S4 and trackers do i need to fit one ?

mpgrant5

Guest PeterPiper

Some do, some don't! Ask, and if you don't like what you hear, shop around. There is a theory followed by some, if it'e nicked, do you really want it back. Consider gap insurance instead.

When I got my 3.0 Cab my insurance would not even cover me without Tracker. Two years later I swap to an S4 that happened to have Tracker and SAME insurance company say it is not required on this vehicle!! OK, so do I get a discount for having it? Nope!

I stuck with it anyway but how inconsistent is that and why not a bloody discount?

Wierd!

[ QUOTE ]

I found most insurance companies insisted on one for my car but I'm sure there are some out there that don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is the opposite - so far no insurance company I've asked (and I've asked 10 in the last month since I've just renewed) will offer any discount for fitting a Tracker let alone insist on fitting one.

One company said that the OE fit Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser plus the standard deadlocking is sufficient for it to be a "low risk of theft" car, which is why it's the lower end of Group 20, i.e. 20E.

When I bought my first Porsche I was told it needed a Tracker for them to insure it (Tescos) so I didn't hunt around as I thought they'd all ask for it. No one since has ever asked for a Tracker on any of the cars which is good as I wouldn't want the car back if it was found after being stolen, not just for the fact that someone has nicked your pride and joy but the fact that it shows on the insurance register as being stolen and therefore really devalue your car come resale.

My S4 does have a Tracker but I didn't buy it from new so I wouldn't have paid to have it fitted. However I haven't renewed the subs from the previous owner as I don't want it back if stolen as previously mentioned.

When I bought my TT, all the insurers wanted a tracker or they wouldn't insure.

Buying the S4, noone was remotely interested in one - all the insurers said they wouldn't change a quote if it had one. I pay about £550 a year with First Alternative

Only other thing is Trackers are all well and good but they also can be bypassed by professional car takers, so I've never seen the point of forking out for one because S4's are likely to be either thrashed to death or stripped for parts, so like 18ME, why would I want it back?

New S4 please.