The Olympic Thread

Andrew

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just looked at the line up for the football and who i'm likely to see in the quarter final, the match i'm going to be will be:

The runner up from Group A:

Great Britain

Senegal

UAE

Uruguay

vs the Winner of Group B:

Mexico

Korea

Gabon

Switzerland

I'm hoping for GB vs Mexico but as this level is a bit of an unknown suspect it'll end up being Senegal vs Switzerland :(

As long as we avoid UAE, Gabon or Korea it might give me some interest in the match.

Looking at the groups there seem to be a number of countries not taking part this time around, I thought Argentina and Nigeria usually played in them?

I don't know about Nigeria but Argentina failed to qualify.

Unlike many other Olympic events there are qualifiers for the football. We didn't have to - as hosts.+++

It went to the last match in South America and Argentina were reliant on Uruguay beating Brazil 5-0.

However, Brazil don't like Argentina....so they went out and hammered Uruguay 6-0.:roflmao:

Must say I'm now gettin very excited and am looking at the game more positively than ever. Saw my friend carry the torch last night and was surprised with the number of people watching, I think the nation is really getting behind it now.

Our media will always focus on negatives like the cost, security and "will things be ready on time". Let's face it though we know how to throw a party and this is going to be one hell of a show.

I've been looking forward to it for years now, ever since it was announced. I'm still gutted I won't be in the Olympic Stadium for the opening ceremony or any of the athletics. It's a genuine once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I'd have loved to have taken LittleMissMe.

Going to the football won't be the same but at least it'll give her a taste of it. She's already asked if she can have a Brazil shirt.:roflmao:

• 3 weeks later...