Tyres, Tyres, Tyres

rjgreen4

mine are looking a bit low, what make etc are the best for the S4 Cab.

At the moment I have pilot sports and to be honest they have kept me on the road in most conditions even when I give it some ( at the weekned of course).

views appreciated as will be bying this weekend

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You beat me to it!

Excellent tyres, the Eagle F1s. I've just fitted a pair to the rear of my S4 to replace the nearly-new Fulda Extremos that were on it when I got it (the fronts were included as part of the deal). The difference is night and day. 169144-ok.gif

Interesting... I'm after some new tyres soon too.

What's the wear rate on the GSD3s like? I spend most of my time pootling round London in a 2 wheel drive 3.0, so out-and-out grip not as important (well, except round some bits of the Wandsworth one-way system!).

Anyone know how the GSD3s compare to the Dunlop 9xxx tyres?

Also, anyone know of a good independent tyre place in SW London?

Cheers...

If maximum possible grip isn't the priority, go for Kumhos - harder rubber.

Have done 15000 miles in mine so far and the tread has hardly gone down! 169144-ok.gif

Also, they're much cheaper. 55+VAT per corner for 18".

My previous tyres were twice that price, but I can't say they had better grip than the Kumhos really. (They were DunlopSP 9000's)

Cheers beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What's the wear rate on the GSD3s like? I spend most of my time pootling round London in a 2 wheel drive 3.0, so out-and-out grip not as important (well, except round some bits of the Wandsworth one-way system!).

Cheers...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have GSD-3's and I have been doing some fact finding on the expected tyre wear and the reading isn't good compared to other makes. Anywhere from worst case 7000 miles to best case (but please someone counter this) 10000 miles when the tyres need changing. Of course that is fully dependent upon usage, keeping pressures constant, vehicular abuse etc etc.... 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif I'm switching back to Toyo T1-Rs when next change comes round. wink.gif

Michelin PS-2's are exorbitantly expensive compared to others but they are one hell of a tyre. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have GSD-3's and I have been doing some fact finding on the expected tyre wear and the reading isn't good compared to other makes. Anywhere from worst case 7000 miles to best case (but please someone counter this) 10000 miles when the tyres need changing. Of course that is fully dependent upon usage, keeping pressures constant, vehicular abuse etc etc.... 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif I'm switching back to Toyo T1-Rs when next change comes round. wink.gif

Michelin PS-2's are exorbitantly expensive compared to others but they are one hell of a tyre. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting on the wear rate, I'm coming up for 10000 on mine and still have 3-3.5mm left so should be good for another 6000 miles? And those who know me know I am not that conservative a driver and the tyres have only been rotated once in their life on the car.

I do hear Vredesteins are good though. INterested to hear the comments to back up the statement above 'don't use F1's'. I had them on my S3 and they were superb, hence why I changed onto them on my S4 when those horrid OEM Conti's expired

In my experience, harder wearing tyres lack the performance. The F1s are a relatively soft compound but this reflects in the excellent grip they offer in both wet & dry conditions. If you've spent a good few £££ on your car then don't compromise by fitting poor quality rubber, it's a false economy. smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

In my experience, harder wearing tyres lack the performance. The F1s are a relatively soft compound but this reflects in the excellent grip they offer in both wet & dry conditions. If you've spent a good few £££ on your car then don't compromise by fitting poor quality rubber, it's a false economy. smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack the performance? Acceleration is definitely not any slower with the harder tyres than the softer ones in my experience.

So am guessing you mean may slip slightly easier in the rain? or may give more lateral slip during a tight/fast corner?

But in dry conditions I can't tell the difference between hard and soft tyres really. Can't recommend the kumhos enough.

Harder tyres aren't a false economy if you want a good compromise between grip and durability IMO. 169144-ok.gif

The Kumho's are very highly rated by our Japanese friends. My father has a set on his Mazda and they are superb. Very grippy and they seem to last also. Also have a very attractive tread pattern. Best of all, they cost substantially less than other well known brands...

They were complete shite!

I was never confident with them from the start, and could not fathom what the fuss was about.

The only benifit was price circa £150 cheaper.

Then i started getting more and more noise. Specifically wheel bearing type noise.

It was the tyres, nothing to do with the wheel bearings at all.

I had them changed to prove it, and asked for them to be sent to GY for analysis.

Funny, others have had the same! "Am on my 3rd set of F1s. They sound well dodgy when they get low "

quite a few on the TT forum have had the same and "50p" shaped Goodyear eagle F1's