Iphone5 first impression

billy2shots

Ah I see, but as you say you can just put Do Not Disturb on, or prior to that put the phone on Mute and disable the vibrate function.

So, the choice is there and in that sense it could be said you get the best of both worlds.

A phone you'll not have to remember to switch on and a good nights sleep too.+++

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I see, but as you say you can just put Do Not Disturb on, or prior to that put the phone on Mute and disable the vibrate function.

So, the choice is there and in that sense it could be said you get the best of both worlds.

A phone you'll not have to remember to switch on and a good nights sleep too.+++

My point is why should you have to do something.

Very strange feature but I will just have to remember to plug it in first, start the charge then turn it off.

Some don't see it as an issue, I just can't see the point of such a feature. Just smacks of apple wanting to be different again.

I can only assume that the theory behind it is that it turns itself on incase it's being charged by a computer, and can therefore perform a sync and backup without you having to tell it to do so.

Either that or because of the, erm, not class leading battery life, it assumes the battery is flat, and you're charging it because you want to use it?

I can't honestly say i'd ever really thought about it until you mentioned it, I never turn my phone off so it's not an issue personally, and switching to 'Do not disturb' takes no longer than actually switching the phone off.

I quite like the DND feature, as you can set it so it will disturb you after certain circumstances, for example, if the same number calls several times, or you can exclude certain contacts so they will disturb you, very handy if you have teenage kids, pregnant wife etc etc, as people can still get hold of you in an emergency.

My point is why should you have to do something.

Very strange feature but I will just have to remember to plug it in first, start the charge then turn it off.

Some don't see it as an issue, I just can't see the point of such a feature. Just smacks of apple wanting to be different again.

See I'd disagree there when I've already explained why, to me, it has proven to be a very useful feature. No more taking a phone out without it switched on - which I'd done many a time before.+++

That's the nuts and bolts of it then. What works for some doesn't for others, can't please everyone.

Tipex your suggestion about syncing makes perfect sense.

I'm going to draw a line under all my complaints and start enjoying some of its better features.

Like cars there really is no 'best', just what suits that individual the best.

I think what would be good for this thread would be for billy2shots to use his iPhone for a few weeks and then come back and report if he still feels the same way or whether he has learned to reprogram his phone mentality to the way of the Apple.

I know when I got my first iPhone at the beginning of the year it took me a while to suss out the best way of doing things that on my previous phone were very simple.

However, as billy2shots says above, what works for some doesn't for others, although I imagine it is probably something like 99%/1% although given that they've sold millions of these things that 1% is a pretty large number of people.

I'd say it was entirely relevant, because you said it wasn't intuitive. The fact a 9 year old can pick it up and use it without ever asking a question would say it is. You said nothing about business settings etc, and nor has Billy (other than contacts). The response was directly in relation to you saying it wasn't intuitive - not the application of it in a particular environment.

How many phones did your nine year old have before having an iPhone? The point is that if you are used to certain functions being a one/two click solution then you arrive at an iPhone to find it is a six button solution, then it's annoying and it's not intuitive. How to make a call, send a text, play a music track or download an app can be deciphered in seconds on any handset and unless your little one is the next Steven Hawking then I guess she's not really doing a lot more than that.

It's branded and marketed brilliantly. But if something is crap, people don't buy it. It's why Rover went bust. I've tried Android devices, Blackberries (I have one too) and in my case it is easily the best device I could choose. Utterly reliable (in my case) and let's not forget as part of a stable of products that gel brilliantly, it's the obvious choice in combination (and I happen to think the same applies in isolation).

I didn't say it was crap - but you're not being obtuse?

You're saying you'd not buy an iPhone because you know you'd not like it. So, does that mean you've not spent, say, a week with one? If not, how can you say with total conviction it isn't the best there is? You're saying Apple iPhone buyers are sheep. I'm saying you're a typical anti-Apple person by the sounds of it (and I'm not intending to be offensive with that, I'm simply going off the facts you've given to date - you might have had one for a week or more and decided it wasn't for you).

Did you read my original post at all? I was quite clear that I had used iPhones and found them to be awkward and lacking. I also pointed out that I own a heap of other Apple devices so how that makes me a "typical anti-Apple person" I shall never figure out. (Again, you're not being obtuse though, right?) All that response does is illustrate how brilliant the Apple branding and marketing is...... don't like something on an Apple device, you're an Apple Hater....... criticise an Apple device, you're an Apple Hater......... consider there is a better device for you, you're an Apple Hater. *Yawn*

It says everything about my personal situation that I own other Apple products but chose to have the slight trouble of syncing a different phone type with them rather than have an iPhone.

Thing is Busby, I can't think of any of the 'terrible' features. What are they?

As mentioned previously, the ability to read,manage and edit documents was terrible in my experience. I don't want to have to carry a laptop or tablet just because I might have to change half a dozen cells on a spreadsheet or change one paragraph in a document. The lack of a profiles function was also not good for me - something I change within seconds and around 15 times a day. On the iPhone I had to go deep into the settings menu each time I wanted to change this which was a major nuisance. The screen was horribly inaccurate too - typing was a nightmare. The battery life was comical and using the same network provider in the same house, the reception on my wife's phone is nowhere near as good as on mine.

My over-riding point is that the sheep argument is tired and doesn't work - people will not buy shite if you label it gold.

Here we are again.... I didn't say it was shite. No-one has said it doesn't work or isn't good at certain things but to ask me to believe that people don't get an iPhone because it's "the thing to have" is almost laughable. Millions of people have bought iPhones for that exact reason and even if they did think certain features were rubbish they probably don't say as they'll be branded an Apple Hater - even if they have thousands of pounds worth of other Apple products :ffs:

Edited by Busby

I know when I got my first iPhone at the beginning of the year it took me a while to suss out the best way of doing things that on my previous phone were very simple.

But they are so intuitive that a nine year old didn't need any help. You must be an Apple Hater.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47016[/ATTACH]

Surely all you need to do is accept that what is best or right for one person isn't always the same for the next.

Apples strong support is not dissimilar to the Nokia v others debates pre smart phones. Many apple users took the iPhone as the first taster of smart phone technology, thus are loyal.

The clear fact that iPhone apps took a big jump on other technology (who have now caught up) meant that for some the iPhone had no equals. Now it has, and as some chose a Audi over a BMW, some will do the same with phone type.

I'm underwhelmed by the 4s I have used for two weeks, but it's still a few light years up on the non smart phone I had been using for 4 years.

Sometimes I do wonder if I really need anything other than a device that rings and makes calls.

Surely all you need to do is accept that what is best or right for one person isn't always the same for the next.

100% agree Chris. And herein lies the problem, Billy mentioned a couple of genuine concerns and his own first impressions and the response is "my child can do it", "my nan can do it", "it's the best phone because most people buy them", etc, etc.

My 2p worth.

I've just started using a 4S after almost 2 years with a Galaxy S running Android. A lot of my first impressions echo billy's to be honest. It shouldn't be such a ballache to use a custom ringtone or a custom message alert tone. But it is so there you go. I find the bluetooth functionality (or lack of it) bizarre. It can't be used to transmit data? Isn't that one the things bluetooth was invented for? I find the screen less accurate than the Samsung and not as clear. And it's a bit smaller.

And I really miss the traditional keypad of the Galaxy. You could select a QWERTY keyboard but I always used the traditional keypad and predictive text. I'm finding texting on the 4S takes much longer, I make more mistakes and I get frustrated trying to hit the little letters. I could text and drive and talk on my works phone at the same time with the Galaxy. Now I'm spilling my coffee.

My loathing of iTunes is well documented. I always said Apple managed to fcuk up something as simple as an MP3 player so it's no surprise they've made what I would consider some basic features of a phone so bloody complicated.

And I've had zero bother with Android. I update it whenever necessary and I find it a doddle to use.

But, it was my choice to change.

I knew some of the above before I swapped. The new Galaxys have grown silly big for me and I fancied something different. I guess there's a very large element of comparing things to what you know best. Switching from Android/Galaxys to IOS/Iphones and vice versa is always going to throw up issues for most users.

I've got the iphone on a 12 month deal so will see how I get on with it. If I hate it, no matter, I'll just shop around for the something else next time. If I grow to love it as much as I loved the Galaxy S, then whoopee doo.

Edited by Milo

How many phones did your nine year old have before having an iPhone?

Two. An LG thingywotsit (sorry!) and a Blackberry.

The point is that if you are used to certain functions being a one/two click solution then you arrive at an iPhone to find it is a six button solution, then it's annoying and it's not intuitive. How to make a call, send a text, play a music track or download an app can be deciphered in seconds on any handset and unless your little one is the next Steven Hawking then I guess she's not really doing a lot more than that.

You'd be surprised. But not just her - all her friends too. Facetime is bloody rife with kids of this age and they're forever on that! But no, seriously, you're not far off the truth. She does read books on it though and I know that because she downloaded 4 on my iTunes account before I noticed. So that was obviously intuitive enough. She also installed Amazon Kindle herself and went and bought one on there and said she thought they were 'free'. We've sorted that one since.:roflmao:

Uses Siri quite a bit, plays a lot of games on it, uses the calculator and uses email on it too. But to be fair I don't think that's far off what most adults would be doing with it!

I didn't say it was crap - but you're not being obtuse?

Did you read my original post at all? I was quite clear that I had used iPhones and found them to be awkward and lacking. I also pointed out that I own a heap of other Apple devices so how that makes me a "typical anti-Apple person" I shall never figure out. (Again, you're not being obtuse though, right?) All that response does is illustrate how brilliant the Apple branding and marketing is...... don't like something on an Apple device, you're an Apple Hater....... criticise an Apple device, you're an Apple Hater......... consider there is a better device for you, you're an Apple Hater. *Yawn*

I'm not sure what else someone is meant to think when you say you think "Most" iPhone owners are sheep. It's incredibly generic and a very broadsword approach, surely? Fair enough, you didn't say it was crap, but your post inferred it in my opinion.

As mentioned previously, the ability to read,manage and edit documents was terrible in my experience. I don't want to have to carry a laptop or tablet just because I might have to change half a dozen cells on a spreadsheet or change one paragraph in a document. The lack of a profiles function was also not good for me - something I change within seconds and around 15 times a day. On the iPhone I had to go deep into the settings menu each time I wanted to change this which was a major nuisance. The screen was horribly inaccurate too - typing was a nightmare. The battery life was comical and using the same network provider in the same house, the reception on my wife's phone is nowhere near as good as on mine.

I don't disagree with you on that Busby - and that's why I have an iPad. Editing on an iPhone must be the realm of idiots. We'll not argue that. But - I might want to read one and in that regard I don't see an issue with it. The same goes for Spreadsheets - I'd use my iPad. I might review them on a plane on my iPhone when I don't want to get my iPad out of the overhead locker, but edit them on an iPhone? Nope.

However, I can't say I've used a device where I find that to be any different. Android or otherwise.

Battery life has never been an issue to me. I charge it overnight and it lasts me all day no problem at all. Even when I'm up from 4.30am and back in at 10.30pm - it might get to 5-6%, but it never runs out on me. But, I will say this - the reason I have a Blackberry too is as an emergency device. So if it ever does happen - I have a method of making calls. Of course I'd concede it's battery life isn't as good as many other phones, but then again I don't think many other phones offer a fraction of what it does in functionality, speed and clarity of display - so it's horses for courses in my opinion.

ask me to believe that people don't get an iPhone because it's "the thing to have" is almost laughable. Millions of people have bought iPhones for that exact reason and even if they did think certain features were rubbish they probably don't say as they'll be branded an Apple Hater - even if they have thousands of pounds worth of other Apple products :ffs:

I'm sure some people do Busby. I'm merely saying I think that you must be even more cynical than I am if you think it is "Most" people. There'll be some - but they'll be in the minority in my opinion.

Ever thought of anger management? I'm sure there's an app for that. . :grin: (+++)

100% agree Chris. And herein lies the problem, Billy mentioned a couple of genuine concerns and his own first impressions and the response is "my child can do it", "my nan can do it", "it's the best phone because most people buy them", etc, etc.

Wow, you've got it bad. If you'd seen much of the posts between myself and Billy you'd also know much of what is said is somewhat in jest or baits a certain type of response.+++

And I really miss the traditional keypad of the Galaxy. You could select a QWERTY keyboard but I always used the traditional keypad and predictive text. I'm finding texting on the 4S takes much longer

Use Siri. You'd be surprised how a bit of time put into it and familiarising yourself with it yields big rewards.+++

Every text I ever send is via Siri, as are emails.

Use Siri. You'd be surprised how a bit of time put into it and familiarising yourself with it yields big rewards.+++

Every text I ever send is via Siri, as are emails.

That must be really useful in airport lounges and on trains. I don't know how I live without it :P