[Audi A3/S3] 160mph and STILL going!!!

stevebalfe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gentlemen,

i would like to say that speed is always mentioned cos its easy to measure. however, you need to take into account driver skill, the road, the conditions and the car.

no one moans about planes doing 600mph. but if something got in their way, they aint even got the floor to slow them down.

sorry but speed alone is not dangerous. its other factors.

its more likely that i'd feel safer at 100+ in a large modern audi than at 50 in a feckin smart car.

[ QUOTE ]

Hence my reference to the Autobahn where traffic, road conditions and speed laws allow for such

[/ QUOTE ]

What Road conditions/traffic conditions make cruising at 150 in Germany any safer than in the UK (quality of tarmac)?

IMO, the only difference is that one is legal and one is not.

Well for one, Germans know that it's very possible that the vehicle coming up behind them could be going so fast NONO3.GIF Therefore, the AWARENESS is there. In the UK, who's gonna see a car coming up behind them and honestly expect it to be going 150+ ?? Naturally, I'm speaking in generalizations but the point remains.

Mow I've never seen a UK road, but can tell you that around here, the stretches of autobahn without limits are those outside of rural areas and where there is a minimal number of exit/entrances, etc. So the traffic "Pattern" stays pretty consistant. Of course, there's a speed limit as soon as you get back into more populated areas. grin.gif

beerchug.gif

Here's my 10p worth, bit of a reality check to think about...

Visited a friend of mine in hospital the other day after he lost control racing his mate at about 100mph and sustained some horrendous head injuries. He's just turned 18 and was one of the most promising wakeboarders in the country, competed at the worlds etc, he's going to be really lucky if he's able to take care of himself for the rest of his life, let alone do anything else.

Ok, he wasn't driving anything as stable or tough as an Audi, and hasn't been driving as long as most of us have. But, we still don't know what caused the accident, could have been a tyre blow out, mechanical failure, or just driver error, all of which can happen to even the best car and driver.

Rolling any car without a cage, harnesses and helmeted driver, at 100mph plus is going to be very messy, it's a miracle he got out alive (he was given 30% chance of survival initially).

Is it really worth risking spending the rest of your life completely dependent on others, unable to do any of the things you love (like driving!), for the sake of proving to someone that you've got the faster car?

As other have mentioned in this thread, take it to the track and get involved in proper motorsport. Having raced motocross for years, I promise you that you'll get a way bigger rush from battling with someone on the track than you'll ever get on the road, without all the guilt afterwards!

160mph is not smart but sure is hell fun!!!!, i mean did everyone here buy a S3 to drive like a granny, no I dont condone speed as Ive been caught in the past but in the right circumstances where possible, speed may only kill the driver and he's the one in control and if no risk to anyone else then so what, chances are few and far but ive done it once but it wasnt in my s3 in fact even tho i think it would be poss i wouldnt like it, im not sure what im trying to say but i guess its something like theres a time and a place for everything?

[ QUOTE ]

160mph is not smart but sure is hell fun!!!!, i mean did everyone here buy a S3 to drive like a granny, no I dont condone speed as Ive been caught in the past but in the right circumstances where possible, speed may only kill the driver and he's the one in control and if no risk to anyone else then so what, chances are few and far but ive done it once but it wasnt in my s3 in fact even tho i think it would be poss i wouldnt like it, im not sure what im trying to say but i guess its something like theres a time and a place for everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add my friend spu out at 135 in a old 5 series bmw luckily nothing else was hit but he survived without a scratch, so again circustances are never the same

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add my friend spu out at 135 in a old 5 series bmw luckily nothing else was hit but he survived without a scratch, so again circustances are never the same

[/ QUOTE ]I wouldnt try it against any one at that speed thats my point

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else is always involved, whether it's grieving friends and relatives, or your family who need to feed you, wash you and change your nappies for the rest of your life.

Guys!! and fekr.gif alike!!

Firstly, thanks for all the posts on this issue. As i was the one who commited this haynel crime and without thought posted my findings/feelings on here, i would like to add something, its already been kinda said but its just my point of view.

Ive been driving now for over 17 years and not once had an accident, yes i know, thats tempting fait, but the point is, i believe it is posible to drive fast and safe. Some people driving fast is dangerous, but those people are the ones that usually cause the accidents when at high speeds through losing there nerve and over steering which as most of us will know, at anything 100mhp+ means the slightest twich and the car changes lane.

If you dont like speed, dont do it, if you cant handle speed, why try proving you can!? If when at a 100+ you get a nott in your stomache, for ****s sake slow down because your the person that will end up making the nervous mistake and take out someone through driver error.

Now im not saying that im perfect, or can drive a car any better than anyone else, and yes before someones says, yes i admit, should anything happen at 160mph, your pretty much dead, yes yes, i know, and thats the rush, but i do know my limits, and i always test and trial the limits of any car i own before really pushing it to the limits.

Of course im not going to just jump into a car and think lets hit the motorway and do 115mph+ or starting speeding round B roads like a nut without knowing the cars vunrabilities first in handling and braking, i would hope that not many who dont know there cars intermately would.

What to me makes driving either street racing (which is to me the worst offender of potentially harming others unless done at 2am in the morning ;-) ) or at high speeds on either Autobahns, Motorways or duel carriage ways, as safe as it ever could possibly be is this, know your car, know its limits, know yourself and your limits, and DONT drive beyond any of those limits!

We all have at some point had near misses, or worse, and its how we either learn or move on from that that matters.

So, to summerise:

If you hate driving fast, unlike those of us that buy a performance car to have that rush of speed and power available and to use freely, do us all a favour and go buy yourself a 1.5 Hyundia Accent! 169144-ok.gif

If you enjoy cruising along at 90mph but have no intension of going any quicker and perhaps own a decent car, then please, resect us more adventrouse peeps and do us a favour, get out of the outside lane!! Thank you beerchug.gif

If however your a true petrol head, adore ripping out 0 - 60's or 0 - 100 whenever it takes your fancy or plain old have a love of speed and pushing your performance cars hard, then get in touch and lets organise a meet some weekend, have a chat, laugh and get together to discuss the other type of drowning on, preaching yet none practising people, and get our cars on a track somewhere a blast em around till our hearts content. FIREdevil.gif

Wannabe speedsters who have slagged me and others off for this post and peoples various points of view, you need not turn up! NONO3.GIF

You know who you are!! the_finger.gif

Right, im signing off to get some work done, sat in the office posting away here :-)

Respect guys!

Steve

[ QUOTE ]

Well for one, Germans know that it's very possible that the vehicle coming up behind them could be going so fast NONO3.GIF Therefore, the AWARENESS is there. In the UK, who's gonna see a car coming up behind them and honestly expect it to be going 150+ ?? Naturally, I'm speaking in generalizations but the point remains.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about wildlife, tyre blowouts, debris and other accidents etc???

I agree that driving attitudes are different in Germany and that people are more aware of other speeding vehicles. but accidents by their very nature are caused by 'accident' be it driver error or an animal or a blowout. For the sake of me and other road users, i'd rather be going 70 than 160 if that happens!

znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

And what about wildlife, tyre blowouts, debris and other accidents etc???

[/ QUOTE ]

The wildlife is usually either smattered on my front grill or windscreen, other than that, oh and the odd bump i tend feel from time to time, never really sure what that is pengy.gif other than that, i make it a point to steer clear of buffalow ranches!! 169144-ok.gif

Tyre blow outs, agreed, nothing you can do about that at 100mph+ except plug your arse and hope for the best if it happens! Wouldnt want to be cut out of my car to then be seen as sliding in my own poo! NONO3.GIF

and as for the bebris and other acciedents, well, debris unless seriously big, like a house brick or bigger isnt really gonna do much, and what the hell is it doing bouncing around the autobahn anyway, and other accidents, well unless im we're really unlucky, we should see the emergency lights well before we get to the scene.

So,all in all, i think that we could worry about everything and anything if we wanted, but whats the point, i could be run over by some mad barsteward in a barmy fast car as i cross the street, so live now, worry tomorrow and get on with life in the only way that makes you happy. And this is where its different for everyone.

p.s my girlfriend, she just bought a 'G' reg Nova GTE in white yelrotflmao.gif now them were the days eh lads! XR3i's and RS Turbo customs, ahhhhhhhh blissful memories and romping around speed camera free. Seems like yesterday.

Laterzzzzzzzzz sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

p.s my girlfriend, she just bought a 'G' reg Nova GTE in white yelrotflmao.gif now them were the days eh lads! XR3i's and RS Turbo customs, ahhhhhhhh blissful memories and romping around speed camera free. Seems like yesterday.Laterzzzzzzzzz sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nova 1.3 SR, now that's a legend!

Hi Paul: Motorcross....

I completly agree, i still activley ride MX and have done for 15 years, over this period i've owned 350-BHP cossies, 275-BHP Integrales and now own near on 300bhp S3,

Like the rest of us enthusiast car owners... i am no saint by anymeans but totally respect other roadusers and people travelling in my car - (that is the biker in me i suppose)- all my enthusiasm to go as fast as i can is definatlly kept to the track where i dont really care about the people around me as long as i beat them laugh.gif

NOTHING in this world has yet give me more buzzes and pure adrelinin rushes than my weany 12-15 BHP SRS-Honda CR125.

There has to be a morale in the above somewhere.....

Im sure you will agree that Anybody can go fast in a straight line---- put that same person around an organised track event and it quickly seperates the men from the boys.

When you can achieve 'MEN' status you can brag,articulate,make a statement, whatever regarding your laptimes and finishing positions instead of Maximum MPH.

Nuff Said.

Regards

Steve'ooooo

P.S: My freinds boy rides an RM80 and P***ises all over us, so its not all about Power and BHP.

The little fekr.gif

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Paul: Motorcross....

I completly agree, i still activley ride MX and have done for 15 years, over this period i've owned 350-BHP cossies, 275-BHP Integrales and now own near on 300bhp S3,

Like the rest of us enthusiast car owners... i am no saint by anymeans but totally respect other roadusers and people travelling in my car - (that is the biker in me i suppose)- all my enthusiasm to go as fast as i can is definatlly kept to the track where i dont really care about the people around me as long as i beat them laugh.gif

NOTHING in this world has yet give me more buzzes and pure adrelinin rushes than my weany 12-15 BHP SRS-Honda CR125.

There has to be a morale in the above somewhere.....

Im sure you will agree that Anybody can go fast in a straight line---- put that same person around an organised track event and it quickly seperates the men from the boys.

When you can achieve 'MEN' status you can brag,articulate,make a statement, whatever regarding your laptimes and finishing positions instead of Maximum MPH.

Nuff Said.

Regards

Steve'ooooo

P.S: My freinds boy rides an RM80 and P***ises all over us, so its not all about Power and BHP.

The little fekr.gif

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do motocross, but stopped a couple of years ago as my bikes got stolen. I had a KX125, then a YZ125. The YZ was the bollocks... Still i was a bit of a nutter on them i recon it was probably a good thing, i might not have been still here in one piece... crazy.gif

I think certain cars now doing that sort of speed can be a piece of pi55. I have done silly speeds in my golf (in the past sekret.gif) but it would be a bit nerve racking driving a speed on long stretches. When i think it can be ok to do is if you have a really powerful car and do it in spurts on a clear road. I.e come round a corner long straight and squirt... mmm

I remember when i first drove the SL65 I was at about 60, floored it. Let the back end twitch and the traction control do the work, then in the blink of an eye, I was at 150 EEK2.GIF Have to admit in that car it wasn’t the speed that shocked me, twas the acceleration just ridiculous smashfreakB.gif

But that was not for a long period, just up to speed then back down again, it was all over very quickly. And i am not condoning speeding.

Mad on Audi, but presumably not mad on staying alive!

At the end of the day, whatever you say, doing 160mph, over twice the legal limit, on a public road is highly irresponsible and downright selfish.

If you go into the back of a family car at 160mph carrying mother and child, your're all dead, you've killed them. You chose to put yourself at risk, they didn't, they had no choice. Think of the devastation to their family. Think how you'd like it if someone went into the back of your girlfriend or your parents at 160mph and killed them.

You really are no better than some Twoccer or Chav in his Max Power mobile. You've got a nice classy car that you say you need to make you look professional and not like a boy racer. Start acting like a professional rather than a boy racer.

If you want to drive at speed, do it somewhere where you can legally and away from everyone else, like on a track, not where you could kill innocents.

I expect some will probably rubbish this saying 'we've got performance cars so want to drive really fast coz we can handle it'. Fine, don't do it on the road. Think of the dearest person to you, how would you feel if they were killed by some selfish idiot doing 160mph tonight?

Nuff sed.

Lots of comments!

Time for my 1/2pence worth.

Any speed is dangerous if something untoward happens be it 85 mph or 160mph! The buzz is good.

Having had a standard S3 (210bhp) speedo reading over 150mph on a foreign motorway (the french have great roads!) when the book speed was 148mph, I have some doubt over the accuracy of the speedos at such high speed. Passenger in a Scoob Sti PPP at over 160mph with more on tap coming back from Le Mans was good too!

With regards to the A3 3.2tuning, why not buy an evo/scoob or RS4/S4.

The 0-60 and 0-100 times are largely irrelevant in real world, it is down to the driver, roadcraft and the ability of vehicle to go round corners. Audis don't do corners as well as the evo's and scoobs of this world! And just to rub salt into the wound the humble astra gsi turbo will take out boxter 2.7!, and is quicker (in my opinion, having owned S3 too for a long time) than an S3 - admittedly understeer is a pain but at least the steering communicates with driver!

Driving at very high speed over here, whilst exhilarating, is somewhat daft, if you are caught it's straight to jail!

For something quick, get a bike. Work associate with 550bhp rs6 got bored and got a ducati 999r too!

Anyway, keep safe, don't be daft and check the tyre pressures and diff oil!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while so thought I start with something a smidgen serious....

I'm not going to start with the speeding thing and the rights and wrongs of doing as I am definitely in no position to lecture as some will know. However on the autobahn issue I have done 150-160 many times and had no fears or knots in my stomach, but the fact is it's not you (In my case) that you need to be fearful of, but of other road users quite often. I have been reminded of this fact just recently by a guy pulling out on me at 70-80 mph on a dual carriageway, completely his fault, and reading about the test driver that was jailed last year, see below.

A test driver for DaimlerChrysler was jailed for 18 months earlier this year for driving up behind another car so fast that its 21-year-old driver swerved and crashed - killing herself and her two-year-old daughter.

Rolf Fischer, 34 - whose nickname was "Turbo Rolf" - was said to have been driving at up to 160mph in his Mercedes on the A5 near Karlsruhe. He was convicted of causing death through negligence and dangerous driving. The judge blamed the accident on Fischer's speed and "jostling" - approaching slower drivers at high speed, braking only at the last minute. Last week, Fischer appealed against the verdict and a decision is due on July 29.

I guess I'll keep on doing what I do, but I am very cautious these days for fear of speeding tickets more than anything. smirk.gif

i know what you mean , i too am more worried about the cops pulling you than some may swerve in to you, or not realise , you can always feel in controll but it takes something like the weather or a 3rd party to make all the difference, the thing that scared me once was i was with a friend , who i always thought was a quick but safe driver, anyways it was snowing , very slippy, im always over careful when the 3rd party is at play, anyways, his driving style did not change at all..... i think education is the way forward,