

Firstly, a big hi to all, 169144-ok.gif .Thought it was about time I joined the forum as an impending A4 owner to be..!

I am looking at choosing the A4 2.0 T FSI S-line saloon, (possibly quattro) when I opt back into a co. car scheme with my new job and could do with a few pointers...

My lease limit through the comapny is £500/month ex VAT, but I can add to this to get what I want (within reason!) smirk.gif and as such the 2.0 T FSI looks pretty good on paper with regards to performance v Co2 emissions.

I want to keep my personal contribution to a max of £50/month but can't decide on the options to take..

I've kinda been spoilt with regards to this, as my M3 has just about everything (sat nav, heated leather, upgraded sound etc etc) and it appears that the standard kit, even on the S-Line is pretty basic..

So far I've specced S-Line, Met Paint, Xenons, Alcanterra/leather, Symphony, Bose, Arm rest, rear sensors & auto dim mirror - and that is just within my budget.

My main decision is whether or not to pay the extra (in P11D value & Tax) for the Quattro - Coming from a RWD car, and a Quattro (TT) before that my heart says yep, sod the cost, but the head says it's not worth the £90/month extra out of my own pocket, but with it being my only car will I miss it if I don't.....

Plus if I'm going to get it remapped (which I will) I suppose the Quattro starts to make more sense - I've also hear that there's a few syncromesh issues with the non quattro manual box....?

Other things I'm stuck on :

1) colour - was looking at Phantom Black but do I really want to be cleaning it every weekend? what about Akoya or liquid blue?

2) should I pay the extra and go for the full leather, but then I'll need to heat them, more cost!

3)Do I really need DIS?

And lastly does the S-Line steering wheel in the A4 come with the S-Line badge & the red stitching as per the A6 S-Line as the car at the stealers didn't...?

Sorry for all the questions - just that its proving to be more of an issue choosing the right spec that I thought..!! coffee.gif

Cheers in advance!

J

Go for the 220PS special edition s-line.

Over the standard 2.0T s-line, it's more powerful, has more torque, comes with full leather and DIS as standard, has the multifunction s-line badged steering wheel and s-line embossed seats (no red stitching though). It also has other goodies like black headlining and cross drilled discs.

Personally I would go for Quattro. It will improve the handling, help reduce the understeer and almost eliminate wheelspin which may be a problem putting 220PS through the front wheels.

Oh, and welcome to TSN 169144-ok.gif

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Have had 3 quattros and although not had much experience of FWD cars would say its definately worth paying the extra. Also, coming from a M3 I think you'll find a FWD a totally different animal. Why not just go the whole hog and go for a S4, no loss of performance, quattro and an extra set of doors (just don;t think about the mpg!!!)

As regards extras, I've got Bose & symphony and wouldn't be without them, love the dimming mirror, one of those things you don't realise is brilliant until you haven't got it anymore, my car comes with Xenons so not sure if I'd pay the extra for that. As regards the centre arm rest, although I haven't got it at present I have had it in previous cars and always found it got in the way. Heated leather seats are the business so that may be worthwhile.

Suppose it all depends on how long you are going to keep the car. However you spec it I'm sure you'll love it.

cheers guys,

Is the special edition the "DTM Special edition" or is there another "special edition?" - I ask becuase the DTM is quite a bit more, and personally I prefer the 5 arm alloys (and S-line grill/bumper with front spots) over the DTM alloys & front bumper, plus I at least have to try and look like a respectable businessman when I pick up my customers and that blue is not very subtle...!

Its def looking like the Quattro then ah well - one decision made, two to go...

J

No, it's separate to the DTM 169144-ok.gif

It has the 220PS version of the engine like the DTM and the 15 spoke alloys like the DTM but you can get the 5 arm alloys as a no cost option.

Over the normal 2.0T s-line, it comes with the following:

8 J x 18 ‘15-spoke’ design alloy wheels with 235/40 R18 tyres and space save spare wheel

3-spoke S line multifunction steering wheel

Black exhaust pipes

Black headlining

Drivers Information System

Full leather upholstery (2 tone black/graphite)

Aluminium brushed silver inlays

S line scuff plates

Ventilated cross-drilled front disc brakes

The OTR cost is £23,995 for the 2WD or £25,395 for the quattro.

All the other options are the same cost other than:

Colour DIS upgrade £100

Full black leather interior (valcona) £400

You should be able to get 8%-10% discount or possibly a little bit more if you catch a dealer at the right time.

If you go to the Audi website here, you can download the latest pricelist with all the information you'll need 169144-ok.gif

In my opinion, it's the best value model currently in the A4 range.

I have a Mkv golf GTI so the car your looking at has the same engine. four wheel drive is good if your going hell for leather in poor conditions but front wheel drive suits 95% of the time. Just read mag articles compareing R32 to GTI, most say GTI is better handling. Lets not forget this will be your company car and 4 wheel drive uses more juice.

If your looking at the manuel make sure the arm rest doesent get in your way.

I have a an A4 2.0T quattro s-line and it is re-mapped. I would go for quattro especially if you get yours re-mapped. In my opinion phantom black is the best colour and the 18" 5 arm alloys look nice too. I went for Alcantara leather and think it looks nicer than full leather.

I would also consider BOSE and front centre arn rest(nice for long journeys.

Its definitely no M3 performance wise, but now its re-mapped would compare well against a BMW 330petrol or an A4 3.2.

Good luck

Great stuff keep 'em coming guys..! Its really helpful to hear others views/thoughts..(Cheers for the link Milo) 169144-ok.gif

I've just asked Audi to quote me for both the 2wd and quattro special editions with the same options (less the alcantra) that I had been quoted on previously for the "standard" s-line.

Will be interesting to see how they pan out per month...

Just a thought, but if the special edition is 220PS, can this still be remapped for a favourable gain (say 245-250ish) or is that what they have effectively done already...?

Where can I find pics of a black FSI S-Line saloon with 5 arm alloys - can't seem to see any in the gallery and my dealer only has naff colours...

Cheers

J

Right, just got the finance quotes back from Audi, and this is how they stack up as a company lease, 25k p.a , 3+33 fully maintained.

For comparison all cars are the 2.0 T FSI saloon and have the following options: met phantom black paint, FCA, Symphony, Bose, Accoustic rear park, Auto Dimming mirror, Xenons. The standard S line has Alcantera/leather and the special editions have the 2 tone leather...

s-line £545.58/month. Total cost to me in co car tax/contribution £257.87/month.

s-line quattro £570.60/month. Total cost to me in co car tax/contribution £345.03/month.

s-line special ed. £545.82/month. Total cost to me in co car tax/contribution £257.87/month.

s-line special ed. quattro £573.13/month. Total cost to me in co car tax/contribution £345.03/month.

Its a no brainer to go for the special edition over the "standard" s-line and get the wheels changed for the 5 arm alloys as I get the leather, DIS, black headligning, drilled disks etc.

Its just whether I can justify the extra £87.16/month or £1045 p.a. to have the quattro.......

J

I am in the same situation with £550 pm for full maintenance etc, which lease company does your firm use?

I will probably have an S-Line avant in flat black (free), with black cloth interior (if thats standard) and the only option of rear park assist to keep to monthly lower and go for the quattro....

Once you've had all wheel drive its difficult to go back to FWD or RWD.

Well the figures definitely say special edition over standard s-line. I think if you don't go for quattro in a 220PS A4, you may regret it. Being a company car, you'd be stuck with it for 3 years as well 169144-ok.gif

The quattro is 10% thirstier but as you're like me i.e. your's is a company car, your fuel allowance pays for your fuel so the actual cost to you is minimal (i.e. you pay the 10% premium for a thirstier car = not a lot of £s).

Go for it 169144-ok.gif

billy2shots:

[ QUOTE ]

have a Mkv golf GTI so the car your looking at has the same engine. four wheel drive is good if your going hell for leather in poor conditions but front wheel drive suits 95% of the time. Just read mag articles compareing R32 to GTI, most say GTI is better handling. Lets not forget this will be your company car and 4 wheel drive uses more juice.

If your looking at the manuel make sure the arm rest doesent get in your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you trying to compare a Golf to an A4?

The A4 is larger, heavier and can suffer from quite bad understeer. Have a look through this forum and see how many times it is mentioned as well as lack of front wheel traction when making brisk standing starts in damp or wet conditions.

As for front wheel drive suiting 95% of the time - I presume you mean the Golf. It's a different story in the A4 in my opinion as it's a completely different car to the Golf.

Personally, I wouldn't want a 220PS A4 with 300Nm of torque and front wheel drive.

I'll probably get flamed for this but in a Saloon, I'd ditch the BOSE smirk.gif

The saloon has a large sub built under the parcel shelf which makes the standard set up a lot better than the standard set up in the cab and avant.

Unless you're in the habit of pumping out Gangsta Rap on volume 30 with the bass on 6, I'd keep my £480 in the bank 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'll probably get flamed for this but in a Saloon, I'd ditch the BOSE smirk.gif

The saloon has a large sub built under the parcel shelf which makes the standard set up a lot better than the standard set up in the cab and avant.

Unless you're in the habit of pumping out Gangsta Rap on volume 30 with the bass on 6, I'd keep my £480 in the bank 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But the BOSE sounds its best in the saloon though, Milo! smlove2.gif

Definitely a worthy upgrade, especially if you haven't gone for RNS-E! 169144-ok.gif

I was only stateing the fact that the front wheel drive can put down the 197bhp (or 200ps)with little trouble.I didnt mean it would be ok at rallying or trafic light G.P.

Im sorry i voiced an opinion i thought that was the idea of the site. People arnt always 100% accurate but as the person was looking at a car with yhe same engiene as i have and use every day i thought i might comment.

I have been put in my place and will learn from this.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Where can I find pics of a black FSI S-Line saloon with 5 arm alloys - can't seem to see any in the gallery and my dealer only has naff colours...

[/ QUOTE ]

8_G.jpg

and more here courtesy of rjgreen and his now departed 2.0T quattro s-line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, that looks superb,169144-ok.gif thanks again Milo - do you happen to know if that is Phanton black or plain black at all...?

[ QUOTE ]

The A4 is larger, heavier and can suffer from quite bad understeer. Have a look through this forum and see how many times it is mentioned as well as lack of front wheel traction when making brisk standing starts in damp or wet conditions.

As for front wheel drive suiting 95% of the time - I presume you mean the Golf. It's a different story in the A4 in my opinion as it's a completely different car to the Golf.

Personally, I wouldn't want a 220PS A4 with 300Nm of torque and front wheel drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

He, he.... I was actually finding the torque steer rather good fun yesterday! ECLIPSe.gif

If you don't mind looking like a chav at the lights in the rain, FWD isn't that bad really. After owning one for a good while now, I can predict when it'll wheelspin etc.

The more I drive the B7 S4 cab though, the more I like the new 40:60 quattro (assuming I'm not imagining it - haven't read anything to confirm its 40:60)... it feels much, much less nose heavy than B6, which is a nice thing.

[ QUOTE ]

I have the same car allowance which after tax just about pays for my insurance, petrol and tyres in a year.... suicide.gifECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's why I'm opting back in when I join my new company, after a year of great fun in my M3 (and I will miss it immensely) I'm kinda looking forward to having a co. car again, I've spent £3k+ this year in insurance, servicing & tyres alone, not to mention the dreaded "D" word...!

At the moment I get taxed at 40% on my car allowance, so opting back in and getting the full benefit of the £500/month allocation, not to mention no insurance, tax, and worrying where to park it will be quite refreshing.

I think I may still pay for petrol myself & claim it back if they offer a decent rate, I haven't worked out if |I'll be better off or not re. that as yet...

Just one thing re the special edition - why the black exhaust pipes? - I like the look of the chrome tailpipes myself....!

J

[ QUOTE ]

Just a thought, but if the special edition is 220PS, can this still be remapped for a favourable gain (say 245-250ish) or is that what they have effectively done already...?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I can gather the special edition is just a standard 2.0T FSI engine with a mild re-map. If you take it to (e.g.) REVO, they will just over-write this with their own code, so in effect you're no better off. frown.gif