Tut...Tut...Tut...

Cuprabob

Coal is still cheaper, but it's dirty, so a lot of people (consumers) don't like using it. There's other solid fuels which aren't as dirty which are used more than coal.

Didn't they bring out smokeless coal to combat the smog problem? The clean air act was (if I recall back to my school days) about visible pollutants?

Coal wasn't phased out due to pollution, it was overtaken by cheaper, easier and better methods to heat houses such as gas central heating, less pollution was simply a happy by product of that.

Ahem:

Clean Air Act 1956

1956 CHAPTER 52

An Act to make provision for abating the pollution of the air.

[5th July, 1956]

Be it enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :—

Dark Smoke

1. Prohibition of dark smoke from chimneys

(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, dark smoke shall not be emitted from a chimney of any building, and if, on any day, dark smoke is so emitted, the occupier of the building shall be guilty of an offence.

Seems clear enough to me :coffee:

Section 3 then went on to require that new furnaces, boilers etc be smokeless, effectively banning new installations of the old sorts of coal furnaces.

• Like 1

Seems that overnight the US are tightening up on testing of new cars. Seems they might not trust them, no idea why. 

US regulators have said they are tightening up emissions testing following the VW scandal.

The Environmental Protection Agency said it had written to all carmakers to tell them of the more stringent tests. These will now focus more on the kinds of so-called defeat devices used by VW to disguise emissions during lab tests.

Christopher Grundler, director of the agency's Office of Transportation & Air Quality, said:

Today we are putting vehicle manufacturers on notice that our testing is going to include additional evaluation and tests.We're not going to tell them what these tests are, they don't need to know.

Funny isn't it, I didn't see a single post defending the banks when they did similar, they were, and it seems to many still are, the worst of the worst, they even come in and kill your kids at night the lot.

A car firm does the same and they can't do any wrong, there was no concern about the hundreds of thousands of people that work for banks not involved in Libor at all, in admin, IT etc. or the other people that hang off them at the time, but if its a car company thats different.

Erm no.

So bringing down the world economy is now being compared to defeating an emmissions test?

Lets face it every one and his dog knows that Diesel is the fuel of satan

The EU positively discrimnated against petrol and geared their whole policy to promoting diesel, I would suggest suing them first as Boris was advocating doing long before this bump in the road came along

Does anyone think that this was not a contributing factor in all of this?

We bring along a whole raft of requirements and directives including a tonne of additional weight to accomodate all the extra safety equipment we require, and then expect the cars to do more to the gallon and emit less pollution, last time I checked the more weight you had to lug around the more fuel was required and more environmental impact you created, so cake and eat it springs to mind

Quote from Daily Telegraph article:

Meanwhile, research by Emissions Analytics, a data analysis company, found only five of 200 diesel cars designed to meet “Euro 6” rules – cleaner air regulations brought in this month – were likely to pass the retests ordered by the Department for Transport.

So things progress and continue to get worse for the VW group. 

Switzerland ban all VW EU5 cars from sale which isn't going to be great but I don't think its as bad as the headline makes out as they will sell EU6 complaint cars I believe. 

VW seem to have been told internally about the defeat device at board level a few years ago and didn't do anything which puts things in an even worse light.

Share price had a bounce but is back down again and still no update as to exactly which cars are involved and how the issue will be resolved.

And lastly instead of a new MPG / emissions test to be introduced in 2017, it looks like something will be in next year on a rolling road with full acceleration and high speed running all included as they are absent from current testing and obviously produce the most emissions / MPG hit.  It seems the US are going to do on road testing straight away. 

VW seem to have been told internally about the defeat device at board level a few years ago and didn't do anything which puts things in an even worse light

Oooh, that's potentially very bad news for them.  Handy Excuse No. 1 just left the building. 

Audi says 2.1 million cars have 'cheat' emissions software.

Some 1.42 million Audi vehicles with so-called EU5 engines are affected in Western Europe, with 577,000 in Germany and almost 13,000 in the United States, a spokesman for Ingolstadt-based Audi said on Monday.

Affected model lines include the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, TT, Q3 and Q5, the spokesman said.

VW said last week around 11 million cars of its group brands worldwide are affected by the diesel emissions scandal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

Edited by Andy_Bangle