• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

You qualified!

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL Audis that could have been bought fitted with an RNS-E qualify ... OE fit or retrofit, A3(8P) or A4(B6/B7) or A6(C5).

Has anyone who has retrofitted an RNS-E to a B5 A4 or an 8L A3 or an A8 had a free upgrade from a dealer yet? That would be a real landmark...

I know, crazy!

well i new they were going to charge me because of a retro fit in a 2002 A4 Avant. I also new that they wernt going to let me have the reduced cost becuase (£100+vat) i didnt fall into the "catchment".

Basicaly i just paid the list price+vat.

good news was that i done the update then sold the disc set on flea bay for £200. im now using my backup copy with no problems. happy days. not free i know, but not bad for an old 02 retrofit

Thanks for the welcome.

[ QUOTE ]

I know, crazy!

well i new they were going to charge me because of a retro fit in a 2002 A4 Avant. I also new that they wernt going to let me have the reduced cost becuase (£100+vat) i didnt fall into the "catchment".

Basicaly i just paid the list price+vat.

good news was that i done the update then sold the disc set on flea bay for £200. im now using my backup copy with no problems. happy days. not free i know, but not bad for an old 02 retrofit

Thanks for the welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others with retrofits haven't been charged a penny.

It depends on the dealer, if you had rung around you could have got it for free and still be using a genuine DVD (copies can have readability problems at temperature extremes, come the summer...).

Mine's booked into Swansea Audi for Fridaybut they still insist on an hours labour charge.

I'll be telling them that I will watch them perform the upgrade and if I think it warrants an hours labour i'll happily pay, on the other hand if it consists of inserting the new DVD, waiting a few minutes and a manual restart then I wont be paying.

I've also e-mailed Tom Peterkin again for his advice.

[ QUOTE ]

Besides which there is no Labour Charge to the Customer as stated in the TMC Product Update (tell them to print it off and have a read...)

[/ QUOTE ]

As anyone got a copy of the TMC Product Update as it would be handy yo go prepared with that?

Had mine upgraded yesterday , so thought I would try it out on a drive home from Leicester this morning. Noticed a few things, firstly the RNS tried re-calculating routes more often than on the old DVD it spent 30 minutes at one point trying to work out new routes, coming down the M1, it told me to come off at Hemel, I was trying to get to Wokingham via the M25 / M4. Now there were no delays on these routes so TMC shouldn't have tried to re-route me off the M1.

I also noticed that the instruction to pull off a slip road were being shown way past when I had past them. Sometimes the location arrow seemed to be moving its own way around the route I was going irrespective of the direction I was travelling. Just wondering if the firmware upgrade does anything to the Satnav antenna?, hence affecting the true position of your car in relation to the map.

Now I could put this down to the weather, TMC providing many alerts to potential problems.

Finally if you don't have route guidance on, is it possible for TMC to still monitor potential traffic problems ahead. TMC is bloody useful but do you have to be in route guidance mode all the time for it to work properly ?

Sorry for the TMC 'newbie' questions grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Finally if you don't have route guidance on, is it possible for TMC to still monitor potential traffic problems ahead. TMC is bloody useful but do you have to be in route guidance mode all the time for it to work properly ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Press the INFO button and you can see all the current TMC warnings.

Scroll down the list and click on the one you want more details of, and there's the option of seeing it shown on a map.

Looks like I'll be paying an hours labour charge tomorrow frown.gif

Had a reply from Tom Peterkin and the end result is that for the older A6 chassis and Allroad (but only a range of chassis numbers) its more than just a new DVD. It does need to be hooked up and a 'technical uprade' performed before updating the firmware via DVD. The 'technical upgrade' has been around for a while and has never been a FOC item so I'll be paying for the 'technical upgrade' and then having the TMC upgrade FOC.

Does anyone know what this 'technical upgrade' actually is?

What utter bollox, the new MMI Allroad wasn't available at 2004, so you must have the last of the Allroad's that came with an RNS-E. Peter Tomkin is confused with the TMC update, which on an MMI AllRoad would not be required as it was built after the TMC was factory available.

I'd like to see the technician trying to do an MMI update on your RNS-E.

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'll be paying an hours labour charge tomorrow frown.gif

Had a reply from Tom Peterkin and the end result is that for the older A6 chassis and Allroad (but only a range of chassis numbers) its more than just a new DVD. It does need to be hooked up and a 'technical uprade' performed before updating the firmware via DVD. The 'technical upgrade' has been around for a while and has never been a FOC item so I'll be paying for the 'technical upgrade' and then having the TMC upgrade FOC.

Does anyone know what this 'technical upgrade' actually is?

[/ QUOTE ]

• bison unpinned this topic