Why does google and youtube think I'm in Italy?

drpellypo

So my ip is a 151. Address. Looking this up on sites like whatsmyip back this up and puts my location as the town I live in. However, google et al seems to think I'm in Italy. So google ads, default google page, youtube ads, are all Italian. How do I fix this, anybody any ideas? Have tried several router reboots, leaving off overnight etc, all to no avail.

If you're saying YouTube appears in Italian, at the bottom of all YouTube pages is a Language/Country setting. Change it.

Even if you change that and YouTube locates your IP to another country you can't get all videos available in the UK - we use a proxy server in Germany and lots of stuff is barred because of GEMA rules, for example.

Even if you change that and YouTube locates your IP to another country you can't get all videos available in the UK - we use a proxy server in Germany and lots of stuff is barred because of GEMA rules, for example.

Yes, of course that's true.  However, I'm going purely on the basis that he says no other sites do it and he's tracked his IP to the UK.+++

I appreciate it doesn't mean Google won't place him elsewhere, but I'm just trying to give him an option.

Bing is doing very well indeed

I recently did an analysis of search (organic) traffic I was receiving and found the results astonishing.  It was for a variety of key phrases, all of which were ranked No.1 on Google.co.uk and 1 to 3 on Yahoo! and Bing.

Bearing in mind that Google once had 91% of the UK search market, you can see why I was surprised....

Google - 50%

Bing - 30%

Yahoo! - 14%

Others - 6%

I was so surprised I ran the same tests for the 3 months prior to the period, and got this:

Google - 51%

Bing - 29%

Yahoo - 16%

Others - 4%

So despite there being variances, and of course the fact this is a tiny test, there are changes afoot.  The number of systems out there on which Bing is bundled, pre-configured, as default search is very high too - and not everyone changes it.

I only ever use Google.

Yes. This. All adverts are Italian and loads of videos I used to be able to see, I now can't.